Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Trapper

Default Home fortification... ideas

Advertise Here

Right i've been racking my brains as for ideas of what can be done to a house to keep it liveable and also fortified ...

All the FIBUA training i have been involved in with the military has been with specialy made buildings without the windows and interior doors etc ...

So whats everyones 2 cents worth to this subject ...?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,526 Times in 743 Posts

My thoughts?? GOOD LUCK!!

My house is like most built since the 90s... lots of windows and very few enfilading opportunities. Takes a lot of eyes to deal with it. I could alter this, of course, but it would be OBVIOUS.

Our defense, at this time, is good relations with neighbors and plenty of avilable "shock" if need be. Then it's good ole combat time.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jericho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Hiker

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless there's complete Mad Max style chaos, but you can make pretty simple trip-wire boobie traps using shotgun shells and mouse traps. I won't get into details, in case there's some kids reading this, but you can probably figure it out.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,641 Times in 765 Posts

I've heard alot of people plant potatoes in tires so when I get my land next month I'm going to plant alot and if I had to pull them up for mad max style I could provide some bullet stops hopefully. And atleast they would already be on hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to shawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
just waitin' for it

If ya have a basement sheltered by earth on 1 wall, build a block room with concrete ceiling inside it, and backfill and cover with mass, as much as possible (earth, books, rock etc., 3 feet worth is idea all around it) That'll be good for fallout! Don't forget ventilation! 12" thick Papercrete blocks will stop bullets, even big ones, but there's some question of their flame retardance (sp.)(or lack of)
Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 AM

I saw on this show once this couple actually bought a huge warehouse and furnished it like a real home. You could move into a warehouse with high ceiling and windows and such. The top half of the warehouse could be your barracks while the bottom be where you store supplies and such. All that space would be really great and the walls would be thick and the windows could be covered with like a metal curtain so in mist of an attack all you would have to do is close your windows. It would be like living in a huge bomb shelter, pretty cool idea huh? You can thank me later..lol
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Target Shooter

if you have a basement that isnt finished you can simply block out a room with concrete cinderblock and turn it into a safe room. that would be the easiest way to set up a place to go when tshtf and still have livable house that dosent appear out of the norm. if you are building a house just get the contractors to pour and extra 20 ft of concrete floor space tword the back of the house when the pour the foundation and create a spare room that isnt above ground and isnt noticable to anyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apocryphia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,922 Times in 10,488 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

pack the space between the outer wall and sheetrock with sand and rebar
Old 01-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hunter

Just what is your current situation?
How is the place laid out?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 AM
American Survivor

Thanked 1,065 Times in 166 Posts

As I am bugging in I am setting up my shop as a move to location, it is a steel building with steel roof, 12 foot walls and no windows this way fire is not an issue, my plan is to sand bag around the interior up about 6 ft, I am installing solar panels on the roof for lighting and already am storing all supplies out there, I will run barbed wire around the buildings exterior and will park cars, traps and spikes to prevent a car from making it to the building, I am fortifying the door and cutting gun ports to shoot from. I am also installing a 245 gallon water tank inside as I have the floor plumbed with a drain. I have my CB, Ham and shortwave radio station up and running with good reports. things are coming along nicely. I try and do something every week to better prepare, even if it's as small as buying another gallon of coleman fuel or preparing the property for defense. I just bought some heavy steel flat stock at a yard sale to bend and bolt to the 4x6 door posts so I can drop in some 4x4 posts sideways for door reinforcement. My advice is to keep thinking about it all the time and keep working at it as time and money allows. And by the way, I highly recommend the book "How to survive the end of the world as we know it" by James Wesley Rawles. Also the book "Patriots" is GREAT reading by the same author.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badlands For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Hunter

Your not defending against zombies. You'll also want more windows then anything. Put see through camo netting on the windows. Steel bars can also hold you in unless some engineering.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 26,512 Times in 7,986 Posts

Does anyone really want to be trapped inside a home with raiders outside who may do whatever they want?

Unless your home is fireproof--no asphalt shingles, no frame construction, no ventilated eaves which can provide a point of entry for fire to the inside--all it takes is one molotov cocktail and you're toast. You won't be able to fight the fire because standoff raiders will simply shoot at you.

The only plan that makes sense to me is to make our homes less desirable targets than others nearby, so raiders take the easier pickings. Even so, when those easier pickings are picked over and little is left, they'll be back for you.

IMO, it's better to generate community among your neighbors and support each other than to hole up in a death trap.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,495 Times in 6,343 Posts

Best practical advice I've heard is this:

Buy a few dozen extra full-size round trashcans. They nest pretty easy for storage. Have a ton of sand dropped in your backyard. When you decide you need the protection, fill them with sand and place them around windows and doors, so they provide protection while firing from those positions. Sandbags work too, of course. The protection against molotov cocktails is good advice as well. Any idiot can make them and burn you out....I'd advice metal roofing and mesh or other window-hardening to prevent them from busting a hole in the window and tossing it inside.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Hunter

For a guy building a fort out in the boons, he doesn't necessarily have to be fighting only from inside, while inside. Technology is a wonderful thing, and so is a creative mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jericho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,495 Times in 6,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
For a guy building a fort out in the boons, he doesn't necessarily have to be fighting only from inside, while inside. Technology is a wonderful thing, and so is a creative mind.
I wonder how long until there's laws governing the use of remote sentries?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
I wonder how long until there's laws governing the use of remote sentries?
They already exist.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Does anyone really want to be trapped inside a home with raiders outside who may do whatever they want?

Unless your home is fireproof--no asphalt shingles, no frame construction, no ventilated eaves which can provide a point of entry for fire to the inside--all it takes is one molotov cocktail and you're toast. You won't be able to fight the fire because standoff raiders will simply shoot at you.

The only plan that makes sense to me is to make our homes less desirable targets than others nearby, so raiders take the easier pickings. Even so, when those easier pickings are picked over and little is left, they'll be back for you.

IMO, it's better to generate community among your neighbors and support each other than to hole up in a death trap.
I think that this is a very good reply. Not everyone has the ability to fight against a determined mob. Even if you have got that ability (and I'm sure many here have) there is always the chance of a mistake and you are injured or dead.

I think the first line of defence should be to avoid conflict if at all possible. I don't mean you should be a wimp, but to avoid unnecessary danger is part of surviving. If you have to fight, by all means, throw everything you can at them.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
"It's never over!"

A brick house is always a good idea. However a cinderblock house that can be filled with concrete is even better, I've seen some. Not very attractive houses. Another good idea I've saw on Best Defense Survival was basement windows you can crawl out of into a small man hole with a lockable grate covering it. It would make a good fighting position or escape route.

Good relations with the neighbors is a good idea also. If you don't have any people skills you better get some. If you have burned a bridge it's not too late to rebuild it.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,202 Times in 497 Posts

While a strong central defensive position is important Mr. Murphy will frequently come into play when you really don't want his help like when the house is on fire and running around with a water hose isn't the best option so I wouldn't forget about egress with several natural fall-back positions like an old reinforced car trunk maybe over pre-dug spider/fighting holes, steel/sand bag reinforced wood piles, large brick BBQ pits, hasty tangle-foot/barb wire, rattle cans, pre-made/positioned motolov cocktails (save those wine bottles boys), fencing/gates, raised firing platforms/tree stands, raised garden beds. Think defense "in-depth". Fail to pre-plan plan to fail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incoming For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,708 Times in 793 Posts

Some good advice here. The trash can thing is a good point. 1 trash can filled with sand can withstand 100s of 50 cal BMG ammo rounds. At work I used this, although I had rubber on the inside of the trash can because the plastic cans would eventually be so filled with wholes the sand would run out.

If I could choose a house I would have an attached garage. This way you can load up your BOV and get inside of it safely, start it up and make your get away. A nice SUV or truck with 4 wheel drive and some brush guard bars on the front and run down anyone blocking your exit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishmike357 For This Useful Post: