Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Prepared

Default Remington 700 7mm Magnum Sendero

Advertise Here

I have a chance to purchase a Remington 700 7mm Magnum Sendero which has a 26 inch Stainless, Fluted barrel, $300 scope(dont know which brand) already mounted, bipod(80$ ) already mounted and a rifle sling. Oh yeah 2 boxes of 7 mm mag ammo at about $24 per box. The rifle new without the other mentioned items was $1200 with taxes. It was new this year's model and only has about 40-60 rounds shot thru it. It looks new like it was just pulled out of the box. The owner is asking $1100 for the entire set-up. This rifle would be my long range/big game(deer, elk, moose if I have to hunt for it) rifle. With the bipod and scope I believe it weighs about 11 pounds.
Any thoughts on this rifle would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Unseen

Well first off, the cartridge. For the price of 20 rnds/7mm Rem Mag, you can get 40rnds or more of 30-06 and still get the same results when shooting any of the above mentioned game. The 7mm Rem Mag really only has superior performance if you are shooting out past about 300 yards. I used to own a 7mm mag until I realized it was just a 30-06 with over priced ammo (at least for my use of whitetail deer out to 250yards max) I believe that you would be way better suited to go out and buy a nice, brand new Remington 700 SPS Stainless 30-06(synthetic stock, and stainless steel) for around $500-650 depending on where you go, and spend the rest on a nice stock pile of ammo. The recoil will be less (not much, but less) and the availability of factory ammo will be vast and easier to find. Top it with something like a bushnell banner 3-9 scope. IMHO you will be much more happy with a setup like I described. Especially in a SHTF situation, 30-06 ammo will be everywhere! Just my .02

http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._Stainless.asp

Last edited by InIt2Live; 06-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: add link
The Following User Says Thank You to InIt2Live For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,556 Times in 4,364 Posts

Buy it. A 7 Rem Mag is not an overpriced 30-06. Not if you reload that is. Buy the gun, a single stage press, dies, brass, powder, primers, and 2,000 bullets and you do not need to care about ammo availability.

You can hand load a 7 Rem (particularly a Sendero) to exceed the accuracy of a 30-06, which it self is a good shooter, and vastly improve the long range ballistics.

I suggest that to someone that buys factory rounds, InIt2Live has a point, but to a knowlegable handloader he is all wet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Prepared

Actually I own a Progressive 5 stage press, a Dillon 650 XL reloading press to be exact. I already have dies for .380 auto, .45 ACP, .38 special and 9mm lugger. It is all hand gun stuff but the press readily changes to do rifle shells. My thought process was to reload rifle cartridges from the start due to prices of ammo. I just need to get a brass trimmer, lube pad, conversion kit(shellplate, locator buttons, powder funnel and casefeed adapter parts) for 7mm mag and a quick change which includes the powder measure, powder die, tool head stand and tool head.....and a set of dies. The quick change is $94, conv kit is $74 and the die set is about $140. So for about $310 I can reload it for about 1/4 to 1/5 of the retail price. At .85 cents per shell savings i would have to reload 18 boxes to get the money back for the price of the added cost. My press has already paid for itself in just .45 and .38 special cartridges.
This is all good information so far as I am mostly a hand gun kinda guy. I will keep all this info in mind. I might purchase both the 30-06 and a 7mm mag I own a ruger 10/22 takedown model but I can not reload .22 long rifle. Thank god I have 38 boxes of the 550 value packs.....and that might not be enough lol. I am thinking the 550 bricks might be good currency some day in the near future.The price of the ammo at the beginning will kill me due to the extra $310 for dies but in the long run it will be well worth the investment.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,303 Times in 2,036 Posts

The 7mm round is an excellent long range game getter or people dropper! Got about the same range as a 300 Win mag with less recoil, although more than a 30-06, but still quiet managable by most. The extremely high ballistic coeffcient projectiles make for very flat tajectories.

I have two of them. One is a Rem 700 that was heaviely customized back in the 80's before 26 and 28 inch flutted Bull barrels were the in thing for those other than target shooters. The other is a lighter weight "moutian rifle" on a Intra-Arms Mark X action. Both are absolute tack drivers out to several hundred yards if I do my part. There are some excellent projectiles on the market for this caliber and as a hand loader you can take advantage of them for a fraction of the price of commerically loaded ammo. You should get about a 100 rounds from a pound of powder if loaded to the max pressure levels.

Heres some more info on it....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/7mmRemMag.htm

Both the Remington 700 and the 7mm Mag is an excellent gun and chambering.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Buy it , if you reload you can get Berger 168 grain bullets with hogden retumbo powder.
It outruns 300 ultra mag at 600yds and it's still traveling 400 fps at 1000 yds.
Check out best of the west tv . I don't know the recipe off the top of my head. I reload it myself . I find it shoots well ,very foregiving.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 PM

I have that gun, the model before the stainless fluted bbl. Mine is from the 90's. About the same amount of rounds throught it. 40-50rds max. Ammo is expensive. Gun is expensive. A worthy scope should be expensive. But my gun is ridiculously accurate. I bought my rifle from my uncle for 600.00 when I was 19. I've never hunted with it. It has a plain jane Leupold 3x9 VX-II on it. Kind of like donuts on a Dragster. This gun is probably 800yd capable with the right ammunition, scope, shooter, and conditions. It is probably 99% capable of any long distance shooting. I don't really know about the Accuracy Internationals or the other whiz bang guns. I've never felt the need to shoot a deer or any other animal over 300yds, and the gun is very heavy like you said. But one day I will take it to south Texas. The gun is what it is. A very specialized, refined tool. Like a Mercedes. Good on the pavement, but not something you really want to take on a dirt road. You might break something.
My chances of having to shoot something over 500yds are probably .000001%. But just in case, I'll keep my gun.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM

i have a 7mmultra mag in a sendero it shoots better than anything i own.
I have killed more deer and elk with that gun then i could count 5 to 700 yards
is no problem at all this is a pic of the gun my son hade just killed a 426 inch elk @180
with it. i love mine but it is heavy

Last edited by wyorover; 11-17-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM

Remington model 700 sps is a fine weapon. I have one in 7mm mag stainless/synthetic and yes it kicks like a mule even with a gel buttpad!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Hillbilly

I have the 300 Win Mag Sendero. She is wearing an 8.5 - 25 Mark IV Leupy. TMR Reticle. That's muh baby.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 6,422 Times in 2,542 Posts

My primary hunting rifle is a Rem 700 in 7mm Mag. Its an accurate, reliable shooter capable of taking anything in N. America. With my handloads it shoots 1 moa. I should mention mine is a sporter-weight barrel in an HS Precision stock. It's worthy of noting that the Secret Service's counter-sniper weapons were 7mm Mag Model 700s. I don't know if they still are or not. They were basically long action M24s in 7mm Mag.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,930 Times in 2,328 Posts

too bad Remington quit making the Sendero in 270 Win

I want a 26inch barreled 270

as for the 7mm mag...its ok but if I get a rifle which only holds 3 rounds..I want something larger...338,375,416
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Trapper

I've got the short action version of the Sendero in 204 Ruger (the VSSF II) and it's a great gun and extremely accurate (1/4" 5 shot groups) with all ammo I've tried. The Senderos are built to be accurate long range rifles and they acheive this well. The 7mm Mag is a perfect cartridge to match to the Sendero.

There are only two negatives I can see in what you mentioned. First, it seems almost like a sacrilige to put a $300 scope on that gun but there are a few of scopes in that price range that are good scopes (many junk scopes in that range too). Second, keep in mind that the Sendero is a LONG, HEAVY gun and you won't like hauling it around on the mountains until you accurately take that 400-500 yard DRT shot on an elk from one mountain side to the next.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fixitman View Post
Actually I own a Progressive 5 stage press, a Dillon 650 XL reloading press to be exact. I already have dies for .380 auto, .45 ACP, .38 special and 9mm lugger. It is all hand gun stuff but the press readily changes to do rifle shells. My thought process was to reload rifle cartridges from the start due to prices of ammo. I just need to get a brass trimmer, lube pad, conversion kit(shellplate, locator buttons, powder funnel and casefeed adapter parts) for 7mm mag and a quick change which includes the powder measure, powder die, tool head stand and tool head.....and a set of dies. The quick change is $94, conv kit is $74 and the die set is about $140. So for about $310 I can reload it for about 1/4 to 1/5 of the retail price. At .85 cents per shell savings i would have to reload 18 boxes to get the money back for the price of the added cost. My press has already paid for itself in just .45 and .38 special cartridges.
This is all good information so far as I am mostly a hand gun kinda guy. I will keep all this info in mind. I might purchase both the 30-06 and a 7mm mag I own a ruger 10/22 takedown model but I can not reload .22 long rifle. Thank god I have 38 boxes of the 550 value packs.....and that might not be enough lol. I am thinking the 550 bricks might be good currency some day in the near future.The price of the ammo at the beginning will kill me due to the extra $310 for dies but in the long run it will be well worth the investment.
Rifle rds are a whole new ball game on a progressive press. I thought the same thing and now own 2 singal stage press as well as the progressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to smokinthelast1 For This Useful Post: