Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 AM

Default Survivalist Paradise

Advertise Here

Design the Dream Survivalist Home/Paradise

Im currently in the process of designing/researching our home to be built within the next 2 years. I am looking for any and all input/advice, so please throw it out there.

What should I be considering and looking into? Everything from kitchen and greenhouse design to power and water.

All advice will be greatly appreciated!

If you had a blank slate, what would you do?

Last edited by DangerKrue; 04-15-2009 at 12:52 AM..
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,030 Times in 798 Posts

Machine gun turrets.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 AM

My dream home would be as off-the-grid as possible. Solar panels, geothermal heating, harvesting rainwater and wind, my own garden, in an area where I can hunt and fish, and in a state that is not Kalifornia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bohica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Stuck in the City...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
My dream home would be as off-the-grid as possible. Solar panels, geothermal heating, harvesting rainwater and wind, my own garden, in an area where I can hunt and fish, and in a state that is not Kalifornia.

i would have to Agree
Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,164 Posts

One of those cave homes would be nice
Old 04-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,112 Times in 3,391 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Here is one that I would like to have IF I had plenty of $ - from another recent thread > http://www.survivalproperty.com/secure_home.htm

But I do with what I have, (which I know is not fancy or expensive) shown here with pics >
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=42447
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Here is one that I would like to have IF I had plenty of $ - from another recent thread > http://www.survivalproperty.com/secure_home.htm
Haha it's the Shire. They stole the Hobbits technology!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryok1n For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 02:23 AM
Anarchy: the way to be

Well with back up manual pumps.

Secondary structure hidden in forest on property... BOL! I saw a cool tree house design that was a few hundred square feet and cost only a few thausand to build, would be easily defendable from zombies but easy to spot.

Long driveway, and lots of open area around the main home, more time to shoot/run from zombies or mobs of the unprepared.

Just a few suggestions.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Conservative

Thanked 1,592 Times in 836 Posts

What type of climate will you be building in? If you will be in an area that has cold winters I would recommend a back up heat source like a wood or coal stove. As far as construction, look into ICF's (insulated concrete forms), I have used the AARX in the past with good results http://www.arxxbuild.com cool in the summer and warm in the winter, nearly hurricane proof.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 PM

I have been thinking about designing my ultimate home too. It would be very similar to the Bear's Den (posted by Mtnmn Mike above). As Bohica mentioned above, I would also like for it to be as self-sustaining as possible. But I also have a fortress mentality. A couple of special features that I would want would be bullet proof windows and vault type doors. I also want a rolling steel door that closes down over the entire front entry (similar to storage facilities) for when I am off property, a hidden passage to a couple of secret rooms and a secret rear exit door. Pure fantasy.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Target Shooter

Gotta go earth shelter home that can be completely ran off the grid! just like the link to the one in this thread. You get the best of everything! fallout shelter, build in!
If I had the money I'd be building right now! or just buy the one posted it's perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to JWJ78 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,145 Times in 498 Posts

This is what I would like to do. Buy land on a south facing hillside. It will be cheaper than flat land. Carve a shelf out of the hillside and build a concrete shell and cover it with dirt. Build the shell tall enough to allow space above and below a wooden structure. that way, it wont matter if there is a moisture problem as it will run out the front in the crawl space. Anyway, there would be support columns in the front to help hold up the roof. Between the columns would be the roll up style garage doors. At the push of a button, you could close off the front of the house completely.
Since the house faces south, the concrete overhang is the correct depth to allow the winter sun to enter the window. As the sun angle changes for summer, the overhang shades the windows.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:49 AM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,425 Posts

This place of Cody Lundin has got to clinch it.
The Following User Says Thank You to the hog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,046 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
My sister-in-law has all that and is in Northern Kalifornia - community of 60 or so homes - all off the grid. Each home is on 40-60 acres. Love visiting them.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,056 Times in 1,255 Posts

75% of the home would be 4'+ underground with tunnels leading out in several directions to the property lines (or further if I thought I could get away with it.)

