Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Christian Individualist

Question Bad pitting on a blade - how to remove?

Advertise Here

I have no money at the moment so I couldn't afford to buy my dad a father's day present. However, I recently acquired a new skill - getting knives really sharp. As a father's day present I put a serious edge on my dad's pocket lock knife. I wasn't able to get it quite as sharp as I would have liked, it just didn't seem to want to take the edge. Must be something to do with the steel. You can still shave with it though

While rummaging through the shed I also found my dad's old 6-inch bladed Bowie knife. He's not used it for years and it was both blunt and badly rusted. Just out of curiosity I tried sharpening it. It took a good edge much more willingly than the little lock knife. I resolved to polish up the blade. I don't own any power tools that would do for this purpose, so I rubbed it down with 240 grit wet and dry.

After about half an hour of rubbing all of the rust was gone and parts of the blade had regained their shine. Unfortunately the blade was badly pitted beyond what I think is removable by hand. If I had a drum sander with a nice fine grit I could polish it up beautifully, but I don't.

The knife is definitely "back in service" after the attention I gave it, but I would like to get it gleaming again. Is there a way with hand tools to do this, or is a mechanical sander the only way to do it?

My dad seemed impressed with how sharp I had got them. He seemed to think that was a good father's day present.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 27,958 Times in 11,466 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

For me personally, knowing how much effort you put into bringing them back to life would mean more to me as a dad than buying a high dollar rope wrench...then again I'm an old sap

GREAT job!

LIST OF IMPORTANT THREADS FOR FORUM MEMBERS

KEEP THE FORUM GOING STRONG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Know more, carry less

To do it by hand is possible but I would enlist the aid of a drill and a stripping wheel. The stripping wheel will take off the rust in seconds, leaving you with a shiny but scratched finish. Just use wet and dry after this going from course to fine. The pitting is the absence of metal so the only way to get rid of this is by taking away the metal around the pitting until it's all uniform. In some cases this will seriously thin out the blade. Personally i don't mind pitting so much and actually think it makes the knife look vintage.

Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to samthedog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM
BEEN HERE TO LONG

as a knife maker i would leave it alone,those pits maybe a good reminder of dad.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,208 Times in 727 Posts

You can remove rust, but not pitting. I can't even think of anything decent to fill the pits with, not JB Weld or anything. But cleaning up the knife and sharpening it would mean a lot to me as a dad. I can get my knives sharp but not shaving sharp.