Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Anarchy: the way to be

Default Saddle bags for dogs

Advertise Here

I am still pretty new to this, and I am working on my BOB (workable now, but I could use a few more things) and I realized tonight that I didn't pack any supplies for Gabriella my dog. I checked out the internet for a good set of saddle bags for her so that she can carry her own supplies (and so I won't be weighed down if say she doesn't bug out with me) but I can't really tell if any are of good enough quality. Does anyone have any experiance with saddle bags that could recommend ones to check out or avoid?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anarcholance For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 AM
+ULFBER+T

We used a saddleback for one of our dogs so he could carry his own food. It was several years ago and I'm not sure what brand it was. I can tell you to be careful that you saddle him/her up correctly so the weight is located properly... I would also keep the pack as light as possible. The bag itself should come with guidelines on how to mount it. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 AM

You left out a few pieces of information on Gabriel. first off is Gabriel a working breed? If so, how large is Gabriel. Also do you have the necessary first aid Items for Gabriel? And how old is Gabriel.

A very large dog IE 80 to 100 lbs should not have more than 30 lbs of weight. And less would be much better.

You had better be adding some "Tuf Foot" into your supplies or booties. You carry mole skin for your feet, and the dogs feet need the same care and concern as humans. Remember dogs have soft pads not hooves. They get cut, bruised and worn.

Most of the packs for large dogs will do. it will take you some practice and experimenting to get the right fit. Generally my lab carries his own food and a protion of his water. Putting the pack on them really calms them down also. Almost keeps the lab from exploring every smell.

first aid items for dogs that I take is

as mentioned "Tuf Foot" http://www.tuffoot.com/

Blu-Kote http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

Dog Asprin http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?c=3307+12891

Dogs like people need conditioning. So give your dog plenty of exercise and have him carry a load before you go for a week long trip.

having a dog along is not only comforting, but they can hear and smell things that people are oblivious to.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to killdeer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryman View Post
We used a saddleback for one of our dogs so he could carry his own food. It was several years ago and I'm not sure what brand it was. I can tell you to be careful that you saddle him/her up correctly so the weight is located properly... I would also keep the pack as light as possible. The bag itself should come with guidelines on how to mount it. Good luck.
I wish she could carry as much weight as me but she's a rat terrier and only weighs about 12 pounds. I figured I would keep an equal amount of water on each side for equal weight and two small bowls. Anything else needed to take care of her (nail clippers, toothbrush ect...) I can carry in my BOB if it's to heavy for her.

Is that mostly what they want you to do with them, equal weight distribution? I keep my pack pretty balanced so I understand how not doing it can really hurt your back.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 AM
+ULFBER+T

Balance is important but also the location front to back. You don't want it too far forward on their neck or too far down their back... I believe the shoulder area or right behind the shoulder area is the best load bearing location (don't take this as fact, it's been a while and I might be wrong).

Be careful loading up a dog that small. Again, there are guidelines out there on recommended weights.

Putting a pack on a rat terrier? The mental picture is cracking me up.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryman View Post
Balance is important but also the location front to back. You don't want it too far forward on their neck or too far down their back... I believe the shoulder area or right behind the shoulder area is the best load bearing location (don't take this as fact, it's been a while and I might be wrong).

Be careful loading up a dog that small. Again, there are guidelines out there on recommended weights.

Putting a pack on a rat terrier? The mental picture is cracking me up.
I've found a few packs for small dogs like Gabbi. I would carry her gear in my bag but it already weighs about 50 pounds. I figure she should be able to carry a three day supply of water (a liter maybe) and two small plastic cups to use for her food and water. All together that shouldn't weigh more than a few pounds.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdeer View Post
You left out a few pieces of information on Gabriel. first off is Gabriel a working breed? If so, how large is Gabriel. Also do you have the necessary first aid Items for Gabriel? And how old is Gabriel.

A very large dog IE 80 to 100 lbs should not have more than 30 lbs of weight. And less would be much better.

You had better be adding some "Tuf Foot" into your supplies or booties. You carry mole skin for your feet, and the dogs feet need the same care and concern as humans. Remember dogs have soft pads not hooves. They get cut, bruised and worn.

Most of the packs for large dogs will do. it will take you some practice and experimenting to get the right fit. Generally my lab carries his own food and a protion of his water. Putting the pack on them really calms them down also. Almost keeps the lab from exploring every smell.

first aid items for dogs that I take is

as mentioned "Tuf Foot" http://www.tuffoot.com/

Blu-Kote http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

Dog Asprin http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?c=3307+12891

Dogs like people need conditioning. So give your dog plenty of exercise and have him carry a load before you go for a week long trip.

having a dog along is not only comforting, but they can hear and smell things that people are oblivious to.
I totally didn't see your post until just now, She weighs 12 pounds! I don't think she'll be able to carry much but every pound she carries (I think with training I would feel comfortable with her carrying 3-4 pounds (that would make our load to weight ration the same)) is one less pound I have to carry for her.

She is 2 1/2 years old, and is pretty active. She doesn't have any load bearing experience so I figured I would start by just walking her with the pack on and getting her used to it, then adding a little weight at a time to get her used to wearing it loaded. And every once in a while I figured I would leave it on all day for a few days so that she is used to not taking it off in case of a bug out.

She would make a great guard dog, but she is kind of an alarmist barker so stealth will be cut down. I know it sounds cruel but I was thinking about getting a muzzle for her for a bug out while we are sleeping so she doesn't alert a would be mob/looter to out location.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,823 Times in 3,566 Posts

a travois would allow you to pack the dogs weight,
saddlebags are limited to roughly 25% of dogs weight
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mongoose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Here's some pictures of her I just snapped so you all can see what we're working with here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00225.jpg   IMG00224.jpg  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
a travois would allow you to pack the dogs weight,
saddlebags are limited to roughly 25% of dogs weight
Not a bad idea at all. Do you think I could make one with wheels to make it a little easier/ faster for her? I am thinking if we need to do any great walking it would be in the city, once we left the city I would break the wheels off.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
seek, locate, evaluate

Well, I am sure you can tell by my graphic what my bias is... I would think that with such a small critter, it might not be worth the hassle bothering with a saddle bag. As for the muzzle, it will stop a full bark from being trumpeted but sounds will still emit from your dog's mouth regardless. E collar training to inhibit your dog from making noise would make more sense. Eventually, just placing that special collar on your dog will give the message.

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
CHEERS :p

Thanked 1,789 Times in 753 Posts

I have a Rotti and he is pretty big....145 lbs

he has his own saddle bags that are made by a company called "outward hound".
I also have 2 clapsable bowls that are made of a tough pliable waterproof canavas for his food and water.

He has carried 6 liters of milk in his saddle bags one time from the store..

I took him hiking a few years ago and he carried his food , distributed on both sides as well as water on both sides, total weight "if I recall correctly was 12 pounds.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 3,014 Times in 909 Posts

Mountainsmith makes the best dog packs available in my opinion. I have one for my 85 lb pitbull. You can load the damned thing full of bricks and I don't think she would notice. The main thing is to make sure the straps do not rub the dog raw.

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/MTSD...=22-10802457-2
Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM

im really a fan of these packs. My dog loves hers and i know alot of dog people who are big fans
p.s. a dog should only carry 1/3 of there weight

http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack?sc=2&category=13

this dogs looks like the size of yours, heres a vid of her and the ruffwear pack

Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 PM

What I understand you should only pack at the very most 20% of the dogs weight in a pack. So that is about 2lbs not alot of food or water. And 2lb is not alot off of your back. If it is a 1/3 it would be 4lbs still not much.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane87 View Post
What I understand you should only pack at the very most 20% of the dogs weight in a pack. So that is about 2lbs not alot of food or water. And 2lb is not alot off of your back. If it is a 1/3 it would be 4lbs still not much.
It's really not that much more water, but I do life in the desert and water is life so I would like to carry as much as possible.

I found her a pack that works pretty well, it's a little small but any larger looks like it would move the weight to her back not her shoulders. It can hold a liter of water and a few treats. It's an Outward Hound, the quality looks good but the handle to lift her by doesn't work at all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00227.jpg   IMG00230.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,770 Times in 870 Posts
Default Small Dog Saddlebag links

The first two link are small dog specific though you may find something in the others links

XX-Small Ruff Wea Pack II Multi-day Dog Pack

Ruff Wear Palisades Pack Hydration Dog Pack

Gun Dog Saddle bags

Service Dog Saddle Bag with Pockets

Hooligan Gear dog pack

Wolf Packs Saddle Bag

Stansport Saddle Bags For Dog

Kelty Chuckwagon - Dog Saddle Bag

You may also be interested in How To Buy A Dog Pack

Last edited by LongRider; 04-11-2009 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Add How To Buy A Dog Pack Link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,790 Posts

You might need to check with your local legal system. Some countries dont allow dogs to pull or carry anything, depending on the bread. Iv known the large breeds, such as Saint Bernards etc to be allowed but Im not sure about Jack Russells.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Hiker,Tracker,Hunter

I use the Ruffwear Palisades pack for my golden retriever he is able to carry about 20-25 lbs in the summer. Also the saddle bags are clipped on to a seperate harness so you can take them off easily when you break.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Palisades-Pack?sc=2&category=13
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I love this forum

I have a 100 pound spanish alano with saddlebags that can carry supplies for all of our dogs. Sure he can carry 20 pound.