Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Puppetmaster123's Avatar
Puppetmaster123 Puppetmaster123 is offline
Tearing the World Asunder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Sigma S&W....



Advertise Here

Seems like a cheap Glock to me... Has anyone had exp.with this one?

Handling, accuracy, durability?

and also are FMJ rounds M&P only?


http://www.smithwessonhandguns.com/i..._Sigma_Au.aspx
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Oh Shoot's Avatar
Oh Shoot Oh Shoot is online now
Doubts Most Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: East Tennersee
Age: 66
Posts: 4,092
Thanks: 364
Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,661 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster123 View Post
Seems like a cheap Glock to me... Has anyone had exp.with this one?

Handling, accuracy, durability?

and also are FMJ rounds M&P only?


http://www.smithwessonhandguns.com/i..._Sigma_Au.aspx
"Cheap Glock" indeed...Glock sued them over it, some sort of settlement reached. The first generation of them had some probs, but seem to be okay now.

Most folks who have them claim good reliability now.
But the MP series are better pistolas.
If you're getting it for carry, the SW M&P Compact models are hard to beat.

Didn't understand the question re FMJ rounds.
You can shoot FMJ in any gun.

- OS
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Stickman Stickman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 49
Posts: 201
Thanks: 22
Thanked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster123 View Post
Seems like a cheap Glock to me... Has anyone had exp.with this one?

Handling, accuracy, durability?

and also are FMJ rounds M&P only?


http://www.smithwessonhandguns.com/i..._Sigma_Au.aspx
Don't know anything about 'em, but speaking of "cheap glock"...my opinion is that those things are junk. They don't fit my hand at all, have no hammer (I have never trusted a sidearm that doesn't have a hammer I can touch), and are only popular because of Hollywood. My opinion is, if it's anything at all like a GLock, stay away from it.

I'll stick with a 1911. Or a Browning HP (with a flush-fit 15) if I'm forced to use something that isn't a .45 ACP. Another great little sidearm is a Ruger P97DC (also .45 ACP). Reliable, accurate, light, and fairly compact.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Nightside_Eclipse's Avatar
Nightside_Eclipse Nightside_Eclipse is offline
Take me out to the black
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 3,030
Thanks: 1,542
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Don't know anything about 'em, but speaking of "cheap glock"...my opinion is that those things are junk. They don't fit my hand at all, have no hammer (I have never trusted a sidearm that doesn't have a hammer I can touch), and are only popular because of Hollywood. My opinion is, if it's anything at all like a GLock, stay away from it.

I'll stick with a 1911. Or a Browning HP (with a flush-fit 15) if I'm forced to use something that isn't a .45 ACP. Another great little sidearm is a Ruger P97DC (also .45 ACP). Reliable, accurate, light, and fairly compact.

You aren't the Stickman from Ranier Arms are you?

Glocks and other striker fired pistols are only popular because *gasp* THEY WORK! And work well.

THe Sigma I handled was VERY Glock like (even broke down just like one, internals looks extremely similar too), except I haven't heard good things about their reliability.

I liked the M&P I shot a lot though. I'd take one of those any day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightside_Eclipse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Stickman Stickman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 49
Posts: 201
Thanks: 22
Thanked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightside_Eclipse View Post
You aren't the Stickman from Ranier Arms are you?

Glocks and other striker fired pistols are only popular because *gasp* THEY WORK! And work well.

THe Sigma I handled was VERY Glock like (even broke down just like one, internals looks extremely similar too), except I haven't heard good things about their reliability.

I liked the M&P I shot a lot though. I'd take one of those any day.
Not the same Stickman, no, and I will admit (grudgingly) that reliability isn't really a Glock problem...it's the fit of the weapon itself. My hands are big, and to hold a .45 Glock in my hand without forcing my trigger finger to rub the slide and be forced into the trigger guard at a downward angle, I have to float my pinky finger in the air. Just uncomfortable as hell, in fact it's about the most uncomfortable sidearm I've ever held.

Plus, they were popularized by Hollywood.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 PM
bprepared84 bprepared84 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I used to have one and it jammed, how do I say this, often. I was told I was limp wristed. I'm not a fan of the gun. I have since got a Glock 23 and have never had a problem with it. I probably have 2000 rounds through it.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Nightside_Eclipse's Avatar
Nightside_Eclipse Nightside_Eclipse is offline
Take me out to the black
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 3,030
Thanks: 1,542
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Not the same Stickman, no, and I will admit (grudgingly) that reliability isn't really a Glock problem...it's the fit of the weapon itself. My hands are big, and to hold a .45 Glock in my hand without forcing my trigger finger to rub the slide and be forced into the trigger guard at a downward angle, I have to float my pinky finger in the air. Just uncomfortable as hell, in fact it's about the most uncomfortable sidearm I've ever held.

Plus, they were popularized by Hollywood.

Dang man, you must be a sasquatch! haha

Most people have problems with Glock grips being too big, especially the .45 and 10mm frames...
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Bibble Bibble is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 788
Thanks: 320
Thanked 247 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Not the same Stickman, no, and I will admit (grudgingly) that reliability isn't really a Glock problem...it's the fit of the weapon itself. My hands are big, and to hold a .45 Glock in my hand without forcing my trigger finger to rub the slide and be forced into the trigger guard at a downward angle, I have to float my pinky finger in the air. Just uncomfortable as hell, in fact it's about the most uncomfortable sidearm I've ever held.

Plus, they were popularized by Hollywood.
I have the same problem.I would prefer smaller cal handguns for concealment reasons but my hands just wont fit them.I have to go with the big boys.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Nightside_Eclipse's Avatar
Nightside_Eclipse Nightside_Eclipse is offline
Take me out to the black
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 3,030
Thanks: 1,542
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,286 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprepared84 View Post
I used to have one and it jammed, how do I say this, often. I was told I was limp wristed. I'm not a fan of the gun. I have since got a Glock 23 and have never had a problem with it. I probably have 2000 rounds through it.
I think they meant you were limp wristing the gun, not you were limp wristed. haha

If you don't have a tight enough grip on the weapon the frame can sometimes travel back with the slide under recoil, preventing the slide from reciprocating and completing the extract/feed cycle.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Stickman Stickman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 49
Posts: 201
Thanks: 22
Thanked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightside_Eclipse View Post
Dang man, you must be a sasquatch! haha

Most people have problems with Glock grips being too big, especially the .45 and 10mm frames...
A 1911 fits me OK, though honestly I'd prefer custom made grips...those are pricey, though, and I'm not going to attempt them myself.

No, really I'm an average sized guy, it's just that everybody else is too small. I'm 6'2", about 205 (ok, yeah, that's when I'm working, in the summer.....winter sees me as much as 235), size 13 feet. And you know what they say about a guy with big hands and feet.


















Big shoes and gloves.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Stickman Stickman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 49
Posts: 201
Thanks: 22
Thanked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightside_Eclipse View Post
I think they meant you were limp wristing the gun, not you were limp wristed. haha

If you don't have a tight enough grip on the weapon the frame can sometimes travel back with the slide under recoil, preventing the slide from reciprocating and completing the extract/feed cycle.
My daughter had that trouble with my P97DC. Took her an entire day and nearly 200 rounds to understand that it would jam if she was afraid of it. She shoots much better with ear muffs rather than plugs. Hell, I do too, if I haven't shot in 5 or 6 months.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Smith Smith is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Oklahoma
Age: 36
Posts: 437
Thanks: 38
Thanked 182 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Academy has Sigma's on sale for $300 from time to time. $340 reg price:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...ols_centerfire
Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 PM
American Patriot's Avatar
American Patriot American Patriot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 143
Thanks: 42
Thanked 106 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Plus, they were popularized by Hollywood.
Yep Hollywood made all the police departments change over to striker fired pistols.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Thumper74 Thumper74 is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Suburban Cleveland, Oh, but ready to leave at a moment's notice.
Age: 31
Posts: 256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 184 Times in 81 Posts
Default

The Sigma/SW9VE are inexpensive, not cheap. When they first came out they had one issue, extractors. They were failing. This was resolved in subsequent production runs. They were a blatant copy of the Glock. They were nick named SWocks. Glock sued as some of the parts were allgedly interchangeable, such as the barrel.

I had one, my wife had one. I took my CCW class with mine and have shot a few thousand rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. It's fed whatever ammo I could get cheaply. I have two complaints: plastic guide rod and bad trigger. I never liked the plastic guide rod, it just made me nervous. The trigger was attrocious at 11-12 pounds and was DOA.

I'd buy another if it was on sale. I'd choose it over a High Point. If it were my money, I'd spend a little more and get a Glock, Springfield XD or another proven fighting gun.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:29 AM
unknownroot unknownroot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 118
Thanks: 22
Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I've own two of them, and overall for the price it's a decent gun. I bought it for the size and it's easy enough for the little lady too. When it comes to 9mm i'd rather have a Beretta 92FS but all in all I like the little gun and choose to carry it everyday. I may like it do to the fact the first one was my first pistol and i bought the new one (after selling my old one foolishly) cause I was familiar with it and it grew on me.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Wild-Will's Avatar
Wild-Will Wild-Will is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Elgin, SC
Posts: 812
Thanks: 122
Thanked 597 Times in 316 Posts
Default

My first full size semi auto was the S&W Sigma in .40 cal.
Mainly I bought it because of the price but, after putting several 1000 rounds through it for practice and fun, it's a great pistol.
I'm another big guy, 6'4" and 265 lbs wearing XXL gloves and size 14, almost 15 boots and the Sigma I have fits my hand great. It has a natural point for me and it will spit out whatever ammo I feed it, including reloads, right into the area I am aiming at, at 35 yards all rounds are in a 4" circle.
I didn't like the heavy trigger pull at first but, I have become accustomed to it and have no troubles with it. I'm not fond of the plastic guide rod but, that can be replaced fairly easily, my son is a mechanical engineer with fabrication experience and I can fabricate as well.
I liked the Sigma so much, mainly because it's an S&W, I bought an M&P Compact in .40 cal. also.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 AM
N5TDA's Avatar
N5TDA N5TDA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
Age: 61
Posts: 91
Thanks: 104
Thanked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Default

I have one that I bought new because the price was right,pistol,2 16rd mags,$300 out the door. I have put about 1000rds thru it and never had a problem. The trigger pull is slightly heaver than some others but it doesnt bother me. I carry it every day CCW and shoot at lest once a week. As I said I have never had even one FF or Stove-pipe and have run everything from HP to FMJ and reloads.

Rex
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net