Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Default "I need $10,000 NOW!" What do I do?

Advertise Here

What if you decided you needed $10,000 right now. You are not prepared. You need $10K to make that happen. You pick a reason, it really does not matter for this scenario. You just need it as soon as you can possibly have it in hand, but for various reasons you have the following restrictions:

1) Nothing illegal.
Being behind bars is not one of your prep checkoff items.

2) Nothing immoral.
You decide why, but there it is.

3) Nothing about the lottery, gambling, or anything that uncertain.

4) A certain amount of risk is allowed, but try to choose something with a high probability of success.

5) It has to be something that we can do. ie, nothing about "performing a heart transplant" or the like.

6) EDITED - ASSUME YOU NEED THE MONEY IN 60 DAYS.

-------

I. What would you do / suggest?

II. What skills or background would someone have to have to be able to pull it off?

III. Convince us you know what you are talking about. If it requires special skills then point us to a source that might show us how to acquire those skills in short order.

Last edited by InnocentBystander; 04-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Edited to add condition #6 "needed in 60 days" - my apologies to authors of the 19 posts who posted before this edit...
Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Peculiar to This World

1. Sell something (or some things) of yours that will get $10,000.

2. Borrow from friends and/or relatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Memphis Weirdo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Target Shooter

Well my first instinct is to say...

Ask congress for a bailout!

Baring that, I'd have to know what "right now" meant. Tonight? Short of illegal things you're not going to get it that fast without borrowing it from a friend or family.

If you have some time (a month or so), there's a few things you can do.

Sell things off that you don't really need. (TV, all cars but one, jewelry)
Work multiple jobs. I have a friend that works in an upscale restaurant that brings home $200 or more in tips a night. Add that to your normal salary...it could add up in a generally short period of time.
Stop paying un-pressing bills. Screws your credit but credit cards *can* wait. So can student loans.
Cut back your random spending. No eating out, rice and beans at home, no new clothes, no cable, no internet, no cell phone, no frills.

I think it's possible but not in a few days, especially if it's more than one person working on it...going to have to bust your butt to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveyDoes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 27,166 Times in 14,227 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Go to the bank, make a withdrawal

From my account,,,, I know what you were thinking
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 AM

Did just what your post asked about. with all the talk about bans and ammo shortages i took a loan out of my 401k. figured half of it was already lost to ???? I now have to pay back $160 a month for 5 years. According to fidelity im "paying it back into my 401k including the interest". gave me 10k to jump start preps. Im 35. still a long way from retirement. Figured 10k now for preps is a "bird in hand" Never know what the future holds. but, i now hold a S&W m&p15.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SWFL-worried For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Hunter

come to britain as an illegal and our soft goverment will give you all you want .
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Peculiar to This World

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam View Post
come to britain as an illegal and our soft goverment will give you all you want .

Good one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Memphis Weirdo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 AM

Am I allowed to wait until Zero's Economic plan kicks in? Because if I do, I will just sell a dozen eggs for 10,000 dollars. That should be fair market value once the truth of what is happening hits. And my chickens will not care a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to killdeer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Conservative

Thanked 1,594 Times in 837 Posts

I'd borrow it from my whole life ins. policy.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,840 Times in 2,808 Posts

Good extra money in spring clean and pool openings ups right now. Rent a tiller, print cards, line up jobs and get to work.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Anarchy: the way to be

Private security contracting...

It'll take a few days of work, but you'll get your $10,000 soon enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to anarcholance For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts

Some people can SAVE $5000/yr just by changing their current lifestyle. For example.. how much is that monthly cable bill costing ya? (not to mention the electric bill for the TV and VCR/DVD and video games) Sack lunches for work, instead of the vending machines. Eliminate phantom wattage in the house. Homemade laundry detergent instead of store bought... and don't forget to have a yard sale of useless items.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Been there...

