Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Hunter

Default How much ammo can you carry?

Advertise Here

I'm trying to decide the best way to carry my ammo if I decide to bo. I'm thinking of getting a few cartridge belts for my 30-30 rds. I would probably stick my 357,s in my bob in their boxes.
How are you carrying your loose ammo(not magazines) and how much do you think you can carry effectively? I will probably take about 100rds of 30-30, 50rds of 357, 15, rds of 38spl, and if i take my .22 about 200rds. I plan on having a lot more at my bol and of course if I drive I can also carry much more.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,090 Times in 495 Posts

must assume you mean in a SHTF scenario,and not every day during normal times. for say scouting,patrol,foraging, one sidearm 2 spare mags one in weapon, rifle whatever type minimum 180 rds. Ammo = weight how far you going to carry it. Loose ammo stays in ammo cans at camp or hidden in caches in the area.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 AM

This is one area people go overboard with. I would also need more info. Do you plan on staying on your feet for long periods of time, are you just going to your bug out location? If you are only planning on doing a few days worth of hiking, you can carry more. If you are going to be bugging out in the woods for a few months, and on the move a lot, less is better.

For a primary weapon, 12 magazines with 30 rounds each. These will be split between two people. For my secondary, 6 magazines with 15 rounds a piece.
For the .22, about 550 round battle pack, again this is split between two people.

If I need more ammo than that to defend myself, I will need reinforcements. I am not a platoon, I am a person trying to hide, and limit my engagements. The .22 is for feeding myself.

Now if I am stocking up for the bug out location, a 6 figure number comes to mind for having enough. Ammo forts are cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to DueNorth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
This is a great survival forum

I need a gun stronger then a .177 pellet gun :D. Sure it drops turkeys and raccoons but i need a .22, the one i want is pre-loved for $75. But I have a bow with over 100 arrows, 2 .177 pellet with about 7500BB's and 2500 of each flat and curved pellers and 5000 of each pointed and hollow tip (all together they weigh about 25-28lbs). But i need a car to bug out location #1 and the river and canoe is bug out #2 so weight isnt really the matter its size.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,948 Times in 12,714 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I believe that the basic "rule of thumb" in the military is that soldiers carry around 10, 30rd mags of .223 for their M-16 and 4 or 5 mags for their sidearm. Of course, this number can vary depending on the size of the man. Carrying lots of water is also very important. In fact, water would probably be my first priority if I'm going to hike for an extended period. A man can survive for a much longer period of time without ammo than he can without water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2009, 09:56 AM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,039 Times in 974 Posts

rack ves has one mag in each pouch and two boxes of ammo in each pouch; the PDW or MBR has two mags stored with it, on loaded and the other unloaded, those are swapped monthly to avoid spring fatigue.

That arrangement is for long term storage, as most mags are empty, but are stored with cartridges readily accesible on hand so if I leave suddenly like in an earthquake or train derailment, I wouldn't have to search or sort for them.

If I was enroute to the BOL; my children do the monthly swaps to relieve springs. They don't load the hardware so i'm not concerned about NDs, just move the cartridges. While driving they can load more until the rack vest is full.

Told my wife, "see, your not the only one who has a rack that could be priceless around here." Of course after breastfeeding three children, with what we saved in formula and less Doctor bills, she's up by at least $50,000 right now. Oh, and she carries a .45 (LOL)
Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 AM
RKBA SNBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I believe that the basic "rule of thumb" in the military is that soldiers carry around 10, 30rd mags of .223 for their M-16 and 4 or 5 mags for their sidearm. Of course, this number can vary depending on the size of the man. Carrying lots of water is also very important. In fact, water would probably be my first priority if I'm going to hike for an extended period. A man can survive for a much longer period of time without ammo than he can without water.
Not in a firefight.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilaBOR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaBOR View Post
Not in a firefight.
I doubt most of us are planning on an all out fire fight with our wife and children in tow. If that happens, a man with his family is probably done for without other team members on board.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Hunter

we only used to carry 5 mags for the m-14,or 100 rds,
Old 05-03-2009, 11:13 AM
USMC Veteran 84 - 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Desert Storm I carried 6 magazine pouches for the M16 total 18 magazines for 540 rds. 2 pouches on front of cartridge belt,1 pouch on each side snugged up to my canteens and 2 pouches on my *ss pack. Carried my 9mm in old type .45 leather shoulder rig w/ 3 magazines. I fired my weapon a total of 3 times while I was there. My main job as Squad Leader was to control my squads movement, direct their fire and maintain communications with my command to provide eyes onsite information and to preregister calls for fire in case we needed air or artillery support. It may seem like a lot of weight at the time. But I would rather have the ammo and not need it that not have it and run short at that time. We made it back bodies intact! Can't say much about my mind but that is another story within it's self. I do not consider my bag a BOB. It is a GHB! I work 45 miles from home and have my route mapped out where I don't have to go through any towns on my way back If for some reason my vechicle is incapacitated and I have to set out on foot. It will take me about 15 hrs to make home. By that time the house would be buttoned up and the gate locked. Of course if my vechicle still works I am 40 minutes from home. In my pack I have the equipment to get home on foot if necessary. Defense/Hunting wise I have .22/.243 Rossi combo with 500/100 rds and Ruger GP100 with 100 rds. Any more than that is overkill for the area I live in and the areas I have to go through getting home.

Semper Fi
Chris
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM

First off, I’d forget the vehicle. Chances are you’ll end up “on foot”. Roads will be impassable, gas hard to find and even if you could bug out into open land like the desert with a 4X4, you’d still run out of gas. Besides, a vehicle is too easy to spot. Stealth is the key.
Even though I like my 444’s, on the east coast here I’d be more likely to grab the Marlin 1894 in 44mag (holds a lot more ammo) or the 30-30, more efficient for small “potable” critters & big enough for protection. Along with a sidearm. I like those 10 & 14 round cartridge carriers. Each one of my gun bags has two carriers one holds the primary ammo (most accurate) other holds the heaviest man/bear stoppers I can load and still get a decent group. Each carrier holds enough for the initial loading and a reload. I figure shooting a gun is a “last resort“.

Draws attention to you.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,686 Times in 2,851 Posts

it really depends on the situation,where you live ,and why your bugging out.and how long are you planning to bug out.it would have to get REAL bad for me to bug out.

i live in a very small city just on the outskirts of the city,so bugging out by vechile shouldnt be a real problem there are lots of backroads,and its just about a 30 min drive so 1 full tank would get me there and back several times. so i plan on takeing it all to the base camp.relocate the vehicle may be moot because i figure the woods will have x2-x3 as many campsites as during hunting season and probably x5-x10 as many ppl.it wount be hordes of ppl but alot will run for the hills so the woods will seem crowded

if i was on patrol with little to no food i would carry 200-500 rounds in mags for the MBR,and and 45 pistol rounds.all loose rounds stay at the base camp.

lets say an EMP hit and all electric items are fried and i had to bug out on foot. i would take a .22 and 2-3k in ammo,i would like to make up a bicycle with backpacks as saddle bags to carry some extra gear and a weapon or 2, i wouldnt ride it just walk with it.i would carry MBR and 200-500 rounds in mags and a pistol with 45 rounds in mags on me and put the .22 and all loose rounds as well as most of my extra food/water on the bike. i will carry in a med backpack everything i must have ,and put the extra stuff (luxury items)on the bike.until i get to campsite.

just a side note if you took 5k in .22 ammo and you only shot 3 rounds a day for hunting, it would last you over 6 1/2 years. so fishing and traps would extend your stay quite a bit

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 05-03-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Old 05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
last of a dying breed

Default Depends

Yes i will put my extra ammo in box's with newspaper or rags helps to keep it quite. As for ammo i will carry about 100rds of pistol and rifle ammo in box's.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Destroyer of Ignorance

Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,417 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Just shy of 1000 rounds in 30 round mags if I ditched all other gear in my LBE. Add a drop leg carrier and it could be even more.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,686 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpauselius View Post
Just shy of 1000 rounds in 30 round mags if I ditched all other gear in my LBE. Add a drop leg carrier and it could be even more.
hope your BOL isnt far because all that weight will wear you out(pending caliber) carrying ammo straped to your leg if not done right will wear a raw spot on your leg,but would work if done right
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Hiker

I got an SKS for a MBR so I'm getting some of those cheap bandoliers for it - 10 pockets, each hold 2 (some say 3) 10 round clips- that's 200/300 bullets, can't wait to find out how much that's going to weight, the rest of the ammo will be stashed away at camp. I figure if I get stuck out alone, if 200 bullets isn't enough to get me to safety then no number of bullets will. I'm not going all tacti-cool and getting expensive Molle gear, surplus stuff is fine if it's available.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Hiker

Most people think they are going to rambo it. In reality you do not really need more then 4 mags for the rifle and 4 mags for the hand gun. Unless you plan to stay out for more then a month. If the shtf I doubt most people would even fire a shot besides hunting (unless you are looking for trouble).
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,358 Posts

My BOB is actually a GHB. Since i work nights, and i am 25 miles from Home AKA BOL, I only plan to carry 3 pistol mags plus one in the gun. for the AK, 1 with the gun, 3 more in a pouch and 90 rounds in a pouch to reload.

It is probably overkill, since most of my traveling (25 miles) is open country on a State highway with none to few houses. I would have to walk thru one small town though and too much weaponry would stick out in a SHTF scenario.

I am thinking of changing out the AK for a 22 for this reason. Not sure yet.

Any Opinons on switching from an ak to a 22 for this reason?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,761 Times in 4,118 Posts
Default Not so much amount you carry

But its what you can do with what you do carry. Remember the first trick to surviving a battle is not to be in one. Also I like a range game. The more range between me and anybody else the better.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglan View Post
I'm trying to decide the best way to carry my ammo if I decide to bo. I'm thinking of getting a few cartridge belts for my 30-30 rds. I would probably stick my 357,s in my bob in their boxes.
How are you carrying your loose ammo(not magazines) and how much do you think you can carry effectively? I will probably take about 100rds of 30-30, 50rds of 357, 15, rds of 38spl, and if i take my .22 about 200rds. I plan on having a lot more at my bol and of course if I drive I can also carry much more.
It might be a good idea to pack at least one mag fed weapon with a couple extra mags. If things get nasty you will be at a disadvantage while reloading if faced with a well armed adversary. It would suck to get rushed by a baddie with an AK while you are wasting time thumbing rounds into a 30-30 or wheel gun. Yes you might not be looking for trouble but if you have a working vehicle or visible weapons after the SHTF then you already are a target.
The Following User Says Thank You to Army 21Z For This Useful Post: