Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Best Gas Mask To Buy

Advertise Here

I was wondering what gas mask is the all around best.
Filter Life
Protection (Protects from EVERYTHING)
Shelf Life
everything

I would like it to be reasonably priced. But list them all even if they are pricey.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceAge55 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAge55 View Post
I was wondering what gas mask is the all around best.
Filter Life
Protection (Protects from EVERYTHING)
Shelf Life
everything

I would like it to be reasonably priced. But list them all even if they are pricey.
I don't think you'll find a filter that will protect you from everything...
Old 06-27-2009, 01:15 PM

I prefer the UK S10 Mask with a NATO standard 40mm screw thread.

The mask has a shelf life of 20 years if properly cared for.
The NATO Filters, so long as the vacuum seal is intact, have a shelf life of 10 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Urban Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,982 Posts

If you do a search on this site for topics regarding "Gas Masks". You will find that there have been past discussions regarding Gas Mask suggestions, opinions, websites, etc.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Hiker

We bought two MSA Advantage 1000s (police riot control masks) "used" for $20.00 (ebay). Although "used" they appear "unused". My other half who was in the army thinks they are new and not used, and only called used because they are not in the original packaging. The one thing I like about the Advantage, is that it is very lightweight, and uses elastic bands for the straps. New, these little puppies run about $230.00 and do not come with any canisters.

Also, you can order "parts" if anything is damaged on the mask. One other thing I like about it, is the nose piece, that prevents the shield from fogging up. The one thing I don't like about it, is there is no drink tube.

The main problem, however, with the Advantage is that they are not standard 40mm threads. The only canister that will fit an Advantage is made by MSA, and comes at a premium. The only canister for this model is a CS/CB. These little guys run about $50-60 a piece or $200+ for a box of six.

However, MSA does have an adapter that will allow you to use any standard 40mm NATO thread canister. These run between $25-$35. My only problem is that, from what I have found, 40mm canisters only come in CS/CB.

So, we are going to be buying an adapter from MSA where we can use the MSA Millenium canisters (CBRN) instead. I do not know if this adapter is the same as the above. These run $25. I'd have to look up the part numbers. If it is the same part, then we would probably buy a few 40mm CB/CS canisters and save our "good" CBRN canisters for a real SHTF event.

The MSA Millenium CBRN canisters (818263) are NIOSH certified for gas/vapor removal (CS/CB) and particulate removal (RN). We got our hands on four of them, unopened, with a 2011 expiration date for $22 including shipping from a freight recovery company.

So basically for under $100, we have two rather good gas masks. Some of you may think going CBRN is extreme however, you don't live on the West coast with a raving childish temper tantrum throwing, attention screaming moron in North Korea threatening to "fire a shower" of nukes on the west coast.

If anything I have typed in this is incorrect, please let me know. Trying to learn the mysteries of gas masks, abbreviations, what canister fits what, what part number is what, has been quite an experience.

EDIT: One other thing I forgot, was that we got two new, in unopened package, Butyl Coated Gas Mask Hoods for the Advantage, also off ebay. These were, without shipping $10 a piece. So for $20 we got over $240 worth of hoods (I can't believe those stupid things run $120+ a piece!). As for buying the masks off of ebay, the seller has sold quite a few of them with positive feedback (a large feedback), and I guess our opinion was instead of spending $450+ for two new ones, we could buy 10 of them for under $100 and pretty sure we could get two good ones out of that, or just buy the parts for it. But we got two good ones straight off the bat. But as always, buyer beware!

Last edited by YankeeGal; 06-28-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Prepared in NH

Those Advantage 1000's look like good gas masks.

Last edited by NHCraigT; 06-28-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Prepared in NH

FWIW: http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...771#post753771

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Would a m40 gas mask protect from anthrax the flu and airborne ebola
Old 06-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,405 Times in 3,206 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAge55 View Post
Would a m40 gas mask protect from anthrax the flu and airborne ebola
only if you put a filter on it
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 PM

I personally have the old Russian GP-5 Gas Mask and it seems pretty decent to me, especially for the price....and well I also have the MCU-2A/P Gas Mask, and the old M17-A2 Mask.

I am not sure which Mask could be considered the best, but I'd say for me that the MCU-2A/P and my GP-5 are good. I've heard the M17 can only protect against tear gas and the like now.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,252 Posts

I'd recommend you do your research in order to fully understand the limitations of your equipment....