If you tap a 401K and you lose employment you have to pay tax on what you took out after 90 days.
If it came from a Roth, the contributions are not taxable, only the earnings.
Home equity loan?
Sell an extra vehicle, real estate, electronics or jewelry.
Loan from your employers credit union if your still working?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,933 Times in 12,711 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL-worried View Post
Did just what your post asked about. with all the talk about bans and ammo shortages i took a loan out of my 401k. figured half of it was already lost to ???? I now have to pay back $160 a month for 5 years. According to fidelity im "paying it back into my 401k including the interest". gave me 10k to jump start preps. Im 35. still a long way from retirement. Figured 10k now for preps is a "bird in hand" Never know what the future holds. but, i now hold a S&W m&p15.
I went a step farther. After losing nearly $10,000 of my 401K money (thanks George and Barack), I close the account and took what I had left and used it for real, tangible items. Paper cash sitting in a totally vulnerable "bank" account seemed silly.

Buy a metal detector or some mining tools and search for gold. There's gold in them, thar hills.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,466 Times in 4,227 Posts

I have decided to try teaching some of my secret Kung Fu/Chinese healing skills on DVD.

I need to get the marketing right, but once that is tuned in, I am sure this will net me some cash.

http://ultimateturnon.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Ready for the big "push"

Thanked 1,513 Times in 583 Posts

Apply for a bailout from the federal gov'mint. Of course you would have to put a few more zero's on the amount you wanted to be taken seriously!

You could be the First Bank of Preppers.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDoes View Post
Sell things off that you don't really need. (TV, all cars but one, jewelry)
Work multiple jobs. I have a friend that works in an upscale restaurant that brings home $200 or more in tips a night. Add that to your normal salary...it could add up in a generally short period of time.
Stop paying un-pressing bills. Screws your credit but credit cards *can* wait. So can student loans.
Cut back your random spending. No eating out, rice and beans at home, no new clothes, no cable, no internet, no cell phone, no frills.

I think it's possible but not in a few days, especially if it's more than one person working on it...going to have to bust your butt to do it.
Sounds like someone listens to Dave Ramsey

And I agree, unless you've got relatives with money or don't mind breaking the law, this is the only way to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupowar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,482 Times in 2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
What if you decided you needed $10,000 right now. You are not prepared. You need $10K to make that happen. You pick a reason, it really does not matter for this scenario. You just need it as soon as you can possibly have it in hand, but for various reasons you have the following restrictions:

1) Nothing illegal.
Being behind bars is not one of your prep checkoff items.

2) Nothing immoral.
You decide why, but there it is.

3) Nothing about the lottery, gambling, or anything that uncertain.

4) A certain amount of risk is allowed, but try to choose something with a high probability of success.

5) It has to be something that we can do. ie, nothing about "performing a heart transplant" or the like.

-------

I. What would you do / suggest?

II. What skills or background would someone have to have to be able to pull it off?

III. Convince us you know what you are talking about. If it requires special skills then point us to a source that might show us how to acquire those skills in short order.
stop and think a sec about your question. if your question was possable they would be multi millionairs by now. think about it if you can make 10k over night, why not do it for 3-6 months and retire.

the only way legally to get 10k over night would be to borrow it. you might sell something but you have to already have a buyer to get the 10k NOW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,466 Times in 4,227 Posts

It is possible trading the futures markets, BUT you would need a good $10,000 to start with, AND the markets woulds have to be right as well, **AND** you would have to be a successful professional trader, or at least know and have mastered the methods before hand. If you don't, you are looking at a 3 to 5 year learning curve before you could place a trade that does that well, that fast.

That is all I can really think of. All the other workable suggestions rely on having $10,000.00 tied up somewhere in advance (IE 401K's, home equity and such).

Even to use illegal means would not be easy. Say you decide to sell drugs for instance, if you don't already have a network of customers, relations with good suppliers, and a means to transport, that won't work either.

One might try robbing a bank, however, unless you are a career criminal with exceptional experience, you are not likely to pull it off. Same goes for conducting home invasions and robbing jewelry or robbing jewelry stores. You would need extensive time doing recon before you could actually do the job.

I can not think of a way to make $10,000.00 over night if you don't allready have it stashed somewhere, or have layed extensive ground work ahead of time, in which case, it's not over night anyway.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Savage intellectual

Thanked 1,470 Times in 721 Posts

Sell a kidney.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaserCool For This Useful Post: