Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Default Traveling with a firearm in California

Advertise Here

I know the general rules, I personally keep the guns unloaded and individually locked in the trunk with ammo in a locked box in the back seat. Now heres the kicker: My grandparents do quite a bit of traveling in their motor home...how is that defined? My grandpa keeps a revolver loaded usually in one of the cabinets behind his seat. If the motor home is moving, can it be loaded? Would it technically be considered their dwelling or only when they are stopped? They often go through some pretty remote areas and my grandpa has even considered wearing it in a holster on his hip (unloaded) with speed loaders on his other hip. Is this legal? I'm assuming not, but I cant seem to find anything. I'm assuming that the motor home would be considered a car regardless, unless its stopped then its their residence and he can carry however he wants. Anybody have any input? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Hiker

I would not take any chances in California. The laws in CA are screwed up with lots of gray areas. To be 100% legal the ammo should be in a box in a different location with a lock and keep the gun in a box with lock in a different location. Now being that your grandfather is traveling with your grandmother, if they do get pulled over I doubt the cops would hassle them much. The cops may let them slide if they found at least the gun in a locked box.
The Following User Says Thank You to nullzero For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,744 Times in 2,366 Posts

This would be a grey area in CA.
If you want it loaded, put it in a dark hole in the motor-home.
Somewhere that it's handy, yet not easy to find during a cursory search.
They do have checkpoint in CA.... especially along the border areas (100 miles).
And they do search vehicles.

T
The Following User Says Thank You to TAKEZO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Unseen

MY question (and I assume he is not) is your grandfather a resident of CA? If he is, he should get his CCW, then he is legal to carry loaded in CA. If he is not a resident, then the same rules apply as any other vehicle on the road int he state. While ont he road, it is not a residence, it is a vehicle. Here are the laws on traveling with firearms in CA
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

have him get a HD shotgun mounted near the drivers seat, and keep ammo handy. Shotguns do not have to be locked up, and neither does ammunition. The gun just simply can't be loaded while driving.

Here is the homepage of that section...
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/
The Following User Says Thank You to InIt2Live For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,025 Times in 3,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InIt2Live View Post
MY question (and I assume he is not) is your grandfather a resident of CA? If he is, he should get his CCW, then he is legal to carry loaded in CA. If he is not a resident, then the same rules apply as any other vehicle on the road int he state. While ont he road, it is not a residence, it is a vehicle. Here are the laws on traveling with firearms in CA
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

have him get a HD shotgun mounted near the drivers seat, and keep ammo handy. Shotguns do not have to be locked up, and neither does ammunition. The gun just simply can't be loaded while driving.

Here is the homepage of that section...
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/
Yeah, No.

So here's the lowdown.
I have an RV and you are registered as what Cali calls a "house car".
Basically it is a residence, even on the road.
DO NOT rely on the Cali DOJ website.
They are notorious for posting yeah this is legal only to have the counties ignore them and jerk you into court anyway.
Preemption is sort of a dirty word in Kali.

OUT OF STATE CCW are NOT honored in Kalifornia.
There is no reciprocity.
I was CCW in Nevada and Utah......not legal in Kali.
That was years ago before mass reciprocity but nothing has changed here.
Go to calguns.net for better working info or hit the california rifle and pistol assn who have lawyers who look at this stuff all the time.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Unseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Buck View Post
Yeah, No.

So here's the lowdown.
I have an RV and you are registered as what Cali calls a "house car".
Basically it is a residence, even on the road.
DO NOT rely on the Cali DOJ website.
They are notorious for posting yeah this is legal only to have the counties ignore them and jerk you into court anyway.
Preemption is sort of a dirty word in Kali.

OUT OF STATE CCW are NOT honored in Kalifornia.
There is no reciprocity.
I was CCW in Nevada and Utah......not legal in Kali.
That was years ago before mass reciprocity but nothing has changed here.
Go to calguns.net for better working info or hit the california rifle and pistol assn who have lawyers who look at this stuff all the time.
So you are telling me I am wrong, but have no proof of that? Do you have links to any info that makes your all knowing mind correct? I lived in California for 25 years, I am fairly familiar with the laws there. When on the road, the RV must follow the same rules as the rest of the vehicles on the road, hence why it still has things such as a license plate and registration stickers, SMOG certs (unless diesel, or newer than 6yrs, older than 30) It might be called a rolling residence, but IT IS still subject to the same rules on the road, regaurding firearms transportation!
If you are unsure about the laws stated by the DOJ (which, heck why should they know what they are talking about right?) Than keep a copy of that info with you when traveling with firearms. When questioned on why you are doing things the way you are, pull it out! I have had run in with LEO's, Fish and Game, DNR, just about everyone who upholds laws, and have been questioned on my ways. When I produce the black and white reasoning given by the makers of the law, it has changed would be tickets into "Thank you sir, have a nice day, and thanks for the info!"

Last edited by InIt2Live; 04-13-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InIt2Live View Post
So you are telling me I am wrong, but have no proof of that?
First yes you are wrong.
I could not care on tiny fractional little bit less where you say you used to live I have lived here most of my 40 years and am involved with the calguns association and CRPA (you know, the website and in state Cali specific gun rights organization I mentioned, I am not digging up links after endless links, he can do his own research) and know for a fact that your out of state CCW will NOT keep you out of jail anywhere in California.
You wanna come try, I would be happy to introduce you to some cops that would be most joyous at jailing you for exercising your rights.
I was also a dealership sales manager here for several years and am familiar with the registration codes as well as up until it got to expensive spent a great deal of time traveling here and other states by RV.
I also gave NO specifics about the legality of gun carry in California concerning RVs.....why?
Because of exactly what I said about the DOJ and it's amazing ambiguity.
Go ahead, call and ask CALI DOJ about the firearms code for an RV on or off the raod, better yet call a couple times and see how many different answers you get.
Before he got fired last April for not being vague enough(and shooting a hole in his desk) I had regular interactions with Ignatious Chinn over at BoF concerning clarifying gun laws.
And I don't recall you being invovled in those talks......
Notice I didn't say how to carry a gun in the RV?
Did you not see that?
With Cali DoJ there are no clear answers.
Go look up Gene Hoffman and Bill Weise at calguns and ask them to tell you about getting straight answers out of DoJ about ANYTHING even laws that look cut and dry.
It's rare as hens teeth until a Judge clarifies and even then DoJ can yank it's collective head out long enough to acknowledge the rulings correctly.
See I have a problem with giving advice where there isn't a clear answer.
You seem to like to pass off advice the WILL get someone arrested.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Survivor

So SgtBooker, I see you thanked him.
Come tell us as a California LEO what would happen......without equivocation throughout the state if Gramps has an Oregon CCW and is tooling through Kern County in the Winnie with his pistol:
1 ) unloaded on his hip
Or
Loaded sittin on the couch ten feet away.

Then tell me you stop him Terry style on the street coming out oh Mickey D's and he's packing with that Utah permit.....whats ya gonna do?

Then tell me what the DA will do with it.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Unseen

Deleted.....

Last edited by InIt2Live; 04-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: misunderstanding
Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Survivor

Actually I re-read what you said and I owe you an apology.
I misread what you stated about residency.
I thought you implied that if he was not a resident an out of state CCW would cover him.
You are correct an instate cali CCW would cover all aspects as spelled out in the permit.
My apologies to all concerned.
I was wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Buck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Unseen

Then I will retract my words towards you as well, I am sorry I was not more clear. Thank you for being a man about it.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Survivor

No, you were clear enough my vision is just stupid.
And thanks for the retraction.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM

Maybe everyone over 18 or 21 should be required to carry a gun in public.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Culturally Biased

If they have to go into Commiefornia at least they should stay clear of any major cities, esp near Gangland.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 AM

Thanks to all for the input. I think he's pretty intent upon carrying some sort of self defense weapon with them at all times. They're getting older (80's) and could be considered easy targets. They've got a couple canisters of pepper spray (I think this would be best for my grandma) throughout the motor home and the pistol. So I'll let him know then to just keep it way out of site unless they're stopped for the evening. They usually make it a point to stop in the best area possible, but sometimes they are pretty remote. I'll suggest the shotgun to him as well for the bedroom in the back. Now here's another one of those "gray area" questions. If he gets a shotgun and mounts a shell holder, can he keep it unloaded with shells on the side of the firearm? Technically it isn't loaded and the DOJ website says thats all that is required. I have a feeling that this too would be a problem, but I'm sure all you guys will let me know! Thanks again!

Btw, someone asked if they were residents of Kali, they are and do a bit of driving all up and down the state and sometimes further out towards Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc.

Last edited by swsccassidy; 04-14-2009 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Forgot somethin!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Survivor

I think the shell holder might present a problem.
I know speed loaders and stripper clips are considered loaded magazines for sure by DOJ.

I have to wonder how much searching an LEO wants to do in an RV owned and operated by someone that elderly.
I got boarded several times by Rangers and Immigration types here and in Arizona near the border. But then again I might look nefarious and I tend to talk to people in person like I do online.
I just didn't keep my weapons loaded in California when on the road.
The national parks are another situation altogether as well.
AZ no problems. I think you can tool around with a loaded gun between your teeth there still.
Here in PRK, serious gray area.
A suggestion, I carry a double barrel shotgun in mine.
Takes about half a tick to load and unload.
Looking down those dark snouts is an incentive to behave too..... believe me.
Not that I'm saying drive around loaded all the time. Just whatever discretion suits them.

I still strongly suggest you hit calguns.net and post these questions there.
Bill and Gene are far more apt to be able to answer all you questions and answer them accurately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Buck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks Brother Buck, I'll check that site out. The more info I'm getting the more I think a shotgun would be a better option when traveling. A side by side is easy to load as you said and packs a little more punch. I'll check out calguns and let you guys know what the final consensus is in case anyone in interested. Thanks again guys!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,454 Times in 981 Posts

People that target old people bug me.. pick on someone who can defend them self at least.. and most retired people are liveing on a fixed income as well so they dont have money to spare if you do steal it... thats why it bugs me so much when people take advantage of people.. even there have been case were older people were dumped out of there motor scooter and robbed and people just walk by and dont help.. If I was there id try to kick that guys ass...
The Following User Says Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 AM

Amen to that...I think that its downright disgusting what some people will do for a few bucks. My grandparents, as well as millions of others, went through the great depression, a couple of wars, and some pretty scary crap all together. They've got so much to teach us and often we take it for granted. They've made it through so much, more than I can comprehend, and to think that they could be gone over something as stupid as a few dollars...makes me angry