Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Prepared

Default 5 gallon bucket gardening

Advertise Here

I am considering growing some veges in a 5 gallon bucket this summer. I was wondering if 1 cherry tomato, 1 bush pole bean, and 1 pepper plant would be too much to plant in a 5 gallon bucket???? This is my 1st year growing veges and I am considering a self watering system that uses 2 buckets and a wick. I travel a lot for my job and can tend them only 1 time a week.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Prepared

I am going to make some of those self watering 5 gallon buckets. But I was planning on planting one plant in each. I think three would be pushing it a little too much.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Hiker

I make my own self watering 5 gal buckets. What I found that works is this;

per 5 gal bucket
*1 tomato
*3 corn
*6-8 carrots
*2-3 peppers
*1 cucumber/melon
*2-3 leafy greens per bucket
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Hiker

Btw for those who are looking for easy instructions to make a self watering bucket;

For one self watering bucket;

Items
*2 x 5 gal Buckets
*1 small plastic paint mixer cup
*4 strong zip ties
*1 2ft piece of old or new hose or non toxic pipe of some sort.

Tools
*jigsaw
*drill

How to make

*Cut out circle the size of paint cup in one of the 5gal buckets (bucket number 1).

*Drill many holes all around on bottom of bucket number 1.

*Drill many small holes into paint cup on all sides and top of cup for zip ties.

*Drill a large enough hole on one side of bucket 1 to fit a hose through.

*Measure the paint cup and mark the length on the side of bucket number 2.

*Drill 1 hole on each side of bucket number 2 slightly below the marking (this is to release excess water from reserve, make sure there is a small gap of space from the drill hole and bucket 1)

*Zip tie paint cup to bucket with big hole cutout. Put this bucket inside bucket number 2.

*Take extra plastic from cutout to jam in between both buckets to make bucket number 1 stuck in 2. Squeeze 2ft of hose through the large drilled hole to fit in place.

Fill with soil and plant .

Last edited by nullzero; 04-05-2009 at 10:56 PM..
Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,213 Times in 1,566 Posts

Can you guys share your knowledge about self watering buckets?

EDITED TO ADD>>>>>

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM

I am a first time gardner. Will definately have to try the 5 gallon bucket method out do to my location. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Prepared

Default here is a link

from what i have heard you can plant a lot in one 5 gallon bucket. The self watering system looks good. Seems like you would not lose all of your soils nutrients as fast
The Following User Says Thank You to 2 x C For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Prepared

This link has a ton of ways to make self watering containers, not just with buckets.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Prepared

Oh and Homegrown Evolution just put this post up.
http://www.homegrownevolution.com/20...resources.html
Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 x C View Post
I am considering growing some veges in a 5 gallon bucket this summer. I was wondering if 1 cherry tomato, 1 bush pole bean, and 1 pepper plant would be too much to plant in a 5 gallon bucket???? This is my 1st year growing veges and I am considering a self watering system that uses 2 buckets and a wick. I travel a lot for my job and can tend them only 1 time a week.

A five gallon bucket is the minimun size you can grow an heirloom tomato plant in. You will need to water it a great deal though, even with a self watering bucket set up. We do grow them this was in our community garden but on hot, dry days they sometime need to be watered twice a day. There are hybrid tomatoes that are determinate (only grow to a certain size) that can grow nicely in a five gallon bucket without needing watering every day.

I would stick with bush beans instead of pole beans just because, again they only grow so big and so don't need as much water or space. We grow 3 - 4 bush beans in a planter that is the same size as a five gallon bucket but not as deep. It has more surface space.

Pepper plants I don't know a whole bunch about as I don't like them, but I'll ask at the community center tomorrow night. The little ornamental peppers can grow in a five gallon bucket quite easily but the big sweet peppers I just don't know.

You certainly don't want to put all these plants into one five gallon bucket though. If they don't get crowed out you will need to be watering them every couple of hours. The tomatoes and peppers are water hogs and the fruit will crack and rot if they don't get enough water.