Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Hunter

Default Powdered gatorade mix

Advertise Here

Is the powdered gatorade mixes any good? Having some containers of these might not be a bad thing to have. It would beat drinking water and tea all the time. What is the shelf life of this? It has a lot of electrolytes and keeps me going during long days under a hot sun.
The Following User Says Thank You to raglan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 PM
John Has a Long Moustache

They're not bad but there are better options out there such as gookinaid:http://vitalyte.com/ or Nuun:http://www.nuun.com/. If you choose the Gatorade route get the smaller containers. The large ones let moisture in too easily and toss in a couple dessicant packs. If you don't after a while you'll have to chip it out to use it. Another good option is emergen-c: http://www.emergenc.com/ although my packs have gone stale after about 6 months, again absorbing moisture. I'm now keeping them in a vaccum sealed bag with dessicant packs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulf23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Hunter

not gatorade but i bought some other drink mixes to add to water bottles to cut down on drinking the same thing all the time,
The Following User Says Thank You to olddude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 PM

Thanked 2,943 Times in 846 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Not too familiar with Gatorade here. Are there any advantages of Gatorade over standard drink mixes? (in reality, not just the manufacturers fantastic claims). I have opted for #10 cans of drink mixes from Emergency Essentials for long term storage. It is an important prep, for some of us.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:43 AM
cute is not always enough

I like Gatorade because it has a subdued taste and is not sickly sweet. I tried Gookinade a long time ago and it was just as good; the only reason I buy Gatorade is it is readily available here.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 28,273 Times in 14,856 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I like the lighter, not so sweet taste. You can get it in sized from a 5 gallon to 1 qt.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,027 Times in 440 Posts

According to the www.gatoradeforless.com site the shelf life of the powdered form is 2 years.

I love Gatorade! I drink Gatorade slurpees and used to chew Gatorade gum when I was a kid.

The stuff sells $3 billion is the US alone, amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to boy george fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM

gatorade along with a a bunch of other companies make the small packets that you mix with a 20 oz of water that has a bunch of flavors and being individaul size you only open what you need when you need it
its a little expensive to buy if you want a bunch t 1 time but is not so bad if you buy a few varioties every time you go to store
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM

If you are looking for the single serve packets for standard bottles of water, check out your local Costco or Sam's Club. They have good deals on the crystal light stuff. While that doesn't have the potassium or electrolytes, it also doesn't have the sodium that gatorade does. With the sodium content of most canned goods/bug out foods you would do well to cut back on it where possible. For breaking up the sheer monotony of water, I find Crystal Light does the trick and can mask the flavor of iodine tablets admirably.

--CF
Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM

Has anyone seen the Gatorade powder that comes in the orange container with the scoop? (Not in packet form.) Seems like my local stores don't sell the big container anymore, which is too bad. I usually use half the amount they recommend in a water bottle. The little 1-oz packets are not nearly as good a deal. (But it's good to have a couple on hand for the BoB.)

I guess I could start buying those big gallon+ packages online and just dump them in to a drybox.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Prepared

Sometimes i buy the Larger container that can make 5 gals. It includes a measuring cup to make smaller batches. I had no problems with it as long as i followed the directions. If you do not measure it correctly, then not so good. Good luck.

N-
Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,752 Times in 514 Posts

I put a large container of powdered Gatoraid in my preps for Y2K. In about 2003 or 4 I opened it and made use of it. Thought it may solidify in the can. It was very good. But, now I cannot find powdered Gatoraid in any form in our stores. I can find bottled Gatoraid but not the powdered.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Default Make your own Gatorade! More flavors to choose from!!

* 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
* .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
* 1 package of Koolaid mix for flavor
* Water to make 2 liters

The lite salt has the electrolytes in it; don't use regular salt. This is much cheaper and a lot more flavors to choose from.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM
You're no daisy

Thanked 1,798 Times in 680 Posts

I keep a few canisters of the powder in my preps, and I keep the individual ones for 32oz bottles in my BoB and Get Home Bag.

I also like the crystal light strawberry ones with caffeine. I keep those in with my water filter in the BoB... figure a little caffeine boost would be nice, and it will make any water taste good.

One thing about Gatorade, and probably any of those drink mixes that replenish electrolytes... probably best used when you are exerting yourself (sweating) and not for every day use... I have always been suspicious of them causing kidney stones, though the medical studies are inconclusive... kidney stones are the last thing I want to deal with if SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to kef3stlmo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Gun Luvin Hippie

I think powdered drink mixes definitely deserve a place in everyone's food preps. Gatorade isn't my favorite as far as nutrition and taste but it does have some useful carbs and electrolytes. My favorite is Crystal Light because of it's simple ingredients and for nutrition I think Emergen-C is the best. On a side note I once worked for a steel supplier who supplied a Gatorade plant with all their stainless food grade materials. I will never forget the phone call I got one day from the plant complaining how the 316L stainless steel pipes we recently supplied them were not holding up to the "corrosive properties" of their product!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 AM

I pretty much lived on Gatorade when I was in Iraq in 2003.

Now that was some crazy heat!

My wife would send me a few containers every weeks and it made that nasty water more barable since we had to drink so much.

The only thing is that for some reason it gave me bad heart burn.

Mostly the fruit punch.
The Following User Says Thank You to 25074 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf23 View Post
They're not bad but there are better options out there such as gookinaid:http://vitalyte.com/ or Nuun:http://www.nuun.com/. If you choose the Gatorade route get the smaller containers. The large ones let moisture in too easily and toss in a couple dessicant packs. If you don't after a while you'll have to chip it out to use it. Another good option is emergen-c: http://www.emergenc.com/ although my packs have gone stale after about 6 months, again absorbing moisture. I'm now keeping them in a vaccum sealed bag with dessicant packs.
HUGE +1 on the Vitalyte/Gookinade. Screw gatorade!

Seriously, that stuff works MUCH better than gatorade. I first found out about it on a 3 day backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. Got to Phantom Ranch at the bottom. Aside from first buying a half dozen ice cold beers and downing them (bad idea when you're dehydrated. We barked at some deer later that evening as a result...) I noticed that I hadn't brought any gatorade/mix with me. They only sold the Gookinade down there, so I picked some up. To say the least, the only way to get hydration INTO your system faster is an IV.

I've seen it available in small tubs of powder on the REI website, but I always just buy it in the individual packets. After having bought a large tub of gatorade mix at costco some time ago and finding that it turns to crap rather quickly, I'll not go that route again.

To this day I always keep at least three packets of Gookinade in my backpack when I'm on hiking, along with a .75L CamelBak bottle of water for mixing it up. (This is in addition to the 3 liter bladder of water of course.) That gookinade setup has saved my own ass a few times, and definitely kept a hiking partner from getting badly dehydrated on a recent trip. Buy 12 or more at one time at REI and they give ya 10% off too, plus your REI dividend cut as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
* 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
* .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
* 1 package of Koolaid mix for flavor
* Water to make 2 liters

The lite salt has the electrolytes in it; don't use regular salt. This is much cheaper and a lot more flavors to choose from.
Thanks for the recipe, we will have to try that. I have quite a few koolaid mixes in my food storage, they never go bad.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Prepared

We too have purchased Gatoraide in the larger containers. Unfortunately, there have been some that were an "offbred" flavor, that we didn't catch when we picked them up. Eventually, when push comes to shove, they will be used, but they will be a last item.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 PM

definitely make it yourself for long term

we should all be storing sugar, salt and 'lite salt' any how

i personally use lemon juice to flavor it which will store for a long time as well.

just experiment a few times to make your mix so it is drinkable and then save the recipe so you can make some HUGE batches later if you need it.

saves a lot of money which can go right back to preps
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyFeet For This Useful Post: