Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Preparing...

Default How long does propane last.

Advertise Here

while clearing out the house i found a large bottle of propane from a BBQ which is still half full. I also found an old gas lamp with a bottle still attached along with a spare bottle next to the lamp.
So i have 2 small gas bottles and a half full large bottle to add to my camping stuff.
BUT is the gas still safe to use. the big bottle is about 5-7 years old and the 2 small ones could be up to 18 years old. if i can i would like to keep them but i'm not sure if the gas will have seperated or changed in some way over the years.

so does anyone have any idea?

Chris
Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM

The gas should be good indefinitely, the equipment you hook it to might need attention before you hook it up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marblesonac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 AM
hunter-gatherer

If the gas goes 'bad' - it won't blow up or anything. It just won't work well at all.

It's even more likely in a 'half full bottle' that the seals aren't in great shape.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:07 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,310 Times in 4,256 Posts

From what I understand the shelf life of propane is almost indefinite.

Sister works in the lab at the local refinery and she told me that they use propane to boost the octane level of old stored gasoline.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Trapper

I agree as well. From what I have been told LP gas will last indefinitely. I would hook it up as well before you attempt to use it just to make sure that it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostrider247 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,443 Times in 974 Posts

if stored inside its perfectly fine but if it was stored outside.. it could water in the tank.. as for time those few years are nothing Ive used a propane bottle that was 15 years old and it still worked fine..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Preparing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
if stored inside its perfectly fine but if it was stored outside.. it could water in the tank.. as for time those few years are nothing Ive used a propane bottle that was 15 years old and it still worked fine..
The large one was in the shed outside, the other 2 were inside. But 2 show signs of rust on the outside of the bottle. i don't think rain has got into the bottle though.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,443 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisday4064 View Post
The large one was in the shed outside, the other 2 were inside. But 2 show signs of rust on the outside of the bottle. i don't think rain has got into the bottle though.

The tank with the rust will be hard to get refilled but it should still be safe to use because if it was leaking there would be no gas left depends on the climate you live in my propane tank stays out side and I use it every summer if it sits for 1 summer the tank tends to get water inside of it and you can notice the diffrence in the burn on the bbq but thats just untill the water leaves the tank.. storage wise shouldnt be a problem useing them the tank that was 15 years old that I found was a 1 time use small camp stove propane tank.. now that tanks dont last as long as the gas does a tank with rust but a valid tank is almost impossable to get refilled but the gas inside should be safe to use.. justthe burning of the fuel is effected unless you useing it in something else can wreak some things if lots of water builds up in the tank it can clog the lines but if its for a bbq I wouldnt worry about it at all..

Just dont do what they did ^

storage time with gas and desial are the same way they might still work past the date they say they will because the chemical compositon is breaking down
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2009, 01:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,433 Times in 2,745 Posts

its the tank you may want to trade off once you empty the large bottle, if the small tanks are empty scape them if they are full use them. just dont refill them most all tanks have a exp date on it thats not for the propane inside its for the tank. when you empty and fill any tank over and over as you refill it the tank expands because of the pressure and every so often ALL tanks must be tested to see that the tank will handle the pressusre its being put under so the tank will not explode.most of these tanks are holding gases at such a high pressure that it turns the gas into liquid,thats ALOT of pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post: