Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 PM
eyes opened 911,

Default Surplus ammo cans

Advertise Here

Has anyone found a GOOD use for those surplus ammo cans? They do not seem to seal very well and they tend to have bits of rust some times. Any good uses where these cannot be replaced by something better like Rubbermaid products?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
In Omnia Paratus

they are pretty good for holding ammo...

i know im an a**hole.

But at JRTC we used to use them to contain early warning devices, trip flares and the such, it keeps the effects localized, and if you use audio devices it amplifies it a little, and keeps the ground water away. Just a suggestion, dont really know what your circumstances are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macguyver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
This is a great survival forum

you are getting the wrong kind, mine are from the military. they have a "completely" waterproof seal and you can store stuff in them and you can bury them.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
eyes opened 911,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalDude93 View Post
you are getting the wrong kind, mine are from the military. they have a "completely" waterproof seal and you can store stuff in them and you can bury them.
Maybe I will keep checking others. That is why I exactly want them....to hide my dirty movies
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 14,419 Times in 4,178 Posts

They also make good deer feeder timer mechanism covers as well as tool boxes for your BOV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,091 Times in 1,340 Posts

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=48951
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Frozen Patriot

Ammo...isn't that what they're for???

DS
Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I love this forum

I know the answer to this!

Ammo cans are fire proof. Metal can not burn. You should use them for things that you do not want to burn in a fire. Things without a flash point and things that do not melt.

My brother can use them for his knives. I use one for jewelry. You can use them as weights. You can store fishing stuff in it if you do not use it normally.

Its like any other old container silly.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 AM

I get mine at the local army navy joint with a few spots of rust and some sand all over them. I clean them out really well with water first, then get all the paint off with paint thinner. Let it dry, then a rub down with WD-40 to keep the rust at bay. I painted this one with a black base coat, then used a beige with leaves to finish it off. A few coats of non gloss clear, some grease on the seals, and we're good to go. I also added an eye bolt to allow it to be locked. With a little work, these things can make excellent storage cans for whatever you can think of.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCI0016.jpg   DSCI0017.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to swsccassidy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 AM
I'd rather be Jeeping...

I get mine locally from an Army surplus store, but they also have a website. Shipping can get expensive.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/

~JohnP
Old 03-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Zombie Killer

You should never have a 'surplus' ammo can...they should all be full of ammo.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,598 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemiss9419 View Post
I know the answer to this!

Ammo cans are fire proof. Metal can not burn. You should use them for things that you do not want to burn in a fire. Things without a flash point and things that do not melt.

My brother can use them for his knives. I use one for jewelry. You can use them as weights. You can store fishing stuff in it if you do not use it normally.

Its like any other old container silly.
Military ammo cans are not "fire proof". The contents of the can are in no way protected from the heat of a fire as the metal will transmit the heat directly into the can and therefore to the contents.

They are designed for the storage of small arms ammo, with a seal that melts and relieves the pressure of any ammo that might cook off if involved in a fire, preventing an explosive detonation due to contained pressure. The seal acts as a relief valve.

Fireproof containers are usually double or triple walled and have insulation, usually gypsum or other combination of materials that delay the transmission of heat to the contents of the container.

Military ammo cans may have many other uses and their durability is better than any plastic piece of crap sold on the commercial market. If your cans are not sealing, the gasket is defective or the can is bent at the sealing edge.

When used for what they were designed for, there is no better substitute.

Rust can be removed and the cans repainted, gaskets can be replaced so they function as designed.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM
eyes opened 911,

Thanks for everybodys help. Yes at the surplus store I dug through the first row of "rust" bins to get and finally find the better ones with seals intact at the back. Seems a bit expensive but they look intact.

Another question, what is the best way of locking them???...to store ammo legally (in Canada)???braze a padlock latch??
Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
You're no daisy

Thanked 1,798 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolidra View Post
Thanks for everybodys help. Yes at the surplus store I dug through the first row of "rust" bins to get and finally find the better ones with seals intact at the back. Seems a bit expensive but they look intact.

Another question, what is the best way of locking them???...to store ammo legally (in Canada)???braze a padlock latch??
Check out the post above by swsccassidy where he used an eye bolt and a padlock. I've done the same thing and it works great. Should satisfy the need to lock up ammo.

I use my ammo cans for storing ammo, and brass from the range for reloading. Also have 2 .50 cal cans welded to the rack on my 4wheeler for holding tools, and 2 welded to the front of my flat bed trailer for holding tarps, straps and bungees.

your imagination is the limit!
The Following User Says Thank You to kef3stlmo For This Useful Post: