Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Hiker

Default Stocking up alcohol for shtf?

Advertise Here

I am thinking of stocking up on alcohol for SHTF. I was wondering bang for the buck should I buy mostly kirkland brand stuff at costco (is it any good and worth the money?) Or go for the better stuff and try to hunt down a discounter for good tequila and vodka?

SHTF I do not know if people would put a higher barter price on good liquor whats your guys take on this? I would prefer the better tasting liquor for my own consumption. Maybe its best to mix it up?

Any recommendations on good vodka and tequila for the price and where to get it? I usually shop locally at bevmos and trader joes for liquor.
The Following User Says Thank You to nullzero For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM

If I feel the urge I'll just make my own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John 142 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 142 View Post
If I feel the urge I'll just make my own.
Good vodka and tequila is much harder to make home brewing. That is why I considered the two. Wine and Beer being a lot easier. Not to mention consuming home brewed hard liquor post shtf can be very risky and possibly deadly.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Rockhound

If you're merely stocking for SHTF scenario, just stock up on the cheapest bum-killer and rotgut you can buy. Look for coupons at local liqour stores in those valpak mailers (or whatever you have in your area) to get 12-15% off bulk purchases.

No one's gonna care if you have the most expensive bottle of Ketel One vodka or the cheapest bottom-shelf Gordon's at that point. Hooch is hooch. Cheers!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheUndert0ker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,210 Times in 2,587 Posts

Here. Good track to listen to.

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/

Just do us all a favor, and don't feed your biscuit to the dog. Its just plain tacky. ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Hunter

im not a drinker but was thinking of picking up a couple of bottles of something,maybe some snapps befor they put a huge tax on booze,if there taxing soda booze cant be far behind for a big jump.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts

I would only buy what I like myself.
I wouldn't barter anything for some gut rot booze.
The Following User Says Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Hunter

The last thing i need when tshtf is to be impaired by liquor. I don't even drink now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raglan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Hiker

I was thinking the SHTF will be mostly financial. I was looking more of a hedge for my money today if hyperinflation etc. kicks in. My thinking is the good stuff will keep its value if not for personal consumption maybe to barter to someone who has some nice assets to trade. I love 1800 and Kettle One vodka for my own personal consumption. Maybe its best to do a 50/50 between good stuff and cheap crap. Drunks will drink anything but casual drinkers and those that are looking for some wind down relief from the financial pain would rather enjoy good liquor. I would think from the world wide financial mess good imported liquor would dry up and become harder to obtain.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Wide awake

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullzero View Post
I am thinking of stocking up on alcohol for SHTF. I was wondering bang for the buck should I buy mostly kirkland brand stuff at costco (is it any good and worth the money?) Or go for the better stuff and try to hunt down a discounter for good tequila and vodka?

SHTF I do not know if people would put a higher barter price on good liquor whats your guys take on this? I would prefer the better tasting liquor for my own consumption. Maybe its best to mix it up?

Any recommendations on good vodka and tequila for the price and where to get it? I usually shop locally at bevmos and trader joes for liquor.
Fantastic topic.

I have taken lately to polishing up on the post-Stalin Era Soviet culture in order to attempt to predict my future under the current administration and legislature.

Even during a couple of partial prohibition periods, vodka (the Russian favorite) thrived on the black market. Much like gold (where trading it was punishable by death), vodka became even more valuable the more it was controlled. Although I don't drink heavily (typically one every week or two), liquor has been an increasingly important part of my preparations for its value as a bartering medium.

Now personally, I have been stocking some less expensive brands of liquor (Absolut, Bacardi Select, etc.), but I have also been putting away some top shelf liquors, such as Gray Goose. A small part of me is even itching for a good SHTF scenario so I can break into my new bottle of Johnny Walker Green Label (won't be trading that one).

And I concur with your second post nullzero. Although I would love to learn to distill, polishing your brewing skills is much easier (not to mention it's legal).
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,840 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I stock cheap vodka. And a couple mid road other things I've bought on sale.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
trois pour cent

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,288 Posts

I rotate those preps every weekend.
Often with the help of good friends.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maurepas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 32,641 Times in 8,051 Posts

I've always felt food was a better prep than alcohol, based to a large degree on this end-times quote.....
Revelation 6:6 "And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine."
Apparantly, the booze is gonna keep flowing. YMMV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Target Shooter

I just don't think it's efficient. You have to pay taxes, and as a liquid it fights with water when you consider the amount of weight you can carry when you bug out.

I would merely have copper tubing - the hardest part of the still to make post shtf.

If you want to stock up, I would recommend the high brand. Once everything stabilizes cheap alcohol will be easy to get from moonshiners. But tequila or aged whiskeys, as you said, would be hard to get. Connoisseurs will always be around, disparity of wealth will always exist, and there will always be a rich connoisseur who will want the stuff and will be willing to pay an exorbitant price.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 PM

White Lighting. It is cheap, lightweight, and a lttle goes a long way. Plus, you can start fires with it.

When a Jarhead like me has a long day working on my BO land, I pull out my canteen cup, fill it 2/3 with water, 4 tps of Tang, and two shots of White Lighting. Sip slowly to rehydrate, and relax.

Over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Target Shooter

We've been stocking up on vodka...medium quality brands...because we use it to make our own extracts. I agree that if you're planning on bugging out the weight would be a disadvantage but if you're bugging in, go for it if you have the money and the room. I also agree that picking up something as cheap as possible would be the way to go for trading because people aren't going to care at that point.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Obama = Black Bush

Thanked 1,447 Times in 788 Posts

Besides its barter potential and its pure enjoyment potential, remember that alcohol is also a good pain killer, sedative, and anesthetic. And disinfectant, too.

Your stores, in good times and bad, whether or not you drink alcohol, should include a variety of alcohol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,630 Times in 1,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurepas View Post
I rotate those preps every weekend.
Often with the help of good friends.
You sound like a very well-rounded, socially adjusted, kind-hearted individual....

The compulsive collecting of objects is known as pathological or compulsive hoarding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHCraigT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levant View Post
Besides its barter potential and its pure enjoyment potential, remember that alcohol is also a good pain killer, sedative, and anesthetic. And disinfectant, too.

Your stores, in good times and bad, whether or not you drink alcohol, should include a variety of alcohol.
By variety, I assume you mean both 5th and 1/2 gallon sizes of Bushmills, and Jim Beam Rye whiskey?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stickman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,210 Times in 2,587 Posts

Give he who is weak of heart strong drink.

This tells me troubles will pass, and to be able to have strong drink if needed.