Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 1,274 Times in 748 Posts
Default EMP strike how to start your car if possible?

Advertise Here

I was wondering if there is any way to start your car after an emp.That would be the worst case scenario for me because i would be alone in a city of 45,000 and need to get out fast.
If anyone knows how to get your car started after an emp please tell me how.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:22 AM

can you please give a year make and model? if its fuel injected some of the ecu and other ststems might be fried.

Best bet for emp proof is a carburetor, mechanical fuel pump, magneto or points style ignition and a heavy no relay starter switch. an old Chevy, Ford or Dodge with all mechanical or vacume operated system such as trans or heater.

VW beatles or any older type vehicle will be a boon. manula transmissions are good as you can push start.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SWZ-Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
CHEERS :p

Thanked 1,792 Times in 753 Posts

If you can afford it......plan your escape from your populated area on a folding bike.
keep it in your vehicle, if things go sour and your car bites the bullet, pull your bike out-unfold it- pack your gear on it and keep going.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tugger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,782 Posts

1st you may need to know how it frys your car. when an EMP wave hits any and all wire will be energized. the longer the wire the bigger the charge. so all your wireing will be charged and the longer the wire the hotter the charge so if it has a computer in it it will be fried only older cars will it be possable to start. cause they will not have the computers in them to be fried. i got a 86 blazer with a new 350,1976 model motor in it so i dont have a computer so i would think what would fry if it did would be the solenoid.

not a bad idea tugger

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 06-07-2009 at 11:44 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,943 Posts

that reminds me of jerrys stories with the paratrooper bike lol Yeah i have to agree withjoe the hippies might pull thru if the world ends since they have the push and go method (like little miss sunshine haha) but i have to say its really stressed to have older modle cars and i have to say deisel trucks / cars would tend to last longer since the fuel keeps for a longer period of time than regular. And when deisel gets kinda iffy to use you can always use that Pri G stuff its dopes your fuel to make it last even longer.

I was watching future weapons and they used a EMP on a newer late 90's model car the lights were still working and the battery but not anything else. a faraday cage would prevent emp. but that would be a huge cage haha.

I was also watching War of the worlds and the aliens EMP'd the whole US. and somehow those mechanics got that van started. which made no sense. (maybe a plot hole? they were talking about how the solonoid got fried whatever that is he replaced it and it worked.

it seems military vehicles nowadays are immune to it. and the older all machine driven (non computer) cars and trucks . so if you want to get out get a older vehicle that works or a bike! take care be safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kroenen117 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1221 View Post
I was wondering if there is any way to start your car after an emp.That would be the worst case scenario for me because i would be alone in a city of 45,000 and need to get out fast.
If anyone knows how to get your car started after an emp please tell me how.
i drive a 2007 toyota carolla almost no power anything windows role down the key might have a chip it it but if there is another way like.Once apone a time my friend a i where messing around and he drove my car on to a shallow hockey rink it fell though and some how my 2000 alitima started after the computer was soaked it had lots of problems after that but it still started against all odds.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Nemo May Impune Laccesit

Has anyone investigated the possible benefit of a ground stake attached to a parked car? I was thinking about a 4' copper rod next to the car with a heavy braided connection via a copper clamp to the frame. The steel body should be somewhat self shielding and I think the ground would disapate any charge potential.
What do you think?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
just dopin' the wind

There's some emp vs. car/electronic information here.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/factshe...41elecpuls.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yotedawg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Seems to me the question was meant: Since I understand that EMP will fry the electronics, but I don't have access to an older car, is there any way post-EMP to make my car operable again?

If it wasn't meant that way, I'm asking.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZinn View Post
Seems to me the question was meant: Since I understand that EMP will fry the electronics, but I don't have access to an older car, is there any way post-EMP to make my car operable again?

yes right now a bike seems like a good alt.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM
just dopin' the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZinn View Post

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell you that. It would depend on how succeptible the electronics on your vehicle are and how strong of a hit you took. Just about all sensors and actuators work on 5 volts dc and either send data to or are controlled by the ecm(electronic control module or computer). The problem is the electronic systems on these fuel injected cars run off of miliamps or small amounts of current. It won't take much amperage induced into a wire to overload and fry an electronic device. The printed circuitry as well as the semiconductors inside the ecm will not take an overload of amperage. That's why mechanics have had to throw away their testlights and use multimeters when checking these systems. A 12 volt dc testlight pulling a couple of amps is enough to destroy an ecm.

Bottom line, it's impossible to tell you with certainty that replacing certain components will get your vehicle back up and running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yotedawg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM

How about bypassing everything that might be fried and making it work that way? And if that can be done after the EMP, it can be done before the EMP...
Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,912 Times in 6,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay View Post
Has anyone investigated the possible benefit of a ground stake attached to a parked car? I was thinking about a 4' copper rod next to the car with a heavy braided connection via a copper clamp to the frame. The steel body should be somewhat self shielding and I think the ground would disapate any charge potential.
What do you think?
Grounding steak will not do any good with an EMP. EMP causes the air to be ionized. It is not a direct current like a lightning strike or anything. And the ionization does not go downwards like lightning needs to do but outwards in all directions.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Another "myth" that seems to have grown up with information on EMP is that nearly all cars and trucks would be "knocked out" by EMP. This seems logical, but is one of those cases where "real world" experiments contradict theoretical answers and I'm afraid this is the case with cars and EMP. According to sources working at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, cars have proven to be resistant to EMP in actual tests using nuclear weapons as well as during more recent tests (with newer cars) with the US Military's EMP simulators.
The Following User Says Thank You to strongbow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM

I own a restored 1985 chevrolet pickup truck. It doesn't have the 305 that it was manufactured with. I have replaced it with a 1972 corvette 350. No computer or nutin" to screw up electronically. Fast and tough, with a bed to haul my families "stuff"!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,550 Times in 2,847 Posts

I wonder if the older type classic cars would be ok, such as steam cars, woodburning cars (used in France during WW2).

Recently I saw these bikers with some three wheeled motorbikes, you could fit everything you could possibly need on one. I think they were based on the three wheeled Harley Davidson (we used to have a shop here for them).

Is there a way you could store spare parts so the EMP couldnt reach them (putting them in the ground etc)?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,181 Times in 1,272 Posts

Getting the car started is not the biggest problem you will encounter, though it will be nearly impossible.

Your bigger problem is that your transmission is ELECTRONIC!!! Even though it is mechanical inside, it is completely controlled by electronics. So, even if you get your car to start, it will not go anywhere without a transmission.

Sorry guy, you need a different plan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMM123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 823 Posts

I personally would not rely on my car starting in an EMP, I have trouble with it starting in the winter.

I should pack a pair of hiking boots in the trunk, just in case. Walking off road would probably be faster anyway. In an EMP, everyone else's vehicles will be having trouble and you would be stuck on the highway, even if you could get your vehicle started. Good reason to leave a BoB in the trunk. A folding bike wouldn't be a bad idea if you can afford one, but decent walking boots/shoes are probably less pricey.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,181 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbow View Post
Another "myth" that seems to have grown up with information on EMP is that nearly all cars and trucks would be "knocked out" by EMP. This seems logical, but is one of those cases where "real world" experiments contradict theoretical answers and I'm afraid this is the case with cars and EMP. According to sources working at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, cars have proven to be resistant to EMP in actual tests using nuclear weapons as well as during more recent tests (with newer cars) with the US Military's EMP simulators.
You mean this EMP simulator at White Sands Missile Range that stops a car dead in its tracks?

There is no way to fully test the effects of a modern HA nuclear EMP, so we have to settle for "less accurate" testing as in this test with an EMP simulator with a 50' effective radius.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMM123 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Hunter

Get a vehicle that still uses points type distributor buy an extra set of points and is a manual. Swap the points and roll start. Anything made before the oil crisis in the 70's will do. I had an old 73 datsun 240z that would have been a good after-EMP vehicle (in regards to getting back ont he road) It was light, the only power anything was the starter and the fuel pump which could be swapped easily.