Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: What you prefear?
12 ga 908 73.94%
16 ga 27 2.20%
20 ga 205 16.69%
Either 78 6.35%
Neither 10 0.81%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Hunter

Advertise Here

I own a crap ton of 20g and one 12g. I use the 20g for everything but turkey hunting. If I was using them for strictly a survival purpose I'd go with the 12g without batting a eye. 12g is just easier to find deals on ammo. Also there is just more people with 12g.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
More with Less

We have a 20ga because it came with a youth stock. My wife is small and the only 12ga with a short reach was a coach gun or an aftermarket stock. Shells for both seem to be pretty available at every store I've ever been to, so I think the lower recoil and shorter pull for more people in my family to use it is an advantage.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM

12 over 20 just for availability of ammo. If you're worried about power go to an Ithaca 10 gauge Road Blocker for auto loading high brass 3.5 triple aught.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,186 Times in 526 Posts

For versatility and and availability, the .12 should be the hands-down choice for survival purposes. Having been persuaded as such by the late Mel Tappan's "Survival Guns", I proceeded to build my formidable shotgun battery. Nine guns, all .12 gauge.

But something happened on the way to the apocalypse.....

Lately, I have done a lot of bird hunting. I have two Vizslas, and belong to a dog club where we train extensively over planted bob white, as well as participate in AKC hunt tests. Bottomline, I have been using shotguns a lot. As I look around me, though, half my peers (at least) are using .20 gauge. They are more experienced than me, and have no problems sweeping the skies with their guns. And a casual glance at every shotshell sale around these parts shows the .20 is readily available.

So...for a newbie with no experience, I still think a .12 should be the first thing you pick up. And it is still premier for defense. But if you have a .20, and bird-hunting, particularly quail and the like, figure prominently in your survival plans, stock up on those shells and don't look back.

I think I might actually get a .20; I need an excuse for another gun anyway.

Last edited by arizonafusilier; 01-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: spelling their
Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 AM

I have six shotguns total, four are 20 gauge and two are 12 gauge. I enjoy shooting the 20's the most and ammo selection is very good around where I live. When I go to the range I shoot 100+ rounds and the 20's make it much more enjoyable to do that. The 12's just beat my shoulder up too much and leave me sore the next day. It's fine when your younger and heal fast, but when you get older everything takes much longer to recooperate.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM

12 gauge any day, cheaper price for a bigger round, whats not to love. I would never buy any other gauge shotgun.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Libertarian

Default Survival is not Special Forces

I own 2 12's (an 870 pump, and an O/U). I also own 2 Savage 24's, which are combo guns with .22lr on top and 20 gauge on the bottom.

First off, a 20 gauge can do ANYTHING a 12 can...just at shorter distances. Period. YES, you will obviously have less margin for error with the 20ga. But assuming you do as much shooting as you do talking about your guns on internet forums...you're just fine with a 20 ga for survival purposes. In fact, I'd say you're even better off.

The reason? Well, as I said, any of the bigger purposes (e.g. slugs for deer or black bear) you can do, just not with as great a range. Again, can you shoot? Secondly, for smaller game (e.g. squirrels, rabbits, and upland fliers) the 20 is the right amount of medicine, where the 12 is more likely to make 'pink mist.'

The argument some make about the military and police departments using 12 ga is poor, because you have to consider THEIR purpose. First off, they need to shoot at human size targets. second, they need to limit margin of error. So size, weight and recoil constraints are of no concern. Nor is overkill, which most CERTAINLY is if you are looking at survival and want to "hunt" meat, not just "kill" meat. You want to have enough of it left to eat.

I've said on a rifle thread, and it bears repeating on a shotgun thread, that survival is first and foremost about getting food and shelter. Not building an arsonal of "tactical" weapons to defend a foxhole against hoards of invaders.

If you're smart, when faced with a survival scenario, your first move is to get away. You need to get to where you can be low-key, hunting food. That means small ground creatures, by and large, as they're everywhere. I don't want my 12 ga 870 pump when I need to kill a rabbit. I WANT that little Savage 24 and the .22lr or 20 ga, depending on distance.

I would rather be fending off bad guys or ornery bears with a food gun...than trying to hunt food with a weapon more suited to war.

Survival is not a Rambo fantasy with plastic spray can guns and a very handy, unlocked, well-stocked ammo depot nearby to raid. It's cold, you have little supplies, you might be hurt, and you need high odds food options. 20 feet into the woods is a squirrel or rabbit. A woman or young adult can shoot that little 24, if necessary.