Especially if you are putting so much faith in it to protect one's self.

Nothing protects you from everything....

I think it's more important to understand how NBC will affect you first and then design the plan to deal with it around that.

Know the difference between an early warning system and a detection system.

Understand the difference when planning to enter a contaminated environment vs being a regular citizen and suddenly exposed to NBC (more BC than N, rapid nuclear exposure might incinerate you ).

NBC is survivable, but you need to do the right things in specific circumstances. However in some cases the situation is much more dire.

In situations such as the "latest craze" flu virus....I wouldn't want to spend prolonged periods with a full mask.
And be careful with what you buy.....it may be older or more used than you think.

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...66s8q6COrrrrQ-

Quote:
“All healthcare personnel who enter the rooms of patients in isolation for swine influenza should wear a
fit-tested disposable N95 respirator or equivalent (e.g., powered air purifying respirator)*. Respiratory
protection should be donned upon room entry.”
“Note that this recommendation differs from current infection control guidance for seasonal influenza,
which recommends that healthcare personnel wear surgical masks for patient care. The rationale for the
use of respiratory protection is that a more conservative approach is needed until more is known about
the specific transmission characteristics of this new virus. This recommendation is also outlined in the
October 2006 “Interim Guidance on Planning for the Use of Surgical Masks and Respirators in Healthcare
Settings during an Influenza Pandemic”
http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/heal...uidancehc.html .”
*Respirator use should be in the context of a complete respiratory protection program in accordance with
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations. Information on respiratory protection
programs and fit test procedures can be accessed at www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/respiratory. Staff should
be medically cleared, fit-tested, and trained for respirator use, including: proper fit-testing and use of
respirators, safe removal and disposal, and medical contraindications to respirator use.”
The CDC
i don't have much faith in an N95 mask, it may be better than nothing....but not by much IMHO....

Spend the money and buy good equipment....

Good viral protection is more expensive than you think...

http://www.safetycompany.com/respira...30.html?page=2

cartridge change schedule....

http://www.ehso.com/RespProtectionChange.htm

Quote:
Factors that can Reduce Cartridge Service Life
Exertion Level
Cartridge Variability
Temperature
Humidity
Multiple Contaminants
Don't ever think your equipment is good enough....know that it's good enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to sojurn87 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Recent Blog:
Fire/EMS

Ebay is a great place to get them. I've been looking for an M40 mask lately. I've heard really bad things about anything russian, or former Soviet Bloc masks. I know that Finnish M61's go on ebay for 5 dollars, but i seriously doubt they work. I'm only buying American, British, or French.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 PM

m40...with different canisters depending on whats going on....
Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Can anyone elaborate on the differences between the M40 and M95? I'm looking to buy new either way, the M95 seems to be about $150 whreas the M40 is $250.

Other than being a newer design, is there any clear advantage to the M40?

M95

vs.
M40
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM

The Finnish M61 masks are still serviceable, the filters not so much. Since they are 60mm, you'll need a thread adapter. However, i recently tested my M61 with its 1987 NBC filter in a sulfur gas environment. Passed with flying colors. And as long as they are still sealed, the old GP-7 filters offer 24 hours of NBC protection
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarWings View Post
Can anyone elaborate on the differences between the M40 and M95? I'm looking to buy new either way, the M95 seems to be about $150 whreas the M40 is $250.

Other than being a newer design, is there any clear advantage to the M40?

M95

vs.
M40
The M40 has a drink tube you can connect to a canteen with the right adaptor. The M40 also has a 2nd skin and eye lens outserts. Both provide added protection from liquid hazards.

Once you go through the gyrations of selecting your mask and laying out the cash for one, how will you know when to put it on? Do you have detectors? Do you have a detection grid set up so you know when the CBRN cloud arrives and departs? What about decon? Having a mask alone won't save you. A whole CBRN set up is needed, UNLESS the sole purpose for a mask is CS/CN
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM

looks like the israeli one....i have a swiss. bump.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Hiker

i have a canada C3 gas mask with a 40mm adapter for modern filters..its old but it works and is comfy on the face.also compact
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,163 Times in 2,269 Posts

How many of you have coupled possession of a mask with protective clothing and such, as well as a means to decon before removing the mask?

This was the mistake I made when I first bought a mask.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 AM

20 years or older