Survivalist Forum banner

Same ammo for handgun & rifle

18K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Ammo 
#1 ·
Just curious . How many of you out there have a hangun and carbine/rifle in the same caliber ? What do you have ?
IMO , it would be the best option if you had to get the heck out of dodge in a hurry .
Post pics if you have them . I love pics of guns .

#2 ·
.357 rifle and handguns. Of course, there's .22lr, .45 and others available. Wise use of resources and stocking only one kind of ammo for multiple uses makes sense. .223 works for some folks, the AK pistols if that suits your fancy. Any number of ways to use this principle in planning.

#3 ·
Just an opinion but I can't see the logic behind getting an underpowered rifle just because the same ammo as your pistol can be used in it. If it were that good of an idea the military would be using 45 ACP / 9mm carbines or 5.56 mm handguns. Handguns and rifles have totally different applications. Just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
Where I to get a pistol caliber carbine, I would go with .45ACP as we have plenty for our pistols now. I would not consider it in a MBR role however. It would a tier 3 weapon for non-security personal (older kids, elders, primary care givers etc). Last ditch defense at 100 yards or less. Carbines are very handy, more accurate than a pistol and the .45 will do the job with little recoil or report.

#7 ·
I was talking about for relatively close-up hunting. Certainly not a MBR caliber but I can think of lots of lead I'd rather be hit with than 180gr bullet screaming out the end of my Marlin .357 rifle. :rolleyes: What rattles my jaw coming out of a handgun is hardly a bump coming out of that rifle much faster. :eek:

#10 ·
I have been trying to do this for years, Marlin threw a wrench in it when they discontinued the Camp 45, I would use a Winchester 94 or Marlin 1894 in .357 or 44 But I don't want to carry a revolver, Ruger and their P9 and P40 Carbine are nice but as usual Ruger screwed up and discontinued them.

Olimpic arms make an AR type rifle that will take Glock 17 and 22 magazines, I'm not a big fan of Olimpic Arms though.

I have been seriously considering getting a Thompson contender carbine in 45 ACP, But that is one of many ideas that I have bounceing around in my head.

#11 ·
I have a Keltec Sub2K, and a Daewoo 9mm that both use S&W magazines. No it is not the best solution, but it will gwt the job done out to 100m. My father has a 357 Puma, and a Rossi 971, and this allows for 1 caliber to be handled. This is more of a advantage in a E&E situation than in a defensive holding action especially if you are defending from the BOL, and have full access to the armory.

#13 ·
I have been thinking about getting a MARLIN MODEL CAMP-9 or Camp-45 since I have the pistol's that use the same mags. Would be a fun gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.