Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Nuclear Radiation Protection

Advertise Here

I was wondering if there is suits that protect from radiation.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,240 Posts

YES...The Government uses them....I hope these links work for u... www.saferamerica.com www.radshield.com IF they don't work type them in your browser ...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I love this forum

again, what kind of budget are we working with?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM

There are three primary forms of radiation: ALPHA particles, short ranged (only several
inches in air), stopped by sheet of paper, BETA, high energy electrons, capable of traveling up to 50 feet in air, stopped by thin gauge metal GAMMA - high energy
electromagnetic radiation, stopped only by heavy materials (lead, steel, concrete)

To stop Gamma radiation would require materials so heavy as to be immobile

Thing is to stop radioactive dusts from landing on body or being inhaled or ingested -
once in body cause celluar death or mutations leading to cancer.

One needs some kind of barrier material to guard against radioactive particles - a common TVYEK suit would be effective against alpha or beta radiation. Even a plastic
rainsuit would work. Would need rubber gloves and some kind of filter mask such as
a N95 mask which will filter out 95 % of particles in air or a gas mask.

An expedient defense could be plastic garbage bags and duct or packing tape to form
an impervious suit over normal clothes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Fear is the mind-killer

To answer your question very simply worded as is, no there is no suit that will protect you fully from a gamma radiation threat. There are, however, hazmat suits designed to encapsulate the body and prevent any exposure to any foreign (radioactive)chemicals and particles which could harm the body.

oh and for the record, it is not necessary to have lead, steel, or concrete to stop radiation. Most experts agree 4 feet of earth provides enough effective halving distance as to reduce gamma radiation from typical fallout to a safe level.

IMO, if you feel N.B.C. threats are a real possibility, a N95 mask, or military grade gas mask would be a better cost ratio investment than a full body hazmat suit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lierutian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Recent Blog:
Cook

Thanked 1,463 Times in 681 Posts

A nucular bomb kills by heat, blast and radiation. DO not look at a nucular bomb blast. I have talked to one that was in trenches for some tests. They were cold to cover their eyes with their arms. He said he could see the bones ijn his arm.
He said after the test, the sand was so brigh they could not look at it

Gamma radiation is generally stopped by distance and shielding. The further away from the source. the shielding can be reduced. Shielding can be concrete and lead up closea and dirt further away
In the late 50s and early 60s, people built fallout shelters burired in their back yards.The were stocked with food and water. The original preppers.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 40,699 Times in 5,587 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

There are mobile suits that protect one from Alpha radiation, Beta radiation, and very low level Gama radiation, along with a few other not too long lived or active elements in a radioactive fallout environment.

You need significant mass to shield against even moderate levels of Gama radiation.
There is no mobile suit that can do this yet. Some in design stages, but no suits.

The suit will give some protection against other elements of a nuclear blast, namely the dust stirred up, and the fallout particles themselves, a little bit of protection from thermal radiation. No protection to speak of from the blast or EMP.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,670 Times in 4,071 Posts

I worked in a claen room environment for several years and wore paper jump suits which got thrown away usually . I saved several of mine and figured that if the event occured I could effectively use a suit as required and provide a trash container for the disposal .
I don't figure on going out right away any way after a blast at least for a month or so .Giger counters and external cameras and RC car/cameras one can investagate with ,with out going out side.
Primary concern is the green house and maintaining a seal and caring for the live stock till it is safe to emerge.
Then firing up the tractor and scraping the land clean , uncovering clean dirt piles and manure to get things growing again.
If/when there is clean rain to justify the effort.
At least that's the plan.
Only wish I had a well.
The city here claims the water.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,376 Times in 2,270 Posts

Not against gamma radiation. Gamma is very energetic radiation from fallout that penetrates any possible suit material, even the lead aprons in x ray labs.

The most important function an NBC suit has is to keep particles off of your skin and out of your lungs. You take the suit off to leave the particles outside when you enter the shelter area. It will block alpha and beta which can cause burns from direct contact but that is pretty small potatoes compared to gamma radiation.