Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Question AR 15 Price Question (Colt 6920)

Advertise Here

I really want to buy my first AR 15, and I'm concerned about prices. After a lot of research, I have decided to go with a Colt LE 6920. I saw only one at an Atlanta area gun show yesterday (April 2009) selling for $1800. I tried to get the price down but the guy wouldn't budge, and said he sold 6 at that price the day before. I was tempted to buy it anyway, but there are always gun shows in this area.

I noticed that the president announced last week during his trip to Mexico that his administration would not seek any gun bans. House and Senate leaders Pelosi and Reid are against gun bans (Hard to believe, but I read this in the news). Will this announcement eventually cause the prices to go back down? Should I wait to buy that new Colt?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Trapper

Can you find any other brand AR-15 in your area or are you set on having a Colt. I would say go the kit route but right now have not seen any lower receivers or full parts kits in stock.

Im sure Del-ton, Model1 Sales and some other places would have the kits. Also take a look at Akpartskits.com thats where I got my kit from.

If you can find a full AR in a good price range in your area and your not set on a Colt go for it. Thats a steep price for an AR just for it to say colt.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Default Colt

I know there are other good brands out there, but I would like to get the colt 6920 because it looks like it got the best reviews. if I have problems with my rifle, I don't want to regret not buying a colt.

I'm really new to these types of rifles. I don't see myself buying parts and assembling one. I also like the idea of a warranty to back it up.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 28,232 Times in 7,099 Posts

I'll sell you a mint condition 1972 Colt car-15,with original owners manual and receipt,a couple nifty upgrades,tactical sling,5 mags and mag-pouch,and 350 rounds af ammo,all for the low-low price of $2000,even. FTF georgia sale, no tax,no B.S.
Think about it.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulabass View Post
I really want to buy my first AR 15, and I'm concerned about prices. After a lot of research, I have decided to go with a Colt LE 6920. I saw only one at an Atlanta area gun show yesterday (April 2009) selling for $1800. I tried to get the price down but the guy wouldn't budge, and said he sold 6 at that price the day before. I was tempted to buy it anyway, but there are always gun shows in this area.

I noticed that the president announced last week during his trip to Mexico that his administration would not seek any gun bans. House and Senate leaders Pelosi and Reid are against gun bans (Hard to believe, but I read this in the news). Will this announcement eventually cause the prices to go back down? Should I wait to buy that new Colt?
Clyde Armory in Athens GA. They may have some. Very good people - worth the short drive.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,396 Times in 3,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Franklins of Athens Inc
3941 Atlanta Hwy
Bogart, GA 30622 (Athens)
(706) 543-7803‎

Tons of guns!

Clyde has 'ehttps://policeguns.com/catalog/produ...scvuqb7o1ikad7m for $1495
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,752 Posts

I am not sure of the models that colt sell. I though they only sold 20" barrel target grade models. They go for 1500-1600 in NY.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Living the Obomination

Thanked 2,070 Times in 818 Posts

I bought a Colt 6920 for $1,400. new a few months ago at a gunshow. I felt like I was paying a hefty price but maybe not?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I feel good.... . . .

Quote:

My $0.02

Wait 3 months and watch prices drop and selection rise. Suppliers are already bouncing back across the nation from the past 8 months and prices will come down. Second, don't by a complete rifle system from a gun show, especially if it is from a dealer who travels the circuit and is not from your part of the woods if you know what I mean. Gun shows are only good for hard to find parts and private sales IMO. Its fun to watch the all the people there get caught up in the hoop-la and excitement and get there pants pulled down on something they could have got cheaper online or gunbroker.com, I think its funny. Anyway, with your budget you could do much better than Colt. Take a look at Wilson Combat or Lewis Machine & Tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody Creature For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,044 Posts

Why don't you try building your own rifle? You can build one for alot less than you buy one for.
Also, the Colt is a waste of money as they are no better than say a Bushmaster(I think you can get Bushmaster for around $800-$900)
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,396 Times in 3,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Creature View Post
Lewis Machine & Tool.
The absolute top of the line right there.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Colt will bring a premium...

Price for waiting. It will only get worse.

Bushmaster and other brands are just as good.

Check out:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=127081788

If you know someone with a Federal Firearms License, you can purchase from gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com. The rifle is sent to your FFL transfer person. You pay a fee to fill out Form 4473. If your not a felon or a nut, you get your gun.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,044 Posts

Also, don't get suckered into getting a gas piston upper. They are not worth touching with a ten foot pole. Stick with the original design-direct gas impingement.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get an AR on gunbroker.com right now from $1000 up to $1400, some with furniture already on them. Those were the prices I saw about a month and a half ago. I ordered an extra S&W AR M&P15X last December from AdventureOutdoors (Smyrna, GA), and it still hasn't shown up. They told me it would be about a 2 month wait back then. :/

Just find yourself a local gun shop or someone w/ an FFL, and get one on gunbroker if you can't find any locally. I wouldn't pay more than $25 to anyone w/ an FFL for the transfer fee tho...Some are as high as $40 because of demand.

You shouldn't have to pay more than $1400 for a good AR at this point.

As others have pointed out, you can also build your own...it's not hard, but it can seem a bit daunting if you're new to ARs.

Also, don't forget about ammo...You might as well buy 1000 rounds (or more if you can afford it), because you'll go through 100 sighting it in, then you'll want to get proficient in using it. Plus, you will want to have some left over. Many AR owners keep 2000+ rounds...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Default Thanks for all the input fellas

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to call that shop in Athens GA because I go through there every week for work. I think I am willing to spend no more than $1500 for that Colt 6920. I just want a great rifle that is perfect right out of the box, no headaches, confusion or regrets.

I recently bought a new Century wasr 10 ak47 at a gun show. I was disappointed that it has some problems with it: not all mags will fit, the handguard retainer slips up and down the barrel, the cleaning rod pops out after shooting a couple rounds. I can't believe it has these issues and it is brand new and I paid $700. It does have a tapco collapsible stock and tapco galil handguard, and a receiver cover with a rail. It does shoot great, but you have to be a gunsmith to get everything perfect. At least I didn't have to install those 3 upgrades myself.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 14,186 Times in 5,062 Posts

Quote:
Thanks guys. I think I'll try to call that shop in Athens GA because I go through there every week for work. I think I am willing to spend no more than $1500 for that Colt 6920. I just want a great rifle that is perfect right out of the box, no headaches, confusion or regrets.

I recently bought a new Century wasr 10 ak47 at a gun show. I was disappointed that it has some problems with it: not all mags will fit, the handguard retainer slips up and down the barrel, the cleaning rod pops out after shooting a couple rounds. I can't believe it has these issues and it is brand new and I paid $700. It does have a tapco collapsible stock and tapco galil handguard, and a receiver cover with a rail. It does shoot great, but you have to be a gunsmith to get everything perfect. At least I didn't have to install those 3 upgrades myself.
Unfortunately for you, Century is known for making crap AKs as well as Olympic Arms
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Default It will take more money to fix it...

Send your AK to www.rifledynamics.com
Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Stay Ready very Ready

I just got my dealers license and I can tell you if the guy was offering to sell you a Colt AR-15 for $1800 then he had a huge, and I mean huge, markup. I'm looking at one of the wholesalers I can use, and have purchased a firearm through, and at $1300 I would still be making really good money.

Bushmaster and DPMS AR-15's are listed even less.

Shoot me a private message and I can get into some specifics if you want to know more.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,038 Times in 1,648 Posts

I have owned Colt, Olympic, Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS. The only one to survive, not getting sold, traded, or upgraded is the COLT. Love it I will never part with it.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Thanked 1,228 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:

First of all, you can take anything and everything that comes out of Pelosi/Reid/Holder/and Obama's collective mouths when it comes to gun legislation, and bet every dime you've got that it's an outright lie. You won't lose any money. Saying publically that they won't seek any new gun bans means that they won't try and do it today. And if that's the case, it is only because it isn't politically feasible today. However, if you think that they've abandoned their agenda of complete disarmament of the American public, then you will one day find yourself sadly mistaken. Gun-grabbers, like other enemies of freedom, are patient...they are content to wait until the moment is right...years if necessary, before they strike. But their goal has not changed. It's a constant search for ways to upend the 2A, or find a way around it (see the thread on the International Arms Treaty that the Big "O" wants the senate to ratify).

As for pricing, take your $1800 and buy a Mini 14, a Mini 30, and an SKS.