Realistic Techniques For Hiding Retreat Driveway Entrance? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you camoflage your BOL entrance? 30Carbine Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 07-18-2014 08:26 AM
Hiding/camouflage entrance to neighborhood / driveway ryan112ryan Urban Survival 9 07-05-2014 09:27 AM
Any EEs here? Hypothetical entrance security solution. Freek314 DIY - Do It Yourself 9 04-08-2014 01:28 AM
Building a cabin to conceal bunker entrance...???!!! Prepared2Surviv DIY - Do It Yourself 27 08-29-2013 11:28 AM
Interesting Entrance Poll at Iowa Caucus AtticusFinch Political News and Discussion 9 01-05-2012 09:10 AM
The only TWO requirements for entrance into the Kingdom... MountainRecluse Religious Discussion 137 06-28-2011 09:54 AM
Ohio lowers Police entrance exam.. Bosco Warden Political News and Discussion 5 03-20-2011 03:59 PM
5.9 Earthquake Hits the Entrance to the Suez Canal ? Hawkeye Alex Manmade and Natural Disasters 15 02-21-2011 08:14 PM
Nuclear shelter: What to do if the entrance gets blocked? Proyas Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 10-15-2008 12:35 AM
Gold mine entrance at our survival retreat survivalebooks Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 09-12-2008 08:15 PM

Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Prepared

Default Realistic Techniques For Hiding Retreat Driveway Entrance?

Advertise Here

One of the rural properties hubby and I are considering buying here in Western Washington has an older (but livable) mobile home on 12 acres, not visible to the neighbors or -- more importantly for the privacy we're looking for -- not visible from the secondary road.

I always thought my dream home in the country would have that gorgeous winding road to the house, gated entryway, big mailbox, flanked by perfectly-spaced trees, etc. Then I realized DUH!!! Such a setup might as well have a flashing neon billboard near the mailbox advertising GET YOUR STUFF HERE!!! if SHTF and you want to maintain a low profile.

So I could use some ideas for REALISTICALLY camouflaging a driveway entrance in the country. Here's what I've been told so far:

1. Take down the mailbox. Is a mailbox required at an address? Could you not just rent a mailbox address in town?

2. Keep the driveway road unimproved, with potholes.

3. Encourage brushy natural growth on both sides of the driveway.

4. Post beat-up signs indicating no access, no turnaround, no trespassing, etc. as if nothing but land is up that road.

5. Rustic beat-up gate, if any at all.

I'd sure appreciate any and all advice!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Come And Take It

Bomb it. Seriously, blow up the entrance. It will make it look like everything is already gone.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Fun Guy

Get yourself a post office box. That's what I used for several years when I didn't want to use a mailbox.

If you just want the property to sit there unused plant some bushes across the driveway to mask it. You can alway cut them down or drive over them if shtf and you are going to use the property.

Don't put up an old gate with signs all over it. Nothing says "come fourwheel on my property" more than that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPT Shortcut For This Useful Post:

Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
treehugging hippie

Have you seen Children of Men? One of the characters (Jasper) in that movie has a hidden driveway using lots of fallen brush to hide it. His entire house setup actually is pretty good...check it out if you havent already.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher View Post
if SHTF and you want to maintain a low profile.

So I could use some ideas for REALISTICALLY camouflaging a driveway entrance in the country. Here's what I've been told so far:

If SHTF, just start dropping trees at the entrance and in about 1 hundred feet.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
High on a mountain top

If you wanted to get really fancy you could rig up a pulley system to move a tree in front of the driveway, with the ability to pull the tree out of the way if needed. If SHTF you put put extra bushes and brambles on it to make it look even more deserted. Be best to put the tree on an angle rather than strait across so it looks accidental.
The Following User Says Thank You to contact00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 12:19 PM
the moman

Just want to also shout out in support for Children of Men (best survivalist movie EVER IMO, very realistic 'near future' survivalist scenario, complete with urban survival, rural survivalist communities, psychological survivalism, government's reactions, etc; really recommend checking it out).

As the previous poster said, Jasper's (from the movie) BOL setup was one of the best I've seen (plus he was a cool old guy who grew cannabis ). I often think about this, and how I would like a similar setup for a BOL were I ever to buy one. The entrance is completely camouflaged and it didn't seem like you could even notice the road were you even looking for it (spoiler: albeit it was discovered later on in the movie, but they never explained how it was).

The only way it would be cooler is if it was rigged with a wireless / battery-powered gate, that was in return covered in the existing shrubbary and non-noticable. That way should you need to make a hasty escape, quickly opening the camouflaged gate wirelessly while approaching in your car, then quickly close the gate (once again wirelessly without having to get out of your car) once your in. That way would wouldn't need to spend time moving the shrubs asside and putting them back again. (also camouflaged security camera's and alarms are a must, incase you are discovered, so that you have time to prepare for a defense or get out).

Just want to reiterate, if you are a survivalist and haven't seen children of men go and buy / rent / download it now, it is well worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to moman2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Farmer/Film maker

There are a few Ideas I had...

Have the driveway end in a lake/river/large body of water. Then have a ferry to transport your car to the hidden next half of the driveway. A dock would indicate a fishing spot instead of a driveway to somewhere.

If you go with overgrown bushes and deserted look you could throw in a worn out "WARNING! TRAPS IN VICINITY! KEEP OUT!" sign to create the possibility that there are abandoned set traps around. I did this to keep people from a trailer park next door from cutting across our field. I threw some broken mouse traps into the brush to make sure I could truthfully say there were traps and thus ended trespassing.
The Following User Says Thank You to PlacidRambo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Here's a man who stood up

Lets get back to reality for a minute.

Dropping a few trees across a driveway will not "Hide" your BOL.

If people drive the main road and have seen your driveway, they know something is down that driveway.

They may have even been down that driveway a few times in the past.

They may have played on thoses 12 acres when they were kids.

People arent stupid, and their memories are very good.

As far as Childeren of Men is concerned...good movie but,

They had a few bushes camoflaging the driveway.

Again, a few bushes across the driveway will not make you invisible, it was only a movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to wind For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeoman Agrarian

Dont have a driveway. Just leave it as dirt.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,051 Times in 4,603 Posts

Pave the entrance and block it. A paved road, is a used, and monitored road. Also put up Camera's that are fake and visible. If they think its someones home, they wont go 4wheeling down your driveway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 PM

Get some "Crowned Vetch" (seed) and scatter it through the entrance. It will grow in rock, clay, etc. Gets a few feet high and will hide the drive. Just make sure you know where the entrance is if there's any kind of a ditch there too.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,357 Times in 658 Posts

you are not going to hide it from the locals, they know it's there and most have probably played there as kids. mail box is not required, some fire districts and counties required a address to be posted for emergancy response however they do not really enforce it that hard. remember we have lots of rain which is going to mean mud a great part of the year. if you make your driveway at a hard angle off the road than add a opposite hard angle 40 feet or so and not clear the overhanging branches you will be fairly hidden. keep in mind the harder you make the access the harder to get deliveries, the more damage to your vehicles both body and suspension. get to know your neighbors, it may turn out it is not a issue if they are of a like mind. what general area are you looking in?
The Following User Says Thank You to Taisdealach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,737 Times in 1,369 Posts

Put a junker mobile home ( I am talking one with the roof falling in and the windows out) near the road. The drive way can go around the place if needed. Fill the old trailer with Manure so it smells so bad no one will want to try and squat in it. If it has hit the fan then put a couple of dead animals near the fence with a notice of quarantine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grinnan Barrett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM

if you make your driveway at a hard angle off the road than add a opposite hard angle 40 feet or so and not clear the overhanging branches you will be fairly hidden.

This. If the drive goes a few yards, then takes a sudden jog, it's really hard to tell if it leads to anything at all. It may look like an abandoned logging road, or an unsuccessful attempt to cut a path. Nothing like a straight line of sight to say "come on down!".
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,828 Times in 10,734 Posts

Think distraction/decoy, get a bulldozer and plow up a REALLY big driveway into the woods across the road from yours.
Oh,wait, you said "realistic..."