Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM

Default adding muzzle brake to wasr 10/63

Advertise Here

So i finally picked up a wasr 10/63 monday, got it cleaned up and put a couple of mas through it. Im pleased it seems to be decently accurate and functioned flawlessly!

Im wanting to add a muzzle brake to it, from what i can tell the barrel is threaded, it seems to have some sort of thread guard screwed over the threads and then there is a pin that comes out of the front sight base that fits into a notch on the thread cover and holds it in place.

From looking at the rifle i assume i can remove the pin somehow and then screw the cap off and reinstall a brake of my choice. I was just browsing midway and found this tapco one http://http://www.midwayusa.com/view...tnumber=946194 , you can see the notch on the top thats the same notch that the cap thats on there now has so im assuming it would work. Do i have to remove the whole front sight base to put a brake on or can i remove that pin and just screw it off?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM

The pin you speak of is spring loaded. When you remove the muzzel cap just depress the pin until the cap is clear of it. The pin shouldnt go anywhere once you let the pressure off of it. When you install you brake just screw it on and it will have a small U notch in it that the pin will rest in. Also check your muzzel cap. It might be tack welded. If so you will have to dremel or grind the weld off CAREFULLY. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarmack1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,405 Times in 3,206 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...MUZZLE%20BRAKE

The AK-74 style is about the best you can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Thats what i though, the pin seemed a little stuborn so im gonna spray it with a little clp and let it soak to see if it will pop in.

I looked at those ak74 brake's but they seem to be much larger and bulky. If its really a better option i will consider it but i like the simplicity of the slant brake.

What are the benefits of the ak74 style brake's?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

less recoil, rifle stays on target better between shots giving quicker follow up shots over eh slant break. The slant is really designed to reduce climb during full auto fire.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Smile

I dont know if the slant brake will really do anything except make your rifle look more like the orginal AK. I believe the brake you are looking at was an aid when firing the rifle in full auto. It would help keep the muzzel from climbing skyward. I cant really say if the 74 brake does anything or not. I had one on a 47 yugo uf. Felt recoil was alot less than on my other AKs. My yugo also seemed to weigh more than the others. Go with what looks right for you. There are some USA made Chinese style AK flashhiders that look good and serve a purpose.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Target Shooter

Optics on an AK, like lipstick on a pig.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 PM

any recomendations on a chinese brake?

I like the look of the angled brake but if it serves no purpose then i would rather get one that reduces recoil and serves as a flash hider.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I'm recommending the 74 break b/c I've tried them all.
This one is the best all around but its a little long for my taste...

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/comakaamd.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
free man

I used the J-Tac, which is said to be argubly the best out there. I dunno, since I've never compared them. I 'do' know its not as long/bulky as the 74 type(being not much larger then an M4 style while still being a relatively effective flash hider). As with most true 'brakes', its measurably louder tho.

I also have the cage stle chinese flash suppressor. Looks relatively fragile(thin crown) compared to the M4 style I also have for the AK.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
I'm recommending the 74 break b/c I've tried them all.
This one is the best all around but its a little long for my taste...

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/comakaamd.aspx

well since im about to place an order from centerfire im just gonna go ahead and tag one of these 74 brakes onto my order. If i dont like it then i will just buy a different one.

Thanks for all the assistance fellas!

actually im gonna go ahead and get a slant, 74, and amd65 brakes and try all 3, heck they are cheap enough and i can swap them as i see fit if i have all 3!

Last edited by mr_gs-r; 04-02-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Try onesource tactial for flashiders.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
last of a dying breed

+1 on the 74 muzzle break tell you what you WILL feel a big difference
Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhead View Post
+1 on the 74 muzzle break tell you what you WILL feel a big difference

Its ugly as **** but you guys are raving about it so theres gotta be some merit to the 74 brake. Ill give it a shot, got some mag pouches 3 brakes and a 6 mag chest rig from centerfire. Should be here within the next week or so. Ill post back after i get them and do some tests.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 PM

I had another quick question, what do you guys recomend as far as a side mount rail to go on the wasr so i can adda scope. It already has the mount base on the receiver and i already have a decent 4x scope thats wasting space so i was toying with the idea of adding a scope to it.