So...which is better, 12 or 20? Depends on what you already have, and what you need it for. Gun to the head, I would likely pick up the 20ga.

Oh, one more thing. The 12 is the #1 produced caliber, the 20 is #2. So while yes, there will be more 12 ammo about, it isn't like you wont find 20.

Better bet...stock up on either or both. But do so in mind of what you will encounter to eat. NOT based on what you think makes you more like "Ahnold" in Predator.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Massad Ayoob on 12 vs. 20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMv2z...eature=related
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 PM

If you can only have ONE shotgun, make it a 12ga. Reason being that there are more different combo loads available for it and more folks own them. In a bad situation, you would more than likley be able to find shells. 20ga is excellent for small game, birds and yes personal defense. I have both, actually 3 12ga guns and a 20 double.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM

Probably the best option is a 20ga shotgun (double) and a 6" 22lr/WMR convertible sixgun. The 22WMR is VERY powerful on small game. Shot a cyote a month ago from 50 yards and it blew him up, dropping him instantly.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Libertarian

K...OR....22lr over 20 ga, OR .22 WMR over .410 in Savage 24. See? There's a reason over one million guns can't be wrong!

My personal preference is for the .22lr / 20ga, primarily because of shot-shell availability. But if you like the more powerful WMR rifle round, then get it over the .410 ga, and let the shotgun be your weaker hand. In either configuration, the rifle and shotgun compliment each other.

I own 2 12 gauges and love them, but the truth is, as I said in a prior post, the 20 can do ANYTHING the 12 can...just at shorter distances. Since we're talking about survival, and not hunting where you're attempting to be "sporting," I think the lighter weight and size are the right trade-off against a greater capability you probably don't even care to make use of, or CAN'T make use of, in a survival situation.

Shotguns are the TRUE "guns that won the West," in that they're what most households had on hand for all duties...be it hunting, fending off Indians, or what have you. Not everyone owned a rifle. But we're told just about EVERYONE had a shotgun.

Nuthin' wrong with a 12ga...I just prefer the 20 for THIS purpose.

Last edited by Nom De Guerre; 02-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: grammer
The Following User Says Thank You to Nom De Guerre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Finish the game

Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,064 Posts

A full choke 20 GA 28" barrel will hold its pattern for longer distances than the same gun in 12GA (longer range on smaller birds), other than that the 12 GA beats it in every way (I own and hunt with a 12 GA, but have a 20 GA 870 that I used when I was a kid).
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 AM
tempus fugit

I learned to shoot with a .410 that belonged to my great-grandfather (still have it), but now I have a 12 gauge Stevens Browning 620 with a modified choke.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Prepared

Put the 1st Few rounds today through my new mossy 500 12g. Cycled real nice. Felt real good. Now I'm really looking forward to that boat trip this weekend.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:18 PM

if SHTF whats the most common to find? 12.
if SHTF and your out of ammo which are easier to find shells for? 12.

which has the most varibilty in shells to sute nearly every whim? 12.

im not against a 20 or others but a good stand by 12 gauge is a neccesity but if you can afford to have both and be well practiced in both why not get a 20 too!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Just a thought here
Lets go shoot a round of trap one person shoots a 20 gauge and one shoots a 12 gauge
What would happen if both shooters had the same skill level?
The 12 would be the winner
Now I know it isnt the same for close defense but I think the 12 wins all day long
I even think the 12 wins when it comes to felt recoil even though in self defense that doesnt really matter
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM

I learned to shoot with a .20 gauge long barrel single shot. Had to be good to hit with that one so am partial to the .20 gauge.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM

imo,either/or will work fine.lets face it,if it's a shtf enviroment,i dont believe i'd be looking to invite bambi to dinner,when small to med size game would do,unless you have a cabin in the woods,which i don't,to be able eat,or use before it went to waste.my point is when that time comes,whether it's a12,20,16 or even a 410,you'll not only have a full belly,but a equalizer when some yahoo wants to relieve you of some of you equip.they all were made for one thing only.for me if it does it's intended job,i'll use them all
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 AM

12 guage for me 20 for the wife , i have a double so i may be picking up a 20 adapter for it so i can shoot either
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowteckredneck View Post
12 guage for me 20 for the wife , i have a double so i may be picking up a 20 adapter for it so i can shoot either
They are both great. 12ga for me though.

T.C.