Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Advertise Here

I have a stainless mini 14 in 556....love it...thought it was fairly accurate until I got my new Bushmaster m4,a3...Love them bith but the m4gery is more accurate and the magazines are easier to get, cheaper and more reliable. I still love my mini14....reliable and never stops firing.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,180 Posts

I owned both the mini14 and thirty. Accuracy stunk on both,with quality ammo. The sights were too delicate at the rear,and the front was wierd. They aren't based on the M14,but on the M1 carbine. I sold both rifles,never a regret. Found the SKS to be far more accurate,over sustained periods.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Prepared

Location: Suburban Cleveland, Oh, but ready to leave at a moment's notice.

I went to the gun shop on my lunch break. I talked to the gun shop owner and he said at the price range of the Mini 14, he would recommend a lower end mil spec AR15 over the Mini 14. He said that the AR15 is more accurate, the mil spec guns are easy to get parts for, etc.

i'm not sure that I want too many things from one gun...
The Following User Says Thank You to Thumper74 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Firearm Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper74 View Post
I went to the gun shop on my lunch break. I talked to the gun shop owner and he said at the price range of the Mini 14, he would recommend a lower end mil spec AR15 over the Mini 14. He said that the AR15 is more accurate, the mil spec guns are easy to get parts for, etc.

One of my friends picked up an original 180 series Mini-14 a couple months back for less than $475. Try getting an AR15 for that. Ain't gonna happen unless it's a total piece of crap.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 AM

When you try to get high capacity mags for the Mini-14, go with the ruger factory made first, the promag 20's next. Do not buy the promag 30's....their junk
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,913 Times in 6,770 Posts

If you think a mini 14 is a step above a rock then you have never shot a mini 14.

Owned 3 of them, shot them and dumped them on people like you. So, let me get this straight... You think that the wimpy .223 round coupled with an inaccurate rifle = a GOOD PLAN? What did this guy do to you? Take a leak in your Cheerios?? Steal your high school sweetheart?

For over 40 years our military personnel have been screaming about the .223/5.56 round being ineffective. That's exactly why they've been testing replacement rounds in the form of the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel. That's also why the military has brought back the 7.62 NATO rifles. To make the .223/5.56 round effective one has got to adopt good tactics and precision shooting. Hmmm. Precision shooting, eh? Something that you CAN get with an AR-15 or an M-4 but NOT a mini-14.

For about the same amount of time, shooters have been griping about the mini-14s as not being accurate. Every few years the Ruger Company would re-tool and then claim to have made their mini-14 "more accurate." Trouble was it still remained as inaccurate as it always was. On most of the mini-14s the shots string out vertically. Guess how I know that? Maybe I shot a few thousand rounds through my mini-14s?

No, to me, I can't see a borderline effective round in a carbine that is notorious for being inaccurate as "a good idea." I STILL say go with an AR-15 or M-4 if you have to use .223 caliber ammo.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,793 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:

You want all you can get from a gun.

I wouldn't worry so much about the caliber but the Mini-14 system is turdtastic.

You would be MUCH better served with a lower end (but still good mind you! don't go buying a blackthorne on me! haha) AR or SKS than a Mini 14.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,058 Times in 959 Posts

Due to where I live, a Mini is my only choice.
I have 2 - an early 180 series and the new NRA model. Love them both - the NRA model is great - short, handy and accurate. The 180 will hit a person size target out to 200yds - good enough for my area.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Firearm Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
If you think a mini 14 is a step above a rock then you have never shot a mini 14.

Owned 3 of them, shot them and dumped them on people like you. So, let me get this straight... You think that the wimpy .223 round coupled with an inaccurate rifle = a GOOD PLAN? What did this guy do to you? Take a leak in your Cheerios?? Steal your high school sweetheart?

For over 40 years our military personnel have been screaming about the .223/5.56 round being ineffective. That's exactly why they've been testing replacement rounds in the form of the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel. That's also why the military has brought back the 7.62 NATO rifles. To make the .223/5.56 round effective one has got to adopt good tactics and precision shooting. Hmmm. Precision shooting, eh? Something that you CAN get with an AR-15 or an M-4 but NOT a mini-14.

For about the same amount of time, shooters have been griping about the mini-14s as not being accurate. Every few years the Ruger Company would re-tool and then claim to have made their mini-14 "more accurate." Trouble was it still remained as inaccurate as it always was. On most of the mini-14s the shots string out vertically. Guess how I know that? Maybe I shot a few thousand rounds through my mini-14s?

No, to me, I can't see a borderline effective round in a carbine that is notorious for being inaccurate as "a good idea." I STILL say go with an AR-15 or M-4 if you have to use .223 caliber ammo.
Wow. If the Mini-14 system was as ****ty as you say it was then why did you own three of them? That makes a lot of sense.

Bart Skelton reviewed the "new" Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 2006 and gave the gun a positive review. He said that Ruger did improve the accuracy this time around. See for yourself: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featu...807/index.html

I have had experience with both the "old" Mini's and the new ones, and for the money, they are decent weapons. Not quite as nice as an AR, but they'll get the job done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sampson1986 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie505 View Post
Due to where I live, a Mini is my only choice.
I have 2 - an early 180 series and the new NRA model. Love them both - the NRA model is great - short, handy and accurate. The 180 will hit a person size target out to 200yds - good enough for my area.
Person size meaning 6 feet tall and 16 inches wide? Or person size like laying prone behind an embankment? You want something that will put all its rounds into the area of a helmet.Not too many boogiemen will stand still out in the open.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM

I have a newer style Mini Tactical Series with factory flash suppressor. I teach tactical shooting and can tell you that the newer Mini's are allot more accurate than the older. With XM193F .556 or Federal .223hp I can shoot a 2"group at 100yds freehand with no steadyrest and the factory Ghost Ring sights. I can shoot it as accurate as any of my AR's. Both are good guns but lets compare apples to apples and cost to cost. I use a Mini as my go to gun- the action is unbeatable. I have used factory Ruger mags as well as Pro Mags and all have fed without failure. Take a look at the new 580 series tactical. I think for the money you would be hard pressed to find a better deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Broncbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,438 Posts

Quote:
Cost really isn't my concern...

They run about the same price locally. I figured that since they were designed after the M1, they would be more accurate than an AR15, and I like that fact that it doesn't look like an assault weapon.

I handled one at the gun shop and wasn't really impressed with the finished of the metal surfaces, but it seemed more robust than the AR15s that they had. They had a DPMS Sporter (I think), with a flat upper for $800, which was the same price as the Ruger.
Lets see now...........
Cost aint a concern
Like rifles that dont look "like an assault weapon"
Semiauto with high cap mags
You wanna hunt with it
Interested in somthin designed after an M1
A common caliber
Fairly compact ( About the length of a mini14, or M1Carbine)
........So, unless you specifically want somthin chambered in 5.56mm/223......
The SKS is the money saver, but here is somthing you might wanna check out as well.

M1A Bush rifle with a wood stock and handgaurd. If somthing more compact is desired, look into a Socom16. Here is a comparison pic of a Socom along side an M1Carbine, and a Ruger 10-22......

The wood stock/handgaurd on the M1A Bush rifle (1st pic) will slap right onto a Socom 16 once you remove it's Scout mount, and synthetic furniture. 5/10/15/20/25 round mags that are reliable.(hint...stick with CMI mags and be GTG). Tons of fun to hunt with. Reliable, accurate, better terminal effects, longer inherent effective range, and a better ability to turn cover into concealment at any range, and is designed after the M1 Garand. ( So close in fact, that some parts interchange between the 2 designs, such as the hammer, entire rear sight assembly, extractor, etc..)
Note: The Socom pictured weighs out on my scale at 7.8 pounds while sittin in the pictured synthetic stock. The wood will bring her up to around the 8 pound mark, give or take. Some say that this is too heavy, while others don't. Best way for you to find out is to handle them for yourself prior to spankin that counter with your hard earned $$. Only real way for you to know for sure...... to include any family members that might be required to hump it around as well. ( If a body aint in decent physical shape to begin with, I'd imagine that same body is gonna have a hard time humpin anything for very long. FWIW, my clan's "light rifles" are M1Carbines, and 10-22's. If we are gonna go light, then we might as well go as light as possible. The M1A/M1Carbine/10-22 rifle combination covers all of our bases...rifle wise.)
NOTE: Increased recoil. I don't consider it an issue, but others might. See if you can shoot one, to confirm if it is a concern or not for you and yours.
NOTE: Cost. You said that cost wasn't a concern, but the difference between an SKS and an M1A is ......well.....considerable. I bring this up just as a kinda reminder of this, and also recommend that you not only look at the difference in the cost of the rifles themselves, but ammo, and mags too.

Just my.02 here.
Good luck with your decision sir.

11B

Last edited by fragout; 05-28-2009 at 05:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv0042 View Post
I've had a hard time locating parts for the mini. Any idea where I can find them?

Thanks.
www.brownells.com has pretty much everything except the bolt and firing pin.

Best regards, John K
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM

I have an older Mini 14 Ranch rifle that used to string shots as has been brought up in other posts. The newer Mini's with the thicker barrel are better.
To make the older mini's shoot better, buy two UTG Barrel Tri-Rail Mounts from Cheaperthandirt.com for $9.95 ea. Mount one right up tight against the gas block, the other just forward of the small step in the barrel. Place a 5" long metal or aluminum rod in the bottom of the mounts, with the end of the rod right up against the gas block . The rod must be .550" or larger in diameter to work. 9/16th or 5/8" rod works great. This will really cut down on the stringing. I steel bedded the action on mine, put the mounts and rod and re cut the muzzle. I also did a trigger job and re crowned the barrel. The gas bushing in the ranch rifle is way too big. The hole in it measures .080" or better. I made a new gas bushing with a hole diameter of .035". It still throws the brass a good ways, but not near as far and cuts down on wear on the rifle.You will also want to but a muzzle brake or flash supressor on the front. The extra weight on the front helps the accuracy. My mini now shoots almost MOA at 100 yards, with a better rest, I'm pretty sure I could get sub MOA with a little time between shots for the barrel to cool. The shots in the picture were fired one after the other with the barrel already warmed up. I have got one .492" 3 shot group with this rifle, but the 5 shot groups always open up to just over 1". Before, 4 inches was a good group. It will still string ever so slightly when the barrel gets hot. If you have the barrel and action Cryo treated it also really cuts down on the stringing. I have not had mine Cryo treated yet, but will in the future, it should cut down on the last little bit or stringing. For very little money, you can make a mini shoot much better. The blocks won't work on the newer tapered barrels. The mounts act as a heat sink and keep the barrel much cooler also.
The mini is a great rifle. Mine has never jammed, even when really dirty. The gas system is self cleaning unlike some other black looking rifles.
People tend to either love or hate the mini. Some won't shoot anything but an AR. If you have a mini or find one for a good price, for very little $$$ you can turn it into a fine shooting weapon. Before I started experimenting with mine, it sat in the gun safe for years because of the huge groups. It is now a great shooter and gets regular use.

Best regards, John K
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1744.jpg   DSCN1742.jpg  

Last edited by dksac2; 05-29-2009 at 05:45 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dksac2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Prepared

Like somebody mentioned, the Mini-14 was a good idea that was poorly implemented.

I strongly recommend getting an AR-15. Here's why:

Compact: In an M4 config (16" barrel and collapsible stock) they are only 31" long or so.
Accurate: Depends on the rifle and ammo but 1 to 2 MOA is the norm with good ammo.
Parts: Parts are EVERYWHERE.
Accessories: You name it, you can put it on an AR-15. Lights, scopes, bipod, etc, etc.
Weight. The rifle, depending on configuration is not heavy at all. Plus .223 ammo is about 1/2 the weight of anything 7.62 caliber. In a SHTF situation you can carry twice as much .223 as 7.62 ammo.
Reliable: Modern AR-15s are extremely reliable as long as they are clean and lubed.

Yes, they have the evil black rifle look but there are plenty of innocent looking rifle cases you can carry it in that people won't even give a second look.

Also, the .223 round is not as powerful as a .308 but for self defense it is plenty powerful and can reach out past 300 yards without a problem. For hunting it can humanely take anything from deer and below with half decent shot placement.

Get the AR and you won't ever look back.
The Following User Says Thank You to WyoDuner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Prepared

Location: Suburban Cleveland, Oh, but ready to leave at a moment's notice.

I'd love to get an SKS Paratrooper. Short, reliable, cheap. I'm not dead set for a certain gun. I'd love an AR15, but if I'm in my truck heading out of town with camping supplies, etc and an AR15 is in my window, it'll raise more eye brows than a Mini/SKS/M1.

I'm doing research and the opinion of like minded individuals is taken into consideration.

When I said cost isn't a concern. It is, but I guess a more accurate description would be that value is a concern. If I can get an SKS that does everything an AR will do for 20% of the price of an AR, I'm getting the SKS.

Besides gunbroker.com, where can I even find SKS's? I can't find any locally
Old 05-29-2009, 05:42 AM

You can still find new and used Mini 14's for much less that the AR's or M1 type rifles. All the above weapons are great, but the last two have gotten very pricey, if you can even find one. Check www.gunbroker.com
I'd love a new AR-15 or SOCOM, but in these times, money is not as freely flowing as it once was and I have other preps to worry about besides another weapon.

Best regards, John K
Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Getting there....

I had one I'd picked up for $400 years back at a gun show. I loved the idea of a .223/5.56 NATO built on the Garand system, but the little carbine was unimpressive. As said before, once everything warmed up from a magazine or two, accuracy was spotty at best. Years back, there used to be an entire cottage industry that concentrated on trying to make a Mini-14 shoot like an AR.

For the coin, I'd pick up either a Bulgarian 5.56 Kalashnikov or an AR-15 clone.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,058 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredLee View Post
Person size meaning 6 feet tall and 16 inches wide? Or person size like laying prone behind an embankment? You want something that will put all its rounds into the area of a helmet.Not too many boogiemen will stand still out in the open.
I can keep all the shots well within a 12inch paper plate @ 200 yds - from a standing or kneeling position. I do alot better with a bench rest - like the guys with AR seem to like to shoot at ranges i go too.
If I see him before he sees me i will ruin his day.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Hunter

Most shooters aren't good enough to notice the accuracy differences of the guns they fire. If you do better with one over another its probably the way the gun fits you and how used to it you are. Most guns have pretty similiar inherent accuracy. For example my snub nose is just as accurate as a revolver with a 71/2 inch barrel, the snubbie is just a little harder to control. It has nothing to do with accuracy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raglan For This Useful Post: