Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultra Newbie

Default Efficacy of Bolt Action Rifles when the SHTF

Advertise Here

Hey! I'm new to these forums and my first question is regarding bolt action rifles.
Do you think a bolt action rifle (in my case a Mosin Nagant M44) makes sense in a survival scenario? Due to their simplicity theres not a whole lot that can break and they definitely look less menacing than an AK or AR15. what do you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mosin_Nagant_Punk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,553 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

This is such an over talked about topic its crazy so I urge you to use the search feature and look for other post on this subject.

I think it greatly depends on your AO and what you need the weapon to do. If you live in the middle of the woods then the bolt gun may serve a good roll as a meat getter and basic defense. If it was all I had I would use it.

With that said personally I would rather have a 10/22 with a bunch of High cap magazines. There is a reason you don't see bolt guns in general military use. If ever the idea of facing human threats I would get the best Assault type rifle I could get or semi automatic long arm such as FAL, G3, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, SKS, M14, or simular civilian weapon.

I personally use a Carbine AR15 that has proven to me to be as reliable as anything else. I keep a drop in 22 kit in my gear so that I can use 22LR to hunt and gather And reserve my 223 for 2 footed zombies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beaterar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,767 Posts

I absolutely love my M44 carbine.
What a blast to shoot, Blast!

I want a peep sight one day
http://www.mojosights.com/

and maybe
Scout Coyote Rifle
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/hooker107.html
http://www.backwoodshome.com/article_index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,191 Posts

Just about any fire arm can potentially have value to one in a SHTF situation. Beats the hell out of throwing rocks or using harsh language although some may prefer the latter technique.

The M-44 is a battle rugged and battle proven weapon. That should at least attest to its durability. The ammo is still fairly reasonably priced and its comparable to a 30-06 in power and range. It will certianly take down game with appropriate loads and for those two legged pest it will anchor them at a pretty fair distance with some authority. While you could indeed assualt a position with it I think it would best be reserved for the defensive role as its not exactly a mutant zombie horde zapper. It will however fly under the radar far easier and with less attention than one of those eveil black rifles as you pointed out. That could be a good thing.

I have several bolt action guns in my collection and wouldnt hestitate to use one of them if the situation dictated. Most serve as back up guns for my evil black rifles in 7.62 x 39, 223, and 308. In addition I have a 30-06 bolt to back up my M1 Garand in 30-06. I even have a Mauser 98 in 8mm and like it a lot.

It really comes down to what are you using it for. For distant target interdiction or hunting I think it makes a lot of sense. While not the best gun to face a large group of looters or rioters, I suspect after you work your way though the first stipper clip of ammo and there are 4-5 of them on the ground waiting for a body bag the rest will likely decide theres easier pickings else where. I just dont think its the best gun for building clearing in a street fight.

Just my thoughts but we do have a couple of members that are quiet fond of the M44 and simular variations of the weapon that will chime in soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Man in the arena

This is something you'll get tired of reading from me. If the SHTF, use what you have and can feed it alot. The M44 is a battle proven platform as are the Sp 1903, the Mosin- Nagant and the Enfield rifles. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these rifles.

Beaterar has it right when he says that this is AO dependent. Your AO's terrain will dictate what caliber is effective.

(sidebar: Bolt actions have proven themselves to be reliable and foolproof. The tolerances are generally tighter so you have to keep your weapon clean- if you do that it should go BOOM! every time you press the blast off! lever)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xringfighter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,638 Times in 7,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunman1 View Post
I absolutely love my M44 carbine.
What a blast to shoot, Blast!

I want a peep sight one day
http://www.mojosights.com/

and maybe
Scout Coyote Rifle
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/hooker107.html
http://www.backwoodshome.com/article_index.html
1st I have seen of those Mojo sites, just put it on the wish list for a couple of my old military rifles.
thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,185 Times in 606 Posts

2 out of 3 of my last additions were military bolt actions. Good price for the power they offer, even if they are not a rappid fire weapon.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 842 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Part of preparedness ("survival") is taking what you have and making the most of it. A well placed round from a Mosin will ruin anyone's day. Therefore, it is effective. The "best" MBR is a matter of opinion. If it is all you have then it is your best one.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

In a SHTF scenario, I would say the bolt action rifle (prefer scope) is best food procuring game from the woods, to feed yourself. To defend yourself in a riot, I would pack a pistol. Walking about in urban environment with an MBR draws too much attention, especially from police snipers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squirrelmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 AM
The Bad guy

.....wow.....
Old 01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

While it is true there are several subjects have been hashed over several times. It is still useful to rehash them. Some are very short spanned in thier attention. Some new to the board may not have the knowledge or have the experience to know abotu using features such as search.
The M-44 is a excellent choice as a first centerfire rifle on several levels.
One being it fires an effectrive cartridge and is very affordable. It is also extremely rugged. Its main fault is that the safety is more dangerous to use than pulling the trigger. Personally I perfer the M-38 for its lighter overall weight and lack of attached bayonet.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,181 Posts

There ain't too many situations where I'd feel "poorly" armed with a Mosin Nagant. Just step back a couple hundred yards...out of their range and into the Mosins playground.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Thumbs up

Personally, I'm a boltie fan. I do have a 10-22 (at least before that terrible boating accident) with a scope as well as others. Also, a number of milsurps including an M44 with a red dot scope.

I do agree with the notion of space and the anticipated dance that you foresee for your backyard. I can fire at least 15 well placed shots per minute using stripper clips in every milsurp I've got (used to have before that terrible accident) accurately at over 200 yards. Well out of the range of most AK's to be accurate IMO. Nothing wrong with the AK's but that's not my leaning. Plus I like sticking to common calibers with multiple guns. And ammo that's not produced overseas and therefore easily cut off as imports. Of course, if you've got x39 stacked deep, that won't be so much of an issue.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:07 AM

man i love the mosin nagant
Old 01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 20,318 Times in 6,896 Posts

Bolt action rifles are great for accuracy IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. But, if you're really planning for when the Clintons hit the fan, you probably want to consider a decent semi-automatic rifle just in case you have to hurry with a follow-up shot, like if you're spotted by a small gang of dirtbags. One on one the bolts will work. If you have to go against four on one, you're going to want a good semi-automatic to help even the score.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Trapper

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster View Post
...Walking about in urban environment with an MBR draws too much attention, especially from police snipers.
AK underfolder + trench coat = low-profile firepower
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Prepared

I like my 8mm Mauser rifle.If I hit some thing I know it is going down and staying down.Also good for the mountain terrain I'm in and very reliable.Also have tons of ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Armin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,915 Times in 10,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

great weapon you have there. ^_^
One part of the movie Flight of the Intruder made me laugh when an A-6 intruder was dodging flack and missiles and 37mm gunfire, then one farmer with a Mauser walking along calmly takes aim and fires a single shot- mortally wounding the Bombadier/Navigator
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
28 Days Later

Thanked 1,126 Times in 588 Posts

for urban areas, i would keep a pistol or AR at my hands, rural or woodlands, i'd keep a bolt gun, or if you were sniping in some SHTF scenario. the bolt actions strengths come in increased accuracy and fewer parts (meaning less parts that can break), the cons being its slower to reload and has a lower capacity magazine (well, most do)
Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Default Is the Mosin a good SHTF rifle.

Yes it is, but it can use some work to make it better. One is get the sniper bolt mod from Jim R the bolt man and a mosin scope mount from Kalinka optics these are linked at surplus rifles.com. At least get the bent down bolt for thats what us westerners are use to and also buy as many stipper clipps that you can afford. After that get some spare parts and your set.:D