Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Default What is the best water purifier for a bug out bag?

Advertise Here

What is the best water purification method to put in my bug out bag? I was looking at the Katadyn Pocket Filter. Is that the best way to go?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wade Young For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

Looks good. Alsoo...

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Aquast...nfo/W-BGCR211/
The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Jesus Saves Sinners

IMHO the best you can buy is the Katadyn Hiker Pro. Cannot do better than that one for ease of use, durability, compact portability and weight, filtration, and cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to armedpilgrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,840 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I use a Sawyer inline on my 3L Camelbak.

This is the fastest, lightest, and best thing I've seen so far. It can be backflushed to clean it out, so they claim it's good for a million gallons.

I'll be well on my way while others our pumping or waiting for light or chemicals to work.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

We use these in our hiking packs. If your wanting it for a BOB it makes even more sense so you can keep on the move, and not waste energy.

I haven't actually tried it, but I was thinking if you took the bite valve off you could probably use it as a gravity filter.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Hunter

I like the Steripen. It is light weight, fast, easy to use, and does as well as boiling for 3 minutes, but I like the inline filter as well. So use both.
the road go's on forever

I'm goin',i'm goin' where the water taste's like wine..I'm goin' i'm goin' where the water taste's like wine...Gonna jump in the river stay drunk all the time...
This is a great survival forum

I like that one, Jeff.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Resident Ninja

Thanked 1,800 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
I like the Steripen. It is light weight, fast, easy to use, and does as well as boiling for 3 minutes, but I like the inline filter as well. So use both.

How is the Steripen?

I subscribe to "Wired" magazine and there's a small blurb about outdoor gear in the latest issue. They gave the Steripen a pretty decent review.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,840 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I've heard good things about the steripen. But I have concerns with it. Anything on the rim of the container could be dirty. Batteries die. You can't see or know if it's working.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,111 Times in 4,517 Posts

I have used a Katadyne for about 20 yrs. Works fine in clear water, the ceramic element need to be scrubbed clean often when filtering muddy water. I am changing over to a MSR filter. I will post something when I have a chance to wring it out well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Be Prepared

Give the MSR Miniworks a look. It screws directly onto a wide mouth Nalgene bottle. The ceramic filter lasts a long time and is cleanable in the field. It's fairly fast flowing as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dawg69 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,681 Times in 6,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Young View Post
What is the best water purification method to put in my bug out bag? I was looking at the Katadyn Pocket Filter. Is that the best way to go?
The term "best" is very subjective. It all depends on what you are looking for in a filter. Make your priorities list of what you find important, then choose your filter accordingly. So if protecting against viruses is big on your list then pocket filter may not be the "best". If durability and longevity are what you are looking for welcome to Pocket Filter-ville!

I love the pocket filter. It has 3 downsides. The price, doesnt filter/kill viruses, and weight.

But I think it has a lot more pros than cons. For one thing I HATE plastic pumps. So many things can break on them it is not even funny. I have seen more than one fail in my time trailing. Pocket filter is built strong. I don't think that I have seen one break, except once when a friend disassembled it and was cleaning out the ceramic element and droped it on a rock. Cracked some chunks off the ceramic element. Still worked though!

Simplicity of design. It has the least amount of moving parts that can fail. All parts vital to function are made of metal (except for O ring).

Filter life. And to stop the problem of muddy water mucking up the ceramic filter, use a pre-filter on the intake hose. Coffee filter or bandanna wrapped around the intake will pre-filter muddy water and helps prevents clogs.

Other filters I have personally tried are the Hiker, MSR miniworks, First need, Miox.

Now is it worth $200? That depends how much water and dependability matter to you. I personally dont skimp on the big 3 Shelter, Fire, Water (and guns but thats more fun lol) Funny thing also, my ultralight backpacking buddies think of the pocket filter as not an option because of the weight issue, but more than one time have I heard "can I borrow your filter?".

Hope you find this helpful.

Last edited by vicdotcom; 06-23-2009 at 02:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Young View Post
Ohh! Also just to clarify, the Pocket Filter is not a "Water Purifier" It is a filter. The difference is that Purifiers also clean out viruses and filters don't.

Miox, First Need and Steripen = purifiers (but Miox and Steripen don't filter)
Sweetwater, Pocket Filter, hiker, Miniworks etc = Filters

Last edited by vicdotcom; 06-23-2009 at 07:52 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwjeff View Post
I use a Sawyer inline on my 3L Camelbak.

This is the fastest, lightest, and best thing I've seen so far. It can be backflushed to clean it out, so they claim it's good for a million gallons.
.... I haven't actually tried it, but I was thinking if you took the bite valve off you could probably use it as a gravity filter.

FWIW - Check out this review/field test, of that inline filter here: http://sectionhiker.com/2008/04/30/s...-water-filter/

Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,345 Times in 3,371 Posts

I have a Miox purifier, and it is incredible. It's the size of a pen. I'm also partial to the ultraviolet filters.
The Following User Says Thank You to scipio337 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHCraigT View Post
FWIW - Check out this review/field test, of that inline filter here: http://sectionhiker.com/2008/04/30/s...-water-filter/

Another problem is if you need a good dose of clean water fast, for lets say flushing out a wound or for cooking food. I guess it isn't made to replace a canteen or water bottle. Kind of like the Ex-stream. Good to supplement your water supply but not to rely soley on it.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
I have a Miox purifier, and it is incredible. It's the size of a pen. I'm also partial to the ultraviolet filters.
I loved the Miox also! It was fun to use. Very "gadgety" fun and certainly more lightweight than a Pocket Filter. For short trips less than a day I take the Miox everytime. I love that it doesnt have any chemically or salty taste.

I didn't like the Steripen UV purifiers though. To many limitations and I go through batteries way to fast for my liking. In the woods I don't always have a container that would allow me to submerge the bulb and stir the water with it. Sometimes I only have a deep nalgene bottle, or I drink out of a shallow pan, or a water bladder. I can't get that pen into a bladder. It would be good on vacation someplace where I can drink water out of a glass all the time. But not in backcountry.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
seek, locate, evaluate

aluminum/titanium pot

reusable indefinately!

Cheers!
Adapt or die.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
You're no daisy

Thanked 1,798 Times in 680 Posts

I've had good experiences with the katadyn vario , it got some bad reviews though, guess I have been lucky. I've probably filtered 30 liters of water through it. Ponds, standing rain water, river water and creeks.

Attaches right to a nalgene bottle or camelbak type hydration pack.. also has a hose for other containers.

Just got a katadyn base camp gravity filter but haven't tried it yet
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Hiker

I have both the katydyn pocket filter and the saywer inline purifier. They both work very well and I have one in my bag and one in my wifes. The sawyer should last longer since you can backflush it. Also the Sawyer is a true purifer. Meaning it will also remove viruses. The katydyn is just a biological filter and will take out most things, bacteria parasites etc.m but not viruses. If I had to pick only one I would go with the sawyer.