The mount must allow for use of the irons as this is a SHTF gun and i have to have BUIS!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Recent Blog:

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

The only optic I would put on a AK is a red dot sight
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gs-r View Post
Its ugly as **** but you guys are raving about it so theres gotta be some merit to the 74 brake. Ill give it a shot, got some mag pouches 3 brakes and a 6 mag chest rig from centerfire. Should be here within the next week or so. Ill post back after i get them and do some tests.
I am using a 74 brake, I had a slant brake and no brake. The slant brake did absolutely nothing for taming the recoil of the weapon, I didn't notice anything other than it seemed louder.

The 74 brake really made a considerable difference, I am able to pop 2 shots off in rapid succession and actually stay on target with the 74 brake, I wasn't able to do that with the slant brake.

This is the one that I ordered. It is the cheapest I have found and is US made.

http://dpharms.com/ak74-style-comp-w...ads-p-155.html

I have never used the AMD-65 brakes so I can't speak of their effectiveness. I personally like the look of the 74 brake, and with synthetic furniture it gives it the AK-100 series look. Here is a photo of mine and a photo of Ronald Regan for good measure

Oh and since I don't think it has been mentioned, they are reverse threaded so "lefty tighty, righty loosey".
Attached Thumbnails
bluedandshiney.jpg   ronald_reagan.jpg  
Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gs-r View Post
I had another quick question, what do you guys recomend as far as a side mount rail to go on the wasr so i can adda scope. It already has the mount base on the receiver and i already have a decent 4x scope thats wasting space so i was toying with the idea of adding a scope to it.

The mount must allow for use of the irons as this is a SHTF gun and i have to have BUIS!
The UltiMAK gas tube mount will allow for co-witnessing with a lot of optics, not EoTech's though

http://milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M1B

This is the guy I ordered from, he is out of stock right now but he has the cheapest price on them, by like 10 bucks, and he got it to me in 3 days from the time I ordered. A real stand up fellow to order from.

If you are looking to order optics I would recommend ordering from Opticsplanet, they have the cheapest prices on most things, ship free on a lot of products and they have excellent customer service. They forgot to ship my free scope cover, I emailed them, got a reply within an hour and they shipped it out to me by the next day and apologized.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
The only optic I would put on a AK is a red dot sight
I agree with Kahn. I personally dont like magnified optics on AKs. When it comes to red dots you get what you pay for. If want co-witiness you almost have to go with an ulti-mak scope mount.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 AM

great fellas, this is what im looking for info on what works and what doesnt.

So you said the ultimak rail will cowitness with alot of red dots, does anyone have a suggestion as far as which red dot to go with that is moderatley priced? Ive ordeed some sks stuff from benny at milsurp, hes a great guy and if your a member at sksboards.com he will give you an additional 5% off, its not much but every little bit helps!

I did a little more searching and reading last night and i stumbled upon several posts where people had cut the weld and then removed the muzzle brake only to find that the idiots at century had pressed, not screwed, the brake onto the barrel therefore runing the threads and any future chance of having a muzzle brake on the rifle because it you try to rethread it the muzzle will be too small in diameter!

Im gonna be ticked if i cut that weld and my threads are butchered! Worse comes to worse i guess i could weld the new brake on like the old one but i really dont want to do that.

I noticed when shooting it for the first time that the muzzle wold jump alot when the rifle was shot so i would have to say that even the slant brake would be some improvment!

This rifle is stamped 1980, from what i read i found a few others with rifles ranging from 1980-1983 that had removed the muzzle nut and the threads were fine im. Im hoping i find the same.