Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes > Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Default Victorinox Trekker review

Advertise Here

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...product=54874&

I bought one of these at target a few years back for $30 (i think they still go for about that price), and they are well worth it. The Trekker is a decent hybrid of your traditional swiss army knife (minus the file and scissors) and a liner lock hunting knife. The 3 1/2 inch blade has a thumb hole thing for one handed opening, and while it can be opened one handed it's not the fastest of processes (but a good feature none the less, just non comparable to your typical tactical style liner lock, but way better than the finger nail notch typical of swiss army knives). The blade is liner locking (a good liner lock, not the cheap kind that will close if you stab it into something a slightly different angle....i had a knife that did that to me once so now i always check the lock before i buy if at all possible, if not before using it) a feature which pretty much sold me on the knife at the time (as well as the decent wood saw right next to it), and the top half is serrated. The serrations can be both handy and annoying depending on the task, great for cutting rope or 5-50 cord but they can be a slight annoyance while carving or sharpening (depending on method for both). I'm not a big fan of the serrations anymore but this is not so much the fault of the knife but of me (i lent the knife to a kid in my scout troop and he seemed to confuse the knive's main blade with the saw.....so after lending him the knife i encounter him saving away at a hardwood stick with the main blade, and judging by how ground down the serrations were he was at it for a while......so i'm thinking about getting the blade ground down smooth at a knife shop, though i did tediously repair most of the damage it'll still never be as sharp as it was that way), but they serve their purpose well when they're not damaged. This knife has taken a lot of abuse, and was my primary camping knife most of my time in the boy scouts (as well as my buck 110, but i already saw a thread about how great those are), and still functions almost like new (except the previously mentioned minor blade damage). The saw is also great, and that combined with the lower half of the blade can allow you to make many useful things out of wood and such. There's also a phillips head screw driver, a smaller blade (wood ream/leather awl...not sure), and a locking bottle opener/ flat head screw driver, and a can opener (also can be used as a flathead screw driver...and is fairly sharp at the curve). All the metal on the knife is mirrored steel, which looks awesome when it's new but starts to collect scratches fairly quickly. I also find the grip to be fairly ergonomic, but i have kinda small hands. The black plastic handle is really rugged, after years of hard use mine only shows a few scratches and some very small nicks (pin head small).....and of course it's stamped with the Victorinox swiss shield and cross, and has a handy little toothpick and tweezers iconic of every swiss army knife. And of course there's the little key ring at the bottom too.

Anyways all around great knife, i'd recommend it for beginner campers especially (i think any folder with a locking blade is preferable to one without, both for safety and function purposes).

I still would consider my Trekker as ome of my primary camping knives at the moment, as well as my Buck 110 ( I already read the review that says how great those are, and couldn't agree more). I also use it as a carry knife most of the time, and it's just as useful opening boxes and bottles and such as it is in the woods.

Hope that was helpful to someone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crazyassmetalhead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Be Prepared

Great review!

The OH Trekker has to be one of the best all-around SAK's out there. In fact, a version of it has recently become the official Swiss Army issue knife.

The only issue I have with mine is that the main blade is terribly hard to open. This started after cutting some potatoes while camping a couple of years ago. I've tried everything and it's still stiff.

Nonetheless, I still highly recommend this knife.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:19 PM
African Bush and Beaches

This has been my best urban carry ever and that is because you can do so much with a very well made and compact package. Being outdoors with kids the tweezers are a must for thorns etc. Never looked back. The newer Master Mariner one also is great and worth a look.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,813 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Great reveiw, I have a Locksmith which is similar, I chose it over this knife because it had no serrations and a file.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM

i love this knife i carry it every day i have used it for 9 years and i live in the mountains i use it a lot
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM

I had a one hand Trekker and I just traded it for another knife. The trekker is a great camping knife. The only reason I traded it was because I got a higher dollar knife for it.