Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default USA Safe Zones... do they exist?

Advertise Here

I'm not referring to man-made problems created by humans.... such as War, Martial Law, etc. I'm referring to Mother Nature.

The Florida/TX South has Hurricanes and Tornadoes.
Then we got Earthquake California.
Oh God... What if Yellowstone blows her top?
Oklahoma is Tornado Alley.

What if we did have Nuclear War? Lucky us survive the radiation, only to have Mother Nature reem us a good one. Good God! Can you just imagine? You've only been surviving out in the open for 1 month when a Hurricane comes barreling right at you!!! Nothing like trying to deal with MULTIPLE problems!

I'd rather deal with bears, cougars, and Bigfoots, then to deal with Mother Nature's wrath. A gun can save you from a bear, but it can't save you from an earthquake.

So... when it comes to Mother Nature and her moody moments... which areas would you deem the safest? (or shall I say, the less problematic)

So far, I just can't bring myself to sell the house and re-locate away from my adult sons.... but.... if there really was a reasonable safe region, that just might be the defining moment.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Come And Take It

Accepting risk is part of life. You wouldn't let an oppressive government control you, why would you let fear control you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jordanmills For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I love this forum

But I don't consider it fear. I consider it... using common sense for the best possible place.
The odds of Nuclear War, or some other man-made Human problem would probably be only ONCE in a lifetime. However... the threat of a Tornado (depending on where you live) could be a YEARLY problem. And if Yellowstone blows, and you are living too close... well... I guess that wont matter much!

I'm trying to lessen the RISKS of Mother Nature's wrath. Why deal with any more problems than you have too?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Hiker

You think California has earthquakes? Alaska is the king of earthquakes, but I'd still consider that as a great place to BO. No one is going to chide you about carrying a gun anywhere, as (atleast in the areas I've been in, like Kodiak Bay) they actually still have roaming grizzlies. A skeleton of a 22' one greets you in the airport, and it's paw is larger than most people's head. (people that have been there, can validate this) Actually, even with a 357 in hand, you feel pretty inadequate when looking at it.

Some of the undesireables about Alaska:
Volcanoes. (yes, there are a few active ones up there, one close to anchorage, and they get angry sometimes)
Mosquitoes. (I've never seen mosquitoes that could fly away with small animals before till I went to Alaska)
Earthquakes.
Wild Predators.
Cold winters with deep snowpack inland
Short days (more like shallow twilight) for 5 months of the year.
Remote Remote Remote. 40 miles out of Anchorage, you can wander off, and never be seen from again. Also, most everything is imported.

Good things you get:
There is gold in streams just about everywhere up there, if you need some for barter.
You get 4 months of days with great comfortable weather between 60-70F, where the sun doesn't really set. (depending on how far north you are)
GREAT fishing, hunting, wildlife in pristine beauty (for the most part)
Remote Remote Remote.. They won't come looking for you if you if you're on intentional walkabout.
Guns everywhere, as a necessity.
Everyone up there is a survialist, and most are very friendly, if not...."different". They view life very much like we do.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 3,462 Times in 995 Posts

Hey Solo...about the mosquitos. I know your profile says Republic of Texas, but you must not be from the Gulf Coast. We have marsh grass mosquitos so big that even the gators are scared of them!!! LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
Hey Solo...about the mosquitos. I know your profile says Republic of Texas, but you must not be from the Gulf Coast. We have marsh grass mosquitos so big that even the gators are scared of them!!! LOL
I've been pretty much all over the US over the years. A few years took me up there, and I would return in a hearbeat. Michigan and Louisiana mosquitoes came close, but I think Alaskan mosquitoes must bench press caribou to keep in shape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solo_1_2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 14,798 Times in 4,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_1_2 View Post
You think California has earthquakes? Alaska is the king of earthquakes, but I'd still consider that as a great place to BO. No one is going to chide you about carrying a gun anywhere, as (atleast in the areas I've been in, like Kodiak Bay) they actually still have roaming grizzlies. A skeleton of a 22' one greets you in the airport, and it's paw is larger than most people's head. (people that have been there, can validate this) Actually, even with a 357 in hand, you feel pretty inadequate when looking at it.

Some of the undesireables about Alaska:
Volcanoes. (yes, there are a few active ones up there, one close to anchorage, and they get angry sometimes)
Mosquitoes. (I've never seen mosquitoes that could fly away with small animals before till I went to Alaska)
Earthquakes.
Wild Predators.
Cold winters with deep snowpack inland
Short days (more like shallow twilight) for 5 months of the year.
Remote Remote Remote. 40 miles out of Anchorage, you can wander off, and never be seen from again. Also, most everything is imported.

Good things you get:
There is gold in streams just about everywhere up there, if you need some for barter.
You get 4 months of days with great comfortable weather between 60-70F, where the sun doesn't really set. (depending on how far north you are)
GREAT fishing, hunting, wildlife in pristine beauty (for the most part)
Remote Remote Remote.. They won't come looking for you if you if you're on intentional walkabout.
Guns everywhere, as a necessity.
Everyone up there is a survialist, and most are very friendly, if not...."different". They view life very much like we do.
Alaska sounds like heaven to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
the moman

Umm the NorthEast?

We have snowstorms / blizzards, but those are usually non-life threatening so long as you have a source of warmth. Speaking of which we also have plenty of forests w/ wood up here (just make sure you have a wood stove or fireplace and enough wood for the winter and your all set)
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
The Jed.

Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,014 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Georgia isn't bad, you just have hellish heat and some drought, every now and then tornadoes. And you have a good choice of climate, you can go with he mountains, the plains, the middle hilly area, or the swamps, also got some pine forests, but there really isn't a whole lot of problems here. No real bad gun laws, you have to have a permit to carry though, it's pretty stupid. Just stay away from the Savannah River Area and Savannah, big ol Nuclear Power Plant on the River. And Savannah's well its Savannah.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
The Jed.

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Plus we have several Hydo facilities in the Northern Part GA.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
Alaska sounds like heaven to me.
I fell in love with the place the first time I went up there, and then went up there to go fishing every year for silvers and kings therafter, till I moved to Texas.

If remote is desired, this is where I would be, if I could be. This is close to where I used to go. 30 min bush flight to get there.

http://www.remoteproperties.com/yentna/derf.html
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
To the Liberty Tree!

Thanked 1,504 Times in 581 Posts

Placing my vote for the elevated areas of MA. I've been here 29 years, the hurricanes are a non issue. We only have to deal with your occasional thunderstorm and really, how bad is a blizzard or two! I'll take a blizzard any day over a tsunami, earthquake, volcano or tornado.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Fire Fighter

Thanked 1,358 Times in 517 Posts
Default North Eastern Washington

North Eastern Washington is a good area. Employment is not the best but the winds mainly come off the pac. ocean the Cascade Mt. Range is a good natural block from coastal problems and ash from Yellowstone and nucular fallout as the winds come off the ocean most of the time. If you were to pick the Okanogans high ground there isn't flood problems, tornados, minor earth quakes, no huricanes just wildfires but you can deal with them by having your property fire safe. No border problems or high population mess ups. Lots of decent priced land with water, trees ect on it. Plenty of good hunting and the winters are cold but dry. 100 miles from a large city ect. This is why I live here on 40 acres with my own privet lake and nearest neibor 1/2 mile away. Mark
Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Prepared

Thanked 12,707 Times in 5,919 Posts

I'd have said here in the upper-Midwest, but the winters are killer. Tornadoes are the other big threat. Not much you can do except live in a house with a full basement and don't leave anything valuable upstairs during severe weather season.

I'm wondering if somewhere in the Ozarks would be a good seasonal balance. No earthquakes, volcanoes, severe heat or winters, etc.?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeoman Agrarian

Kamiah, Idaho according to Bo Gritz. Thats where he decided to put his community.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I love this forum

Okey Dokey... I'm the OP.... it seems like it might be down to the NE or the NW? Hmmmm?

Granted, I currently live on the IL/WI border. Our biggest threat is Tornadoes. But our Tornado threat is NOTHING compared to Tornado Alley Oklahoma!!! I think Oklahoma people should move here! LOL

Someone mentioned Georgia. It seems like the Weather Channel makes Tornado threats in your region horrible compared to my region. I honestly don't know.

Now... in my region of winter snow country... our winters are common for the -20F, but the -50F does indeed occur often enough!!!

I'm thinking the NW has the disadvantage of Yellowstone. Let's face it folks.... she has been getting some belly aches lately?

How is the summer growing in the NE?

And then again... maybe I am ALREADY in the best place? I don't know. Worthy of discussion.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
the moman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Testing View Post
I'm no farmer, but I do see alot of farms around here (CNY) and thus would say pretty good. Many people are surprised when they find out NY is a very large agricultural state. When you say NY most people thing NYC, ignoring the 95% of the state that is not the city.

Plus if your into nature / want some remote BOL, the Adirondacks are really great. I've been up there quite a few times, hiking and camping and its really beautiful and pristine. Also being close to the Canadian border is really great IMO, just in case for whatever reason you need to leave the country fast.

Unfortunately NY has so many insane and backwards laws concerning just about everything (we were rated very last, eg #50, in the recent study of ranking states by freedom), which is mostly due to the large population center that is NYC, and Albany's passing of laws to regulate NYC, which ends up applying to the whole state, but still, this is where I grew up and don't really want to leave.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Default North East Tennessee

No income tax
Low property tax and cost
No hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, blizzards, liberals, gun grabbers, or other assorted vermine.
Does get warm in summer, but not excessively so, or for extended periods.
Great farmland.
Neighbors that know how to treat folks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruhamey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I love this forum

Tennessee? Really? I would not have thought that! I learn something new everyday!

How's your drought situation? Maybe you don't have one?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
The Jed.

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Testing View Post
Okey Dokey... I'm the OP.... it seems like it might be down to the NE or the NW? Hmmmm?

Granted, I currently live on the IL/WI border. Our biggest threat is Tornadoes. But our Tornado threat is NOTHING compared to Tornado Alley Oklahoma!!! I think Oklahoma people should move here! LOL

Someone mentioned Georgia. It seems like the Weather Channel makes Tornado threats in your region horrible compared to my region. I honestly don't know.

Now... in my region of winter snow country... our winters are common for the -20F, but the -50F does indeed occur often enough!!!

I'm thinking the NW has the disadvantage of Yellowstone. Let's face it folks.... she has been getting some belly aches lately?

And then again... maybe I am ALREADY in the best place? I don't know. Worthy of discussion.

Yes we do have some tornado trouble, but its relative, and depends on which part you live in. Although even Atlanta got hit last year, so its about if you are willing to risk the occaisonal tornado.