Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Advertise Here

i agree with the guy earlier that said a sleeping dog puts you at ease fast. i have two dogs a bull terrior who never barks or gets wound up for no reason and a pittbull/bullmastive mix she is very protective and i have to watcher her constanly around my friends if they try to hand me somthing or shake my hand and she doesnt know them she will try to bight them or get between the two of use. now to the story or two stories that make me love my dogs and take them everywhere.

most recent one is in my house. in the middle of the night the dogs got up and went nuts. the pit will gets up growl at the slightest noise but what got me up and made me grab my .357 mag with hydro-shocks was the bull terrior was on point hair up and barked twice and the pit was going crazy not her normal growl. So i get up mind you this all happens some what instantanioulsy(sp?) at the same time i thought i heard a weird noise. i because of my job and my life style am not affraid of people especialy when i am armed and when you come to my house and my family i become ****ed. i did have the hair on point but i was in protect my wife mode. so i go outside and see a dark figure running i cursed at him/her and said next time they wont be getting away. found out later their was 2 other robbies on my road that week.

sorry this is so long.

next one was a year earlier. i was camping in a remote part of a national forest in NC. it was late and i found a small hiden pond they call it a lake in NC but where im from its a big pond. so i decided to make camp for the night and to do some night fishing. i dont carry a watch with me when camping or my cell phone i like the privacy and the since of being alone. i do however carry my tomahawk that i can throw quiet well my bowie knice and my two side arms 12 gauge and my 44 mag. the .357 isnt big enough for the woods because it has a 2.5" barrel. so some time in the night i just get that danger feeling and at the same time my two sleeping dogs the pitt/bull mastive and bull terrier just jump up and go into a freenzy i have never seen before and i was scared because i could feel and see the fear in my dogs eyes. ive never seen them scared like this before so im about to **** myself because im in a very bad spot to defend myself and have no idea what is out there. i have my shotty loaded with buchshot and grab it now the dogs are getting closer to me and more violent in their barks and movements. so i shoulder my 12 and grab for my sure fire. i turn it on and about 4 feet infront of my dogs is a bear. i wanted to shoot it but i was hoping that it would run away. now for bear size it was small but they arent big in NC but it made my big dog look small. about the time i decide to shoot my pit attacked the bear then the bull terrier joined in to help. it was bad and the bear threw/claw/slaped the pit loose and i was to affraid of shooting my bull terrier to shoot. then the bear flung him off but about that time the pitt came back. to make a long story shorter this happened several times before i could shoot the bear several times with the buck shot to bring it down. i had to carry both my dogs to the truck and rush them to the vet. i dont know if the bear would of attacked if the dogs would have never attacked but i do know they kept the bear off me and would have died to save me and i will never ever go anywhere with out my dogs after that day. after seeing that i feel safer when my wife is home alone with the dogs than with a gun.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Prepared

Thumper, you're nuts, I'd never go to Point Pleasant. The mothman freaks me out so bad. XD

And Ryn, that story was so intense! Wow, good thing the cops called you, what a close shave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepingwillow View Post
You guys haven't heard creepy until you heard the legend of the Stick Indians.
There is a legend of the Cascade Mountains of Washington State that people in the forest have heard sounds like children laughing and playing. This is in remote areas, no campgrounds, or resorts or anything nearby. When they go to investigate the source of the laughing children, they are never heard from again!
Don't ever let your child wander off in the woods or he may vanish and be turned into a Stick Indian himself!

Another Indian legend here is the coastal Indians of the Olympic Peninsula. There are old growth trees that have faces in them. The Indians believe these were people that went walking out in the forest at night and the trees grabbed them and they can never get out. They are now part of the tree.
I live in WA but I haven't heard of those. D: Pretty creepy! But I think Alaska has a way creepier one: the Kushtaka. It's said to be a giant land-otter that whistles in the distance, and when you hear it, you may think it is your friend calling to you, but when you follow it, it will either rip you to shreds and strew your guts through the tree branches, or (more likely if you are a child) it will turn you into a Kushtaka yourself. They supposedly live in upside-down trees. I don't know why that's so creepy, but it is. XD; Especially since Alaska has some strange looking trees with the branches all bunched up and tangled on top so they look like they've been put in wrong side up with the roots in the air.

I guess a lot of people on here might not be creeped out by some of the more obviously untrue legends and fairy tales and stuff, since most of you seem to have had years of practical experience in the woods, which might make it seem a more mundane place with more solid, tangible threats. But sometimes I just picture the Kushtaka, slithering silently through the underbrush, dragging its giant body slowly over the fallen leaves, its sunken eyes watching me from a distance, hidden in the shadows under the thick brush at twilight as it dips its head and whistles low and long...

Last edited by squidy; 05-31-2009 at 05:26 AM..
Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Free Born

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,188 Posts

Want some stuff about Stick Indians, IE; Ste-ye-hah', it's creepy indeed.

"The Ste-ye-hah' mah or Stick-shower are a mysterious and dangerous people whose general habitat is the lofty forest regions of the Cascade Mountains. They haunt the tangled timber-falls, which serve them as domiciles, or lodges. They are as large as the ordinary Indian; their language is to mimic notes of birds and animals. Nocturnal in habit, they sleep or remain in seclusion during the day and consequently are seen only on very rare occasions. Is under the cover of darkness that they perform the acts which have fastened upon them the odious appellation 'stick-shower'. It is then that they thrust sticks through any opening of the tepee or hunter's lodge, or shower sticks upon the belated traveler. The Indian who is delayed or lost from the trail is very apt to receive their attention. He may hear a signal, perhaps a whistle, ahead of him. should he follow the sound, it will be repeated for a time. Then he will hear it in the opposite direction, along the path he has just passed. If he turns back, it will only be to detect the mysterious noises elsewhere, leading to utter confusion and bewilderment. When the traveler is crazed with dread, or overcome by exhaustion and sleep; it is then that the Stick-shower scores a victory. Regaining his head, or awakening from slumber, the wanderer is more than likely to find himself stripped of all clothing, perhaps bound and trussed with thongs. He is fortunate to escape with his life."
http://bfro.net/legends/penutian.htm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chaosofcreation For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM

I was ten years old and on a canoeing trip in northern Wisconsin at a cabin owned by my oldest brother. The nearest people were an old farming couple that had a place two or three miles down the road. We used to draw water from their well. We had just arrived at the cabin and unloaded, and my brother told me to stay and continue unpacking while he went to get water.

We had brought our pointer along, and shortly after he had left I got this strange uneasy feeling like I was being watched. The dog then gets up from a bunk and starts growling and slowly pacing between the window and door. It was getting dark and as I peered out of the only window, I could not see anything, but I was scared and I could not calm the dog. Something was out there watching and circling the cabin.

I grabbed my brother’s single action 45 and the dog and climbed into the bunk placing my back against the wall. I was just a scrawny little kid and could barely hoist the pistol. I had my thumb on the hammer and finger on the trigger resting the barrel on my bent knees. The dog continued with her low growl and we sat there for what seems like an eternity alternately watching the window and door. Finally, I heard the J-20 bouncing down the fire trail so I eased the barrel away from the door. My brother walked in and was shocked to see me backed against the wall sitting on the bunk with my dog and the hog-leg, and in his words "White as a Ghost".

The next day we visited another neighboring cabin located five miles or so in the opposite direction of the farmhouse to see if the owner’s were there. No one was there, but something had recently scratched and chewed all four corners of the cabins exterior walls to a height of six or seven feet. Most likely a bear.

I had another startling occurrence while living in southwest Missouri. Some friends and I were doing some night cat fishing from shore on the James River and periodically running our trotlines. We were sitting along the shoreline with a nice fire going accompanied by the usual idle talk and a few beers, when suddenly everyone just stopped talking like a switch was flipped off.

We were all staring across the river and felt as if something or someone was staring back. It was a very uneasy feeling, to which some of the group tried to shake off with the typical macho humor, when a bloodcurdling sound erupted from the other shore that froze everyone in their tracks. This sound was unlike any other that I had heard and it made every hair on my body vibrate and tingle. The only way I can describe it is it sounded like a wild person with no language skills was being gutted alive. No words, just this high pitched bloodcurdling noise/scream. Nobody moved or said a word, we all just sat there fixed in our stare, when just as suddenly a second noise/scream was let loose with even more force than the first.

By this time several of us were sprinting to our trucks that were parked within 20 or 30 feet and retrieving various firearms. We all sat there quietly with our eyes fixed staring toward the opposite shore watching the light from our fire reflecting off the rocks. Hours later we packed it up and left feeling very unsettled. We never did figure that one out or even hazard a guess as to what was on the opposite bank.

Imjonesy
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
Was it a Bigfoot by chance? They are hard to see, because they are only 3 feet tall.
See Photo....
Attached Thumbnails
DanHalen.png  
The Following User Says Thank You to azcfi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 AM

ive got a pretty creepy 1...

when i was 20 my girlfriend (ex now) and i decided to take a week long camping trip to some property that belonged to her fathers friend with my Australian cattle dog wrangler and her German Shepard zero. about 4 thousand acre undeveloped ranch in the northeast Texas woods. the plan was to be taken by 4wheeler to a point on the property unknown by us, and then we would hike back to the main gate over the next week. i had a GPS for an emergency but we planned on doing the trip with maps and compass only. we were well equipped for the trip. had enough food for 3 days,(planned to hunt the rest) water for 3 days and water purifying systems. all the necessary camping gear. she had her bolt action .223 and a tarus judge. i had my .22 rifle and my .40cal baby eagle.

we arrived at our destination and bid farewell to the friends that dropped us off on the 4wheelers. our first day we mainly wandered around exploring and figuring out our plan. there was a creek running through the property that we could follow and it would get us pretty close to the gate. we had our plan and had done enough exploring so we started setting up camp before dark. our first night was very pleasant for the most part. dinner by the fire with the dogs chit chatting all night till about midnight when we decided to turn in. i woke up around 230 with a strange feeling. i saw wrangler and zero at the door of the tent very tense but not making a sound. i knew right away something was up. both of these dogs were well trained and very loyal and protective of us. i stepped out with a light and the .40 to look around and left the dogs with my gf just in case( shes a deep sleeper). i made my rounds around camp and found nothing, but i couldn't shake the feeling that something was watching me. i passed it off as a pack of coyotes and went back to bed trusting the dogs to watch out for us.

we woke up the next morning and i told her what had happened. we just blew it off and began our day. well the second night we set up camp near the creek and things got a bit hairy. while sitting around the fire we heard a very strange sound. something ive never hear b4. the dogs began to growl and snarl facing the woods north of us. we quickly drew arms and began to sweep the camp sight. found nothing but the sound persisted around camp. it was like a snarling/gargling/sniffing sound. we didn't sleep that night. no matter how much we looks and checked we could never find the source of the sound and the dogs were restless the whole night.

by the third night we were very restless, when night fell we sat by the fire with arms at our sides. we were going to stay up in shifts to keep watch just in case. while i was asleep i heard the dogs go off and when i woke up i saw my gf standing with zero at her feet and her judge drawn. i quickly took arms at her back. something had apparently ran very rapidly behind the tent. she couldn't describe what it was. then it ran by again. i caught a glance under the light of the fire behind us, it was big and very fast. ran on all fours but thats all i made out. it sounded like more than 1 creature this time. they weren't coyotes. to big. and much to fast. heather spotted 1 again behind the tent and fired. we heard the nasty snarl again and wrangler broke away from me and gave chase. i love my dog but didn't dare go after him. i just called and called but he didn't return. we stood there guns drawn for an hour after she had fired. everything was quiet. then we heard rustling. we had our sights on the sound and wrangler came out of the woods. he wasn't hurt, but he had blood on his back. after this we decided to bug out at sunrise. we packed up and started hiking. we were about 2 days hike non stop from the gate and we were ready to do it.

the third night we didn't camp. we broke out the headlights and kept going. whatever was in those woods was back. following us but at a greater distance this time. they followed all night. that was one of the most intense hikes ive ever had. we hiked with our guns in front and the dogs in back. whatever was following us wasn't stupid. it stuck to our sides. usually about 40 yards out into the woods always out of sight. we stopped to rest for a few minutes around 4 am. they stopped too... from what we could hear it sounded like maybe 3 things out there. they got closer when we stopped and i thought i saw somthing and fired the .223. i didnt hit anything, probably my mind playing games with me but the shot scared them back to a much greater distance. by sunrise they were gone again. we made it to the gate b4 dark and high tailed it out of there....

we returned the next day on 4wheelers and with several other people to have a look around. we went to the site of our 2nd camp and found a blood trail from whatever the hell heather had hit with the slug shot loaded in the judge. the trail ran for about 200 yards b4 we lost it. we found nothing else and headed back b4 darkness caught us again. we never found out what they were. and no one had any experience like that on the property b4. to this day i try not to talk about it too much because i even have trouble believing it sometimes. i try telling myself they were coyotes with mange or mutated or something but heather never let me believe myself. not too many creatures out there can take a 410 slug and bleed that much without going down, especially not a yote. all i know is that i wont camp on that property anytime soon.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Hunter

Never shoot at anything you can't identify.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raglan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Free Born

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglan View Post
Ha! yeah rite, until your in a similar scenario when your being stalked then you will think different.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Hunter

Well you got a point. If it was charging towards me I would open fire with everything I had. If it was slowly approaching I would hold my fire. I don't think opening fire was warranted in this situation but thats just me. What if it was some other campers trying to scare you? Unlikely but you never know.

One question. With two dogs why did you feel the need to sleep in shifts?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Firefighter-HazMat Tech

On a routine patrol near my AO, we stumbled across a ritual sacrifice pit. Skulls of deer and bison on posts around a fire...right next to the fire was a dead black lab puppy that looked like it had been ritually disembowled...sad thing was, from the wounds it had, it looked like it was alive when it happened.

Creeped me the hell out.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Irish Jaeger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,449 Posts

i guess my second most creepy time i had when i was working in az and had a long drive back into town at two am in the morning and had a feeling i was beening watched the whole time when i was driveing with just beening out of sight of me .
i told someone about it and they seam to think that ghost of people killed on that stetch of highway watch over the road and keep a eye out for people when driveing at night time..
but one of the indian police officers tells me that skinwalkers live in that area and hunt for people that are driveing alone on the highway
so everytime i drove that road i had my 12.ga duty shotgun across my body when i was driveing ready to go if i was need
a local police officer road into town with me and thought it was funny intill we hit the spot where we felt we where being watch on the highway and he had is pistol out when i was driveing and his head was on a conast turning cycle to see what was around us..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,121 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Not an exciting story but once my husband and I decided we'd take our family on a moonlit walk on the Ridgeway. We have often walked at sunset, returning to our car after dark, so although we didn't normally go at night, it didn't seem too odd an idea. We drove up a long darkish road towards a place called Scutchemer knob and as we did, we got quieter, and about the same time, said to each other that we didn't feel comfortable with this.

It was a very strong feeling we both had - unusual because my husband is not very situationally aware a lot of the time (AS) nor particularly attune to things either spiritual or just beyond the normal senses. But he had it too this time. We turned around and went home.

I looked in the paper in the following day to see if there were reports of a rave or other activity there, but saw nothing. We still don't know why we both felt what we did, but believe that we were not supposed to be at Scutchemer Knob that night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
i don't blame her for taking the first shot. when i saw the damn thing its back was past the top of our tent which stands 5 ft tall and it was running on all fours much faster than anything I've ever seen. if it was someone messing with us it was one hell of a costume they had. plus we were on private property, they shouldn't have been there either way. normally Im not the person to shoot unless absolutely necessary, but after being followed the ENTIRE night with that horrible sound all around us i wasn't exactly thinking calmly or anything. plus i had my GF to worry about. shes a tough girl but i still felt that i was her first line of defense.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:

One question. With two dogs why did you feel the need to sleep in shifts?
honestly the old lady was a bit paranoid about it. at the time we thought we were just dealing with some kind of animal that we knew about, and she had been in a situation when she was 15 where her and her father had faced down a charging bear in Wyoming so she wasn't one to go to sleep with something running around that could b dangerous. the dogs could alert us and attack but it sounded big and i trust a .223 to take down something big more than i trust my 50lbs dog. plus i really wouldn't want to see my pup get hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to biglos454 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Patriot View Post
Back in the day, when I was in college, me and the oldest took off to a lake in the wilds of glacier country. I have extensive backcountry exposure, even did a stint as a big game guide in a remote backcountry camp. On this day we enjoyed the fishing and settled in for the night.
I pulled out my pan and stoked up a nice fire. It was clear and cool as the sun faded into the western slopes. We cooked up some fresh rainbows with garlic and butter and filled our stomachs. I leaned back against the cooler after pulling out a refreshing beverage. The boy was soon asleep by the fire as it had been a busy day. I sipped my beer and watched the moon light bouncing off the little waves in the lake. There was still a light glow on the western horizon where the sun had gone down and I could see the outline of the mountain peaks towering over the little lake. I slowly faded off to sleep with the sound of the lake waves gently lapping on the rocks.
I awoke with a start. The fire was out, the latern was out too. The moon was gone and it was pitch black. Something was wrong. The hair on the back of my neck stood straight out. I was paralyzed. I could hear my heart thumping as I strained to hear something in the bush, all was quiet. I had a horrible uneasy feeling. I gathered myself togather and started kicking around the fire, a small flame came alive and I quickly threw on some wood. In the firelight I could see that the boy had awoke and was shocked to see his wide open eyes staring at me. "Whats wrong?" he asked. "Nothing, go climb in the tent." I lied. He crawled into the tent but even in the light of fire I couldn't shake my waryness. Something was out there in the bush, and I could feel it was watching me.
I gathered up my light and flashed around camp. Nothing. Finally, I began to calm down and crawled in the tent with the boy. Then again, like clockwork, I awoke completely tense. This time I couldn't shake the feeling at all. I finally instructed the boy to wake up and go get in the truck. I packed up all of camp and drove around to the other side of the lake and slept with him in the truck. At dawn I got up and looked across the lake where we were camped earlier, and another uneasy feeling came over me. I decided it was time to go home. I don't know what was out there, or what was going on over there, but I know my instincts, and something was bad wrong with that place. Whatever it was, I will leave it to your imagination, it creeps me out to this day thinking about that night.
Cute story for Readers Digest.
How is this one?
About 2 weeks ago I had a bunch of Nicaraguan buddies over and we caught around 20 tilapia out of my pond and had a fish fry.
I crashed out, half tanked on moonshine, but screwed up and left the bedroom window open. My male AMbull hit him first and started screaming. My female American bulldog hit him next and let out a yelp.She had easily fixed " damage"
I jumped up with my 12 gauge and, rather than destroying my BR, beat the culprit with the butt stock.
I had to inject the male with ACE and knock him out, to alleviate the problem.Dozens of spines were in the roof of his mouth, tongue and nose.

Porcupine.In my bedroom ! 3 AM.
Welcome to the tropics !

Unfortunately. Totally true story. I gotta go shut my windows now...NOW !.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
To the Liberty Tree!

Thanked 1,489 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglmgusmc View Post
i
next one was a year earlier. i was camping in a remote part of a national forest in NC. it was late and i found a small hiden pond they call it a lake in NC but where im from its a big pond. so i decided to make camp for the night and to do some night fishing. i dont carry a watch with me when camping or my cell phone i like the privacy and the since of being alone. i do however carry my tomahawk that i can throw quiet well my bowie knice and my two side arms 12 gauge and my 44 mag. the .357 isnt big enough for the woods because it has a 2.5" barrel. so some time in the night i just get that danger feeling and at the same time my two sleeping dogs the pitt/bull mastive and bull terrier just jump up and go into a freenzy i have never seen before and i was scared because i could feel and see the fear in my dogs eyes. ive never seen them scared like this before so im about to **** myself because im in a very bad spot to defend myself and have no idea what is out there. i have my shotty loaded with buchshot and grab it now the dogs are getting closer to me and more violent in their barks and movements. so i shoulder my 12 and grab for my sure fire. i turn it on and about 4 feet infront of my dogs is a bear. i wanted to shoot it but i was hoping that it would run away. now for bear size it was small but they arent big in NC but it made my big dog look small. about the time i decide to shoot my pit attacked the bear then the bull terrier joined in to help. it was bad and the bear threw/claw/slaped the pit loose and i was to affraid of shooting my bull terrier to shoot. then the bear flung him off but about that time the pitt came back. to make a long story shorter this happened several times before i could shoot the bear several times with the buck shot to bring it down. i had to carry both my dogs to the truck and rush them to the vet. i dont know if the bear would of attacked if the dogs would have never attacked but i do know they kept the bear off me and would have died to save me and i will never ever go anywhere with out my dogs after that day. after seeing that i feel safer when my wife is home alone with the dogs than with a gun.
The importance of commas!!! I thought for a second that you were going to shoot your dog and took you for a madman.

All these stories are great! Keep em coming!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady Bug(ging) For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,800 Times in 829 Posts
Default mutilated cattle

Where we like to camp is high desert, and there are free range cattle around at different times of the year. A few years ago we were camping out and we normally hear coyotes every night- a pack that roams the night from north hills above us to the south looking for prey. They always yip and howl like its a circus. On this particular night there were no sounds. Not one coyote, no night hawks, not even bugs. Not one cow bellowed in the night, and that is not normal. It was really dark that night.

The next morning, on the way out, I saw a cow lying down in the field and not moving at all. I looked closer and saw it had been cleanly cut in the lower gut, and something had also been eating at it. I talked to the local cowboy later that day who saw it and told us it was a mutilation, this was like the one that had been dropped a few miles away two years before in a remote gully. No tracks around it, no blood, nothing. Like it fell from the sky or was placed there.

Now when you are right there and you don't hear anything at all, and this sort of thing happens, its creepy.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getyershells View Post
When I was a boy my parents used to take me and my older sister to my relatives house in Eastern KY. Right around Letcher Co. The closest city is Whitesburg.
That's just a few miles from me, just on the other side of Pine Mtn. Good story.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM

Default The first story.

The first story is why I take weapons in the wods with ammunition. Something like that first story happened at a WWII reenactment on a old plantation/indian settlement.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 AM

July 08 I was at a WWII Reenactment in Gretna VA. We were bivwacking in a civil war era farm house. First night the house made all sorts of settling noises. Second night my friend saw a shadow pass a window. Rushing outside we saw and heard the door of the shed move a little. With ouyr BFA M-1s and bayonets fixed we moved in on the shed. We had one Beretta 92 between us with a mag of live rounds. We search the shed and find no foot prints inside.