Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Controversial News and Alternative Politics
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Controversial News and Alternative Politics The conspiracy theory section

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,080 Posts
Default Its Illegal to own Body Armor?!?!?!?!

Advertise Here

WTF??????????

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512096,00.html

Quote:
DETROIT Federal authorities have accused the Michigan-based president of a national motorcycle club of drug trafficking and unlawfully possessing body armor.

The U.S. attorney's office in Detroit said Wednesday 54-year-old Jeff G. Smith of Mount Clemens was indicted on a charge of possessing two body armor vests. The Devil's Disciples president previously was convicted of a violent felony.

Smith and 16 other members were charged with using a telephone for drug trafficking. Another man was charged with making false statements.

Authorities searched two Devil's Disciples properties, a Port Huron chapter and the headquarters in Clinton Township and say they found drugs, firearms and gambling equipment.

Phone and e-mail messages have been left with Smith's attorney
Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Just Another Patriot

I hope someone answers your question soon. I'm going to go and research this. Damn, if it's true, it's just another invasion of privacy and violation of our civil liberties that our government is screwing us with!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Recent Blog:
THIS IS A GREAT F0RUM

Thanked 7,166 Times in 1,764 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

Here in Florida it is legal to own and wear body armor. It is illegal to use body armor while committing a crime. Other state law may vary.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Grounded

Thanked 1,496 Times in 684 Posts

If the man was convicted of a violent felony, then possession of body armor is illegal in michigan without special permission.

http://law.onecle.com/michigan/750-m...-750-227g.html
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 AM
American Infidel

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,339 Posts

It varies from state to state.

Levi pointed out the law in Mich for you above.

in most places it is legal to own, but using it in commission of a crime will increase the penalties.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 AM

A similar ban has been proposed in British Columbia after a very public, very bad flare up between gangs running drugs here. Also, it was proposed that vehicles that are armored and not licensed to be could be seized.

A common thread being gangs reinforcing their cars with armor and wearing body armor.

Neither laws are likely to pass, but proposed nonetheless.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Ignorance is strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Here in Florida it is legal to own and wear body armor. It is illegal to use body armor while committing a crime. Other state law may vary.
Same in PA. Actually wearing with intent to commit a felony is illegal
Old 04-02-2009, 06:19 PM
TRES PER CENT

wow, oh wow
Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
That's hilarious... cause a criminal would really care whether wearing body armor is a crime. Bah, Florida...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,969 Posts

As stated, most likely illegal due to him being a convicted felon.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,295 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard View Post
That's hilarious... cause a criminal would really care whether wearing body armor is a crime. Bah, Florida...
the point is not that the criminal would care but that it is another charge the prosecutor can bring. helps put them away longer.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,545 Times in 13,369 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Ditto in California
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taisdealach View Post
the point is not that the criminal would care but that it is another charge the prosecutor can bring. helps put them away longer.
Why don't they ever bring charges against cops for violating civil rights, police brutality, and excessive force while wearing Body armor, to put the cops away longer. Probally because of a double standard for civilians versus LE.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 AM

I had heard that the lefties were going to try to make body armor illegal along with the assault weapons ban, I'm pretty sure that it's still legal tho. I think the only way you can be charged with unlawfully posessing body armor is if you are committing a crime while wearing it.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoberman View Post
It varies from state to state.

Levi pointed out the law in Mich for you above.

in most places it is legal to own, but using it in commission of a crime will increase the penalties.
+1 to this. Remember that body armour comes in different classes. In SOME states(Most red states) you can safely own class 1 or 2 body armour. I suggest looking up your state laws and figuring it out Some places even sell it(Online, commissary)
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Hiker

It is illegal. That's why I alway duct tape a Websters Dictionary to my belly and my back. Just in case I meet up with Jeff G. Smith.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Sector IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taisdealach View Post
If someone is wearing body armor while committing a crime, they are doing something so heinous that they expect to be shot at. A crime of that severity shouldn't require that a prosecutor be able to tag on more charges to lock them up for longer. They should be locked up for a sufficient period of time to begin with. Just another example of how we have allowed our system to become broken.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,239 Posts

Its Illegal to own Body Armor?!?!?!?!..............so what?

The way I see it if I work hard and earn my money, then what I buy with it is mine case closed end of story, what some bureaucrat say's is insignificant.

Really how many of you are willing to drop upwards of 3 grand on something just to have some power hungry a$$hole come and take it away?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
American Infidel

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,339 Posts

Lots of incorrect info in this thread.

- It is NOT illegal to own body armor or a bullet resistant vest. I know several people who own them. I worked the door at a night club with a guy who wore one every night. High profile execs wear them, people working in private security wear them.

- As long as you are not a convicted felon you can buy as many vests as you want.

- You can buy any level of vest you want. Here is a level IIIA concealable vest for $350.
http://www.partners2create.com/produ...roductid=16223

- You can get a vest for as little as $300-350.

- You can even get ceramic rifle plates if you want, you just can't buy or ship them out of the US.
http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Ar...otection.shtml

Again, if you are a felon they are illegal to own. If you use them while committing a crime you will face additional charges and harsher penalties.

Connecticut is the only state where it is illegal for a civilian to buy body armor unless the transaction is face to face.

"Residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military). We can't ship to Connecticut, or even accept credit cards billed there...

We cannot ship to residents of Connecticut
who are not police or military.

Some states are considering new legislation to prohibit or restrict sales of Body Armor to civilians, e.g., New York. If you are in a state that passes such a law, you would be well advised to make your Body Armor purchase now before it becomes much more expensive and inconvenient, if not prohibited altogether."

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Quick_Answers.shtml#13

Hope this clears up some of the misunderstandings regarding BA.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Hunter

you can buy body armour, i still have my military body armour,did have a my billistic helmet but sold it to a friend, he used it for his motorcycle at the time.its all in how you use it, same for a knife if you use them in a crime its illegal but legal if you dont depending on your states laws.