Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM

Default Accurizing the Mini 14

Advertise Here

Several low priced ways to make your mini more accurate.
Make a home made barrel strut. I have an older model with the skinny barrel. The range I shoot at only has an 80 yard range, so all testing was done at 80 yards. Putting the home made strut cut my groups for 4" to less than 1.5".
To make the strut, order two UTG Barrel Tri Rail Mount #2 from www.Cheaperthandirt.com. They cost $9.95 each.
Next get a piece of 9/16" or 5/8" steel or aluminum rod. Cut the rod to 5" long. Mount the rear mount right up against the gas block on the barrel. Mount the front mount just in front of the step in the barrel (if yours has a step). Next, lay in the 5" rod with the one end tight against the gas block and tighten everything down with a little blue thread locker. This stiffens the barrel and keeps the barrel much cooler as the aluminum mounts act as heat sinks and stop the stringing when the barrel heats up. The strut goes underneath the barrel. Cheaperthandirt as well as several other sources sells the Mason muzzle brake for about $20.00. The brake also helps accuracy. Make sure it is centered with the bore. It is slip on brake that uses the front sight pin to hold it on. I had to drill and tap a hole and put a screw on the bottom rear part of the brake because the brake was pivoting on the roll pin. I also had to put thin shims under the brake on top of either side of the front sight to get the brake concentric with the bore.
I then bedded the action into the stock using "Steel Bed" from www.brownells.com. Bedding the mini is much like bedding a M1 Garand rifle. It's a little detailed to exlplain here, but you can buy a book on the M1 Garand from the NRA for about $5.00 that explains the bedding very close to what is necessary with the Mini 14.
Before bedding, grind metal away from the front band of the heat shield at the gas block to free float the barrel. I ended up having to remove the front metal band and then used bedding compound to strengthen the front part of the stock. The gas block then needs to be perfectly aligned so there is the same exact distance between the two halves when tightened down. The gas block screws are staked in, so they may require a little force to break loose. The screws should be evenly tightened to 30 INCH pounds.
I also made a new gas bushing with a smaller hole. The stock bushing has a hole that measures .080" which is far too big. You can buy bushings with a smaller hole commercially. The smaller bushing doesn't help the accuracy much, but keeps wear down on the firearm and keeps the brass from being throw to the other side of the world.
The last thing I did was to do a trigger job and install a trigger over travel screw.
After all the modifications, the best 3 shot group at 80 yards was .374" and 5 shot group was .764" which is a major improvement. This was shot with hand loads which were not quite as accurate as the factory 55 grn. ammo.
If you have any questions about the above modifications, feel free to ask.
Now if the wind would stop blowing for just one day, I can go out with some factory ammo and possibly get a little tighter groups. I want to try for a 10 shot group under 1" AT 100 YARDS.

Best regards, John K

Last edited by dksac2; 04-02-2009 at 10:55 PM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dksac2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,682 Posts

Sell it and get a AR-15 would be cheap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Why must someone always tell me to sell my mini and get an AR. I bought the Mini 14 for $200.00 and have maybe another $75. invested. For $275.00, I have a weapon that will outshoot, outlast and is more reliable than any stock AR.
If you would like me to have an AR, BY ALL MEANS BUY ME ONE. The prices people are getting for them is unbelievable. The AR's are great weapons, but there are others out there to. I'll gladly add the AR to my other weapons and will enjoy shooting it, just PM me and I'll tell you where to send it.
Otherwise, go to AR-15.com and slobber like the rest of them. I did not write the piece about an AR or disrespect the AR in any way. It was titled Increasing accuracy of your Mini 14.

Best regards, John K
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksac2 View Post
I have a weapon that will outshoot, outlast and is more reliable than any stock AR.
Best regards, John K
Outlast, Outshoot, next you will be telling me it is Battlefield tested. Keep what you like and buy what you like. My purpose was to turn your Mini 14for a profit and Upgrade!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Hiker

The mini-14 is not a bad gun, but for the price I have seen some of the mini-14s going for over +500 lately. I rather get a saiga or a M-1 Garand for a little more.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Guys, I know.
The reason I posted the piece was for those who have a Mini 14 and would like to make it a good shooter. I've had mine for years and it sat in the gun safe because it was a scatter gun. The improvements that I did made it an interesting rifle again. I'm a retired gunsmith with too much time on his hands and kind of made a quest to make my mini shoot sub MOA. Now it does.
So, if anyone has a Mini 14 that they are going to keep or gets one at a good price, try the mods as outlined. They make a big difference. If you are looking to purchase a new rifle. one other than a Mini 14 would most likely be a good choice. Even the new ones are not MOA weapons. The Mini 14's are very reliable with a good magazine and if you can get it to shoot MOA or close, it's not a bad rifle. The gas system is self cleaning and they will shoot when very dirty. I'd bet my life on mine.
Not everyone has the $$$ to go buy a new Black Rifle or a good M1.

My best to you all, John K
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dksac2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 PM

Default mini 14

Thank you for the info. The 14 I have was a friends, it is fun to shoot, I would like to do more with it. Its way less than an AR. I'm willing to put something into making it more fun with the plan to let my freind shoot it afrter to see what he thinks. The fact that you are a gun smith helps. I hope yours is more fun than mine, maybe I can come closer to what you have done. It has never jammbed
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,060 Times in 961 Posts

Living in NYC -- AR's are a NO-NO
I own two minis - an old 183 series and the NRA model - great guns

Now someone will tell me to leave NYC!!! Just so I can have an AR!!
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie505 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM

DKsac2 what does an ajustable screw do out the front of the gas block??
Old 07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Scandinavian survivor

Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,882 Posts

From what I can deduce the cost is about $50 for your home made improvment. For someone who has more money than gun smithing skills, is worth trying instead of just buying a $109 accu-strut?

For legal reasons, you new yorkers and californians know what Im talking about, Im looking for a mini. This forum is my main source of info on the gun but any thread about it always gets polluted with the "Get an AR!" seconds after beeing posted. Why?
The AR may be Gods gift to shooters but the thread is not about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Despierto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,209 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksac2 View Post
Why must someone always tell me to sell my mini and get an AR. I bought the Mini 14 for $200.00 and have maybe another $75. invested. For $275.00, I have a weapon that will outshoot, outlast and is more reliable than any stock AR.
If you would like me to have an AR, BY ALL MEANS BUY ME ONE. The prices people are getting for them is unbelievable. The AR's are great weapons, but there are others out there to. I'll gladly add the AR to my other weapons and will enjoy shooting it, just PM me and I'll tell you where to send it.
Otherwise, go to AR-15.com and slobber like the rest of them. I did not write the piece about an AR or disrespect the AR in any way. It was titled Increasing accuracy of your Mini 14.

Best regards, John K
You obviously haven't shot any ARs. I recomend selling it and getting the AR also. Does yours have the .223 chamber or a 5.56 chamber. If its .223 then you're trying your luck with 5.56 ammo.

The ARs are much more accurate, 5.56 or several other calibers, more reliable, more parts available, and you can change calibers in a few seconds to go from varmint hunting to big game hunting although the 5.56 is plenty big enough for deer.

Right now you can sell the Mini and buy an AR for about even money if you look. Just got a flier today for a DPMS Sportical for $675 That's (16" bbl, collapsable stock, and 2-30 round mags. Of course you can always build one for under $500 that a custom job.

My Mini wasn't doing it for me. Sorry.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
You beat me to it
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyoak View Post
You obviously haven't shot any ARs. I recomend selling it and getting the AR also. Does yours have the .223 chamber or a 5.56 chamber. If its .223 then you're trying your luck with 5.56 ammo.

The ARs are much more accurate, 5.56 or several other calibers, more reliable, more parts available, and you can change calibers in a few seconds to go from varmint hunting to big game hunting although the 5.56 is plenty big enough for deer.

Right now you can sell the Mini and buy an AR for about even money if you look. Just got a flier today for a DPMS Sportical for $675 That's (16" bbl, collapsable stock, and 2-30 round mags. Of course you can always build one for under $500 that a custom job.

My Mini wasn't doing it for me. Sorry.
My AR is more accurate, but I would not sell the Mini 14. They are completely different rifles for different functions.

The AR was developed as a pure military weapon and it excels at it. It excels at firing factory loaded ammo using FMJ bullets and a powder that leaves very little crud behind. It excels when carried in the hand or with a chest rig. Some versions of it accept a variety of sights and optics.

The Ruger Mini-14 is the generalist. It excels at be mounted in the cab of the tractor for weeks and still functioning perfectly for a single shot at that chicken stealing coyote. It excels at digesting ammo loaded with any bullet available (except cast bullets). It will continue to shoot no matter what power you have to resort to once the factory ammo runs out.

I wouldn't just give up if I had to defend my self with a Ruger Mini. But during a long engagement where I had to fire more than a few hundred rounds in a single engagement the Ruger would not my first choice. My Rugers heat up due to the thin barrels and you will ultimately damage the rifling. I am sure the AR barrel heats up but it is designed for easy replacement.

As for hunting big game, I would recommend that you buy a full power hunting rifle. While a deer will certainly fall down dead after being shot with a .223 using FMJ bullets, the question is which county will it run off to before it dies. Under a crisis conditions I want the relatively scarce game to fall down where I can find it. I do not want to risk that it will run off and become some one else's dinner.

My suggestion is to consider the Ruger as a dual purpose weapon and the AR as a specialized combat weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Target Shooter

http://www.perfectunion.com

Check their Mini section.

The Accustrut is a nice piece of kit. It works.

I've shot 200+ rounds at a sitting with my Mini-14. It still shoots 1.5" @ 100 yards. The last Mini-14 I heard about that needed a barrel replacement had over 100,000 rounds through it.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to jrswanson1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM

I always noticed the thin barrel on the Mini 14. My M14 looks thin too compared to the AR. I qualify with both rifles and have never had a problem with either. I still prefer either to the AR as I like the idea if I have to I can manually cycle the bolt.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,448 Times in 4,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswanson1 View Post
http://www.perfectunion.com

Check their Mini section.

The Accustrut is a nice piece of kit. It works.

I've shot 200+ rounds at a sitting with my Mini-14. It still shoots 1.5" @ 100 yards. The last Mini-14 I heard about that needed a barrel replacement had over 100,000 rounds through it.

Jim
Thats good to know, my two are just getting broken in by that measure.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Getting there....

The best way to accurize a Mini-14 is to sell it and buy an AR-15.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus View Post
The best way to accurize a Mini-14 is to sell it and buy an AR-15.
There's always one in this type of thread . Now go clean your AR, you've already shot 10 rounds.

Jim
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jrswanson1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM

I am getting ready to apply your accurizing tips to my two mini-14s. I have the stuff for the struts, and bought a couple of ultimak rails. I was wondering if you would sell me a couple of the gas block bushings you made?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Recent Blog: Episode 251 ? Raided
Today's Survival Show

Anyone have any experience with that new mini 14 out with the ATI collapsible/folding stock and fancy rails on the forend? Looks like their newer style, thicker and shorter barrel.