There would be a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom on the "exposed" part of the house, so that it looked normal from the outside and inside to normal visitors. There would be bedrooms, bathrooms, storage, decon room, equipment room (A/C, water pumps, air supply, composting system, batteries, tools, spare parts, etc,) safe room, growing room, second living room, second kitchen, and other parts of the home all underground.

Solar, wind, and water power supplies with two back-up generators, plenty of space to grow a garden, plenty of ground water to irrigate/drink, and a water reclamation system.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Target Shooter

I built my home in the texas hill country a few years ago and went through the same process as you, I am lucky in that my father is a architect and was able to help with much of the process.
The home was built using earth bag construction, this is advantageous for two main reasons.

1. Very high level of insulation, the house keeps cool even on the hottest texas days with little to no AC use. (used additional passive cooling methods in the construction as well) also keeps warm with little or no heat during the winter
2. As the house is basically a sandbag bunker with some concrete over it, it is highly fire and bullet resistant. (we built a test wall and shot it up with every caliber me or my friends had and it stopped every round)

As I am away from my house 6 months out of the year I built the house specifically to make it very very hard to break into. The house is basically a U shaped building built around a central courtyard, There are no exterior entrances to the home. to enter the house proper you must get through the heavy steel courtyard gate and then through the front door. Exterior windows are mounted high and are too small for someone to climb through but provide excellent firing positions. (The courtyard has large windows that provide most of the sunlight into the house)

For power we have a 2000 watt solar system that provides 90% of our power needs, grid tie is setup as a backup. The largest power bill I ever got was $48
Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Anarchy: the way to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratamiss View Post
I built my home in the texas hill country a few years ago and went through the same process as you, I am lucky in that my father is a architect and was able to help with much of the process.
The home was built using earth bag construction, this is advantageous for two main reasons.

1. Very high level of insulation, the house keeps cool even on the hottest texas days with little to no AC use. (used additional passive cooling methods in the construction as well) also keeps warm with little or no heat during the winter
2. As the house is basically a sandbag bunker with some concrete over it, it is highly fire and bullet resistant. (we built a test wall and shot it up with every caliber me or my friends had and it stopped every round)

As I am away from my house 6 months out of the year I built the house specifically to make it very very hard to break into. The house is basically a U shaped building built around a central courtyard, There are no exterior entrances to the home. to enter the house proper you must get through the heavy steel courtyard gate and then through the front door. Exterior windows are mounted high and are too small for someone to climb through but provide excellent firing positions. (The courtyard has large windows that provide most of the sunlight into the house)

For power we have a 2000 watt solar system that provides 90% of our power needs, grid tie is setup as a backup. The largest power bill I ever got was $48
WOW!!! Where do I get one?

Out of curiosity how much did it all cost?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcholance View Post
WOW!!! Where do I get one?

Out of curiosity how much did it all cost?

Most people dont believe me but, The whole thing including the building, cabinents, solar, appliances, etc was about 105k, for 2 bedrooms + a large office - 1900 sq feet total.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Will let you beg for food

Thanked 1,550 Times in 399 Posts

as a female my dream place would have four separate storage areas as not to clutter up the living space. one would be for food storage and other kitchen/cooking needs, one would be for a huge family closet, bedding, pillows..all soft goods, another would be a smallish space for craft items and teaching supplies - maybe even double as a classroom and finally i would like a big room with lots of shelves and workspace for tools, gardening supplies etc.

it would make life easier as i would have a place for everything, know what i have on hand and give me a place to do the work
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Hunter

there was this german guy near here in the country who built a cement round house that had 3 floors ,the bottom floor had only one steel door to enter windows for the next floor were way out of reach for anybody unless they had a long ladder third floor had a belcony that ran around the whole house you could sit or walk around ,only one way in and he could see anyone comeing from way off,never got inside to look on how he had it setup thou.he was a little pairanoid of outsiders and kept to them selfs and that was a long time ago.i have seen a old huge oil tank along a barge canel that ships off load into that a motorcycle club bought when it got to old for holding oil and they tuned it into quite a place inside solid steel even the door way in ,you would need a cutting torch to cut your way inside,also seen farm silos turned into places to live and stay.