Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM
CrackerJack Kid

Default Bayonet Lugs

Advertise Here

I just saw one of the most amazing things that I've ever seen in my life; the Mossberg model 590 special purpose shotgun has a bayonet lug at the end of it. I like shotguns a lot better than rifles, but I also like the fact that you can attach a bayonet to a rifle*; now, I don't have to comprimise!

I would like to know if there is any way to put such a lug at the end of another shotgun... like a semi-automatic one?

*EDIT: In fact, that was the only reason why I liked rifles in the first place. Pfft.

Last edited by M93; 04-20-2009 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: *
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 AM

the M590 is the current Military issue pump shotgun. They also issue a semi -auto shotgun made by Benelli. The "Trench gun" used in WW1 to clear German trench lines was a Winchester pump-shotgun with a bayonet lug. one of the roles the M590 is used for by the Military Police is crowd and riot control. a twelve gauge pump shotgun is intimidating enough; imagine being in the "riot" crowd when you see the MP's "fix bayonet"..........UH-OH!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cavscout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,013 Posts

If you plan on doing a bunch of hand-to-hand fighting then a bayonet is right up your alley.

If not, then I see no reason to have one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 27,918 Times in 14,654 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

When the call to "Fix Bayonets" is made, the S is too deep
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,321 Times in 5,799 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I put one on my 26" barrelled Remington 11-87. Got the adapter here: http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/ba...870-p-137.html

The gunsmith I had put on all the other options for the 11-87 machined a slug for the bayonet ring to go over and attached it to the end of the 5-round magazine extension (gives 9+1 capability).

The 11-87 gas system with a Poly-Choke on the barrel allows for the use of most types of shells. Additions: a combat bolt handle, Easy-loader carrier release, Speed-feed stock (4-rounds carried), oversize safety, 8-round side saddle, 6-round butt cuff, extended magazine follower, magazine clamp w/rail, sling hook attachments, GG&G tactical sling, and an OKC-03S bayonet that I will switch to a an 11-inch dealer sample bayonet after a couple of things are done to it to make it fit.

Why did I do the bayonet? (I also have one for my PTR-91). Here's my regular post on bayonets:

The Bayonet

When my father went through bayonet training during WW II it was not just for a last ditch effort after running out of ammunition. The bayonet was to be fixed when close quarters combat was anticipated. You did not just use the sharp end of the bayonet, either. You also slashed and used butt strokes and butt hammers. The use of the bayonet lessened the possibility of hitting your own troops with rifle fire when the combat was at CQC range with troops of both sides intermixed in a small area.

Since it is quite possible for the bayonet to become lodged in a bone in the enemy, standard procedure was to fire a round if the bayonet did not immediately come out of the enemy's body when the rifle was pulled back. The recoil would assist in disengaging the bayonet from the body and you were then free to carry on the attack.

There are lesser uses for the bayonet, not the least of which is prisoner control. A guard needs an intermediate response between doing nothing and firing upon unarmed prisoners. The bayonet can take that roll on quite easily. The threat of it, as well as the gentle (if that term may be used) prodding with it will often cause the prisoner to do what the guard wishes. You also have recourse to the fully deadly use of the bayonet to resolve the issue, with a round from the rifle as last resort.

The bayonet is also a psychological threat, by showing that the soldier is willing and able to take the combat to the face to face stage. If a unit is known to have used the bayonet effectively, it will weigh upon the enemy to one degree or another. The sight of fixed bayonets when close quarter combat is expected will, in many cases, affect the willingness of the enemy to press the attack.

These facts listed, you should be able to tell that I believe that the use of the bayonet still has legitimate value.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
A friend of the Site

the bayonet that comes on the 590 is the one that fits on the M-16 or AR-15
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Hunter

faceing some one with a bayonet on the end of a rifle is very intimadating when there coming at you many will run to get away with out fireing a shot back instead even when there armed.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
CrackerJack Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregener View Post
If you plan on doing a bunch of hand-to-hand fighting then a bayonet is right up your alley.

If not, then I see no reason to have one.
Yes, I do plan for it.

I want to be prepared for every situation I may or may not encounter.

Mr. Young put it in proper perspective:

Quote:
The use of the bayonet lessened the possibility of hitting your own troops with rifle fire when the combat was at CQC range with troops of both sides intermixed in a small area.
Now replace "troops" with friends or family and thats the situation that I most likely will be faced with. In my town a few years ago, 15 people broke into an 80 year old womans house, beat her up raped her and killed her. Our little town was shocked and scared, NOTHING like that EVER happened before.

It turned out that the people who did it were from Mexico and they never caught them.

It got me thinking and then I started shooting, (I like it!) and I want to pick up shotgun shooting as a competitive sport!

In the meantime I'm going to keep self-preservation in mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M93 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,627 Times in 3,285 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I put one on my 26" barrelled Remington 11-87. Got the adapter here: http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/ba...870-p-137.html

The gunsmith I had put on all the other options for the 11-87 machined a slug for the bayonet ring to go over and attached it to the end of the 5-round magazine extension (gives 9+1 capability).
....geezzz
The Following User Says Thank You to blue123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Hunter

I can't see why in the world anyone would want one unless they plan on fighting the battle of bunker hill all over again
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Angels on the sidelines..

Heh, a friend that recently got back from Afghanistan, saw the bayonet lug on my M590 and just gave me a M9 bayonet with a big grin on his face. Fits perfectly. I'm not saying it's all that practical nowadays, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

Last edited by mrmagooo13; 04-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Grammar
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmagooo13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,313 Posts

Bayonets are interesting, but not practical unless you are in unit-to unit combat. There have been several sucessful bayonet charges in the Iraq war, though. One was conducted by the U.S. Marines, the other was conducted by a British infantry unit near Basra. The Brits were pinned down, there were only 12 or so of them and there were an estimate 20-30 insurgents. The commander made the call to "FIX BAYONETS!" and they assaulted the insurgents dug-in fighting postion, and killed them all. Without taking a single loss. The soldiers said that they believed their success was largely because the enemy was terrified at the fact that they were being charged with bayonets, and didn't know what to do!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 AM

I remember the stories about the brits charge and the marines. The marines were out of Ammo and were prepared to use the bayonets when help arrived. The new marine Bayonets are like Bowie knives. I love them. I might buy another.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,460 Times in 3,239 Posts

I think this has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of...A bayonet on anything in today's military is almost unheard of and the practice, albeit very effective, does not lend itself to encounters with miscreants...

Get this damn Rambo image out of your head of holding off the masses of zombies or regular looters with a shotgun equipped with a knife...or for that matter with a M16, M14 or a sniper rifle...regardless what you've read in post apocalypse novels and seen in the various Sly or Arnie movies, the bad guys can and will shoot and if they have a modicum of intelligence (meaning read a military manual) will know how to suppress fire, enfilade, maneuver and in other words kick your ass to Hell and gone...

The safest course of action is hide...do not take shots at 300 yards, if they can't see you they can't shoot you so why give away your position...

Oh, the reason that bayonets aren't being forced on soldiers anymore is because it isn't a static battle field like the trenches of WW1 and the dug in positions of the Japanese during WW2...Sure they look pretty on the end of a rifle but the first thing we were taught in hand-to-hand combat was how to disarm a bayonet wielding attacker--You'd be better off with a sword!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Hunter

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ticle88661.ece

Bayonets seems to do just fine!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8252974.stm

Also!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Bite 'em back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglan View Post
I can't see why in the world anyone would want one unless they plan on fighting the battle of bunker hill all over again
Bayonets may not be the most practical things out there, but for me, it's a no-brainer.

IT'S A BIG FREAKING KNIFE ON THE END OF YOUR GUN.

Heck, I'd buy a broom with a bayonet if they offered one, and yes, I do have the Mossberg 590a1 with its M9 bayonet.
The Following User Says Thank You to lowercase For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,364 Times in 6,635 Posts

I love the bayonet, as a utility knife not on the end of my rifle.

The nature of warfare has changed so much in the last 20 years that the bayonet charge is of limited or no use to the infantry commanders generally.

The British bayo charge in Basra was an anachronism, and although it worked I wouldn't want to be in on one.
But it took some stones to pull it off and definitely hats off to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,138 Posts

Whats not to love, just callit a recoil suppressor

Or a fancy wire cutter with its sheath.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Bayonets on shotguns are aim improvement devices according to a WWI vet I talked to one day.

He said he carried a shotgun with a bayonet on it in the big war. I was just a little kid at the time and asked him what a bayonet was and he said it was something that helps you aim. So I asked you how. His answer was you stick it into the jerry’s gut to hold him still so you can shoot him. Being the dumb kid I was I asked how you got it back out and he said you pull the trigger.

Bayonets will come in very handy when hunting blue headed frogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
I'll eat your gold.

Thanked 2,149 Times in 851 Posts

A bayonet lug is a tiny tiny little piece of metal that gets in the way of NOTHING. Whats not to like about it? Trust me you don't have to own a bayonet just because you have a 590A1.
I do not own a shotgun with a bayonet lug on it. Would I complain if my 870's came with a bayonet lug..... well, no.... I would not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American Chestnut For This Useful Post: