Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Hiker

Default Pocket Barometer/Altimeter

Advertise Here

Looking for a decent one. Would like to keep it at or under $ 45.00.

Suggestions/Recommendations?

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
Looking for a decent one. Would like to keep it at or under $ 45.00.

Suggestions/Recommendations?

Thank you.
It's more than $45, but the Casio Triple Sensor Pathfinder Watch is the best bet. Maybe you can find a used one on Ebay. They are pretty much indestructable.

Waterproof to 100 meters
Light
Barometer
Thermometer
Altimeter
Compass
Alarm
Stop Watch
Time

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
Would like to keep it at or under $ 45.00.
Good luck. Maybe a ebay seller that doesn't know what they got??

I'll be gosh darned, second item on google:

http://www.generaltools.com/Products...__ABAR381.aspx

Last edited by bltjr1951; 05-16-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: found one
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Location: in a large Canadian city, with a rural SHTF retreat property in Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB View Post
It's more than $45, but the Casio Triple Sensor Pathfinder Watch is the best bet. Maybe you can find a used one on Ebay. They are pretty much indestructable.
Post-TSHTF, you want to own a solid mechanical pocket barometer. And no, that won't be available for $45. What you want to own is German precision engineering at its best:

http://www.geology-outfitters.com/default.asp?p=845

or with a photo from the UK Amazon site:

Actually, own two. It's a good $200 investment. One to use, one for barter, when the electronic ones hit the scrap heap.
The Following User Says Thank You to canadabis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,843 Times in 783 Posts

How necessary do people believe this is? On all hiking/canoe/camping/hunting trips I've been on I've never carried a barometer. Be prepared, deal with whatever the weather is.

Am I missing something here?

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Location: in a large Canadian city, with a rural SHTF retreat property in Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ardua View Post
How necessary do people believe this is? On all hiking/canoe/camping/hunting trips I've been on I've never carried a barometer. Be prepared, deal with whatever the weather is.

Am I missing something here?
A barometer is useful for fishing, google it.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadabis View Post
A barometer is useful for fishing, google it.
So I did look it up and found (very first hit) the relationship of trending pressure to typical associated weather and the effects on fishing. Soooo... this tells me as long as I understand the the weather conditions and the effects on fishing I don't actually need a barometer - I can just look at the sky and feel the temperature change.

This leaves me with my original quandary - I still don't see the importance of a barometer in a survival situation. Not saying there isn't one - I just don't see it yet.

Shed light if you can - thanks.

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,142 Times in 2,052 Posts

I have a triple sensor, gets about 6 years on a set of batteries. I never uses the alarms or backlight. You had better know what you are doing to change them yourself.

My previous Casio didn't have the thermometer. I set the elevation at the Boise Airport, 2 hours later I stuck my foot in the pacific ocean at checked the altitude read O.

Once that older watch started beeping for no reason. Got the book out, it seems that the rapid change in pressure alarm was alerting. The cloud burst dumped like 4 inches of water in the driveway in like the 10 minutes it took to look up the issue and put on shoes to run out and roll up the car windows.

In thick cover or steep narrow canyons your line of sight to see the front coming can be limited, the graphing barometer will tell you a storm front is coming even in the dark.

Required item No, useful Yes. You could make your own wall mount. Glass tube, mercury, some oil and a tape measure.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM
This is a great survival forum

I had a Casio atomic watch which I returned. Most of the time, the information in the barometer/altimeter/thermometer was just too off from what I knew were the proper numbers, even after careful calibration and recalibration. These devices are very finicky, and sensitive and things throw them off (like body heat).

I'd recommend getting a nice GPS many of which come with barometers/altimeters built in. That way, you're getting something essential (a GPS) and some secondary items which are nice to have but aren't a necessity.

So Per Ardua is right, there is no truly practical reason to have one for most backpackers. If you REALLY need one, then invest in the scientific instruments for geologists or skydivers cited above, rather than the cheap crap. I also dont recommend the cheapo Sun or REI zipper style thermometers, they are perpetually wrong in my experience.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
So I did look it up and found (very first hit) the relationship of trending pressure to typical associated weather and the effects on fishing. Soooo... this tells me as long as I understand the the weather conditions and the effects on fishing I don't actually need a barometer - I can just look at the sky and feel the temperature change.

This leaves me with my original quandary - I still don't see the importance of a barometer in a survival situation. Not saying there isn't one - I just don't see it yet.

Shed light if you can - thanks.
You are probably a better outdoorsman than I. There are times when barometer pressure drops rapidly in blue skies well before any change in weather (from what I can tell). So I may have more need for such an item than you.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgar View Post
I had a Casio atomic watch which I returned. Most of the time, the information in the barometer/altimeter/thermometer was just too off from what I knew were the proper numbers, even after careful calibration and recalibration. These devices are very finicky, and sensitive and things throw them off (like body heat).

I'd recommend getting a nice GPS many of which come with barometers/altimeters built in. That way, you're getting something essential (a GPS) and some secondary items which are nice to have but aren't a necessity.

If you REALLY need one, then invest in the scientific instruments for geologists or skydivers cited abovel, rather than the cheap crap. I also dont recommend the cheapo Sun or REI zipper style thermometers, they are perpetually wrong in my experience.
Exactly. If you do decide a barometer is what you want, get a good and mechanical one that you can trust. It's like the camera market, where too many people look for megapixels and zoom rather than what actually counts for picture quality: the quality of the glass and optics. You can find cheap plastic lenses in expensive cameras. Ditto for compasses and barometers: do your research. The barometer I showed above is absolutely solid. Moreover, it is unwise to go for an electronic item when a mechanical one exists when preparing for a SHTF scenario. An electronic one MAY work for some time, a well-built mechanical one WILL work, reliably, every time.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,208 Posts

i use this one: i'm a weather spotter for the NWS and it does almost everything i need. what is missing is a compass so i just got a decent quality small liquid filled one and it velcro's to the back of the weather meter when in use.
The Following User Says Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM

For those who like an electronic solution, the best is probably this top-of-the-line Kestrel. A hand-held tough build military grade weather station, with barometer, wind speed, wind direction and all the works, complete with suggested adjustments for your shooting angle. $600.

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/product...g-ballistics-1
Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadabis View Post
You are probably a better outdoorsman than I. There are times when barometer pressure drops rapidly in blue skies well before any change in weather (from what I can tell). So I may have more need for such an item than you.
After looking into it some more, one of pieces of info I found was that barometric pressure changes indicate what is going to happen versus what is happening. As mentioned by another poster this warned him of an upcoming burst and allowed him to get his car windows up (translate this to hiking in an area at risk of flash floods). Also his comment re: canyons seems to have merit. I don't tend to find myself in those circumstances but can see some usefulness if you do. Perhaps also more important in a coastal or marine setting...?

BTW, I wouldn't classify myself as a particularly skilled outdoors man - but I do get by (and I sure do enjoy it!).

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,849 Times in 1,465 Posts

http://www.thealtimeterstore.com/sun203m.html
Here's mine. Japanese precision from Sun. No batteries, robust and accurate. I travel in tilted mountainous terrain a lot and use this often to be certain of my elevation.
I consider a good altimeter an absolute must for mountain travel.

Welcome to Wyoming,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,767 Posts

Nice gp100, I have the same. What kind of holster is that? I want one for mine...
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
After looking into it some more, one of pieces of info I found was that barometric pressure changes indicate what is going to happen versus what is happening.
Oh I thought this would have been clear. Yes, weather prediction in the absence of other options is the point of having a barometer. That, plus fishing. And while electronic gadgets are definitely way cooler, in a SHTF scenario I rather own a solid mechanical device.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post

http://www.thealtimeterstore.com/sun203m.html
Here's mine. Japanese precision from Sun. No batteries, robust and accurate. I travel in tilted mountainous terrain a lot and use this often to be certain of my elevation.
I consider a good altimeter an absolute must for mountain travel.
Looks solid. Your Sun and my Barigo both look good. Interesting: Japanese precision mechanics (Sun) cost $72, German precision mechanics (Barigo) cost $200.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

second JLB for the props for the Casio Triple Sensor, search around on Amazon for a good price. There are many styles. Also download the manuals from Casio. You will find they are all variations of similar models but they do have slightly different features and specifications as well as appearances.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?ke...evance-fs-rank
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Responder

I've had a Suunto E203 for more than 5 years, and it's still going strong. It can be set to altimeter mode with an elevation alarm for cliff bands etc., or weather station (barometer) mode to track changes in air pressure. I use it for skiing and mountaineering, mostly, but it's handy for rope access work as well. A bit pricey at $150, but a solid instrument.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ski.ninja For This Useful Post: