Survivalist Forum banner

Best Gas Mask To Buy

12K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  joes 
#1 ·
I was wondering what gas mask I should buy.

I would like one that has long lasting filters.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

#6 ·
Thanks for posting this, at least I know where NOT to buy a gas mask. They state that most Israeli gas masks are beyond their expiration date and that they have "new" masks mfr'd in 2003 and can be yours for only $148.00 bucks. What a bunch of crap. I just saw two Israeli masks with filters (with my own eyes at a surplus store) that were both clearly marked as being made in 2003 for $24.95 each. They are the real deal.

I seem to remember hearing some b.s. about this site before but cant remember the source.

Do your homework before buying.

Things to know about gas masks

1. Can you make a good seal (i.e. an airtight seal by placing your hand over where the filter goes, inhaling and having the mask collapse to your face?) If so - you can at least trust that part about the mask.

2. The filter - do the original seals maintain their integrity? If so, you can most likely trust that it will filter out what is was orginally designed for -- what exactly that is, is up to you to research. Filters don't "go bad" unless exposed to the elements and absorb sh!t -- which is what they are supposed to do.

3. I would rather have an old german mask that seals tight to my head with a new filter that "might work" in it when I see people doing the blood spurting shake dance all around me than to have no mask at all. Your choice.

#4 ·
The Army says the filter is only good for one year after opening, less if exposed to any agents or humidity (like in a car)

It may not be good that long if past the storage date, filters do have chemicals in the filters that can decompose with time, even sealed

With blood agent the filter might be good ten minutes, that is why they make filters that can be changed without removing the mask now, unlike the old cheek pouch filters

the M-40 is adequate but not best, but are you sure this is where yo want to spend all you prep money???

#9 ·
No. So long as you get a current (less than 20 year old) M-15, M-40 or newer style industrial mask, you'll be "OK" as they are designed to withstand the onslaught of NBC weapons. All masks are designed for temporary use, so there are no longevity studies to my knowledge. During Desert Storm, if I am remembering correctly, they provided for up to 3 days of use of the mask full time. However, they also expected that troops would have access to "clean rooms" so that they could eat and rest. I cannot imagine wearing a mask for 24 hours, though.

Gas Masks are designed to wear until you can remove yourself from the danger, or the danger dissipates in the air. It would be uncommon (though not out of the question) to be in an area that was continually inundated with a biological or chemical weapon. If you are worried about things like small pox, plague, etc., the best thing you could do is wear your mask until you can isolate your home and filter the air, then stay inside as long as possible and avoid all people and animals.

The simple answer is to get a good mask (Israeli M-15 less than 20 years old - millions of them out there, M-40, or newer mask), a new modern filter (not new surplus filters.) The M-95 filter is the most common new filter with a 40mm NATO thread and has a 15 year shelf life. Get a new or unopened surplus chemical suit, gloves, and boots. Get a pack of M-8 detection paper.

Finally, visit these links:

http://www.ki4u.com/chemical_biological_attack_detection_response.htm

http://www.ki4u.com

#10 ·
maybe liveing in a big city or around industrial complexes a gas mask might be handy some day but think there a waste of money unless you plan on carrying one with you 24/7,you would never know when to put one on with out some kind of warning a head of time that you need to put one on,you have to have a clean shave if your a guy or it wont seal right.

#14 ·
remember to go into the wind or at right or left angle into the wind and not with it when trying to get out of a gassed area.i have seen recruits panic and go with the wind and stay into the gassed area which doesnt do you any good.many gasses you will not know you have been gassed till its to late with out a detection system in place and a gas mask wont do you much good then.

#17 ·
Read manufactures description

I would suggest that you purchase the mask that best fits your face. Also what will you be using the mask with. Will you be wearing it or will you possibly needing to shoot with it on. A single lense mask causes distortion in some cases and thus making your marksmenship with a firearm suffer a bit. Whereas an individual lense mask such as the m-40 will allow you to fire your weapon accurately, the reason why the government issues them to soldiers. But pretty much any mask will work, its capabilities for protection depends greatly upon the filters that are available for it. In any case a gas mask I feel is very essential for a survival situation. Even if it just protects you from tear gas. You never know when you will find yourself in the middle of a civil unrest situation, ie on your way home from work through a city. And if you get caught in the middle of police deploying gas on people you will have that protection at least. But remember gas masks are intended for short use. Long enough for you to escape to a safe zone. Good luck and stay safe

#19 ·
If you will be traveling to Mexico or any Swine flu affected areas do not trust your life to paper masks...

Use the same masks the Officials will be using...

http://www.captaindaves.com/shop/gasmasks.html

Are you Ready?
Hey zo.......y I have seen a few of your posts and it seems you end them with Are you Ready? That is ok with me for I Know what I know, what I have, what I do and how Ready I am. What I would like to know is Are YOU Ready and how are you ready? In this or even in another thread maybe tell us how You are Ready?

If any, especially newbies, have not seen my threads with pics here is the newest one showing How ready I am. I think having a remote survival retreat which has water etc. etc. etc. and a bunker etc. is possibly The best way to be Ready for Anything that may happen.... Talk about a Safe zone! I will live up there possibly permanently beginning in June, maybe even sooner.

Proof of how Ready I am with pics and details > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=52880

I really am not bragging but just sharing and now Proving to zoanthropy and many others, that I Am READY! hopefully for Anything and everything.

About gas masks is that I have had one for over twenty years from an army surplus store. I used a couple times in a dusty shed. Worked ok. I have one more but I don't spend too much money on some things except my mtn land and bunker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.