Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,753 Posts
Default What do you guy lube a SKS with?

Advertise Here

I have a SKS that I clean inside and out after every trip to the range. I have been using a very light coating of common car axle grease on the bolt faces. The firing pin get cleaned a little less often, but it get a film coating of hoppes gun oil on there too. I've had no problems at all with the rifle after about 4 or 5 trips to the range with 100 or so shots a trip. I also treat this as a deer rifle and I am very careful not to heat up the barrel.

I also clean out the gas piston and put a very film coating of hoppes oil on the surfaces with no problem. If it matters, I only use wolf 154gr ammo. But, have tested winchester, military, and wolf military classic stuff too. No problems.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,013 Posts

Hoppe's. I have always used Hoppe's.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,039 Times in 974 Posts
Unhappy No, no, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
I have a SKS that I clean inside and out after every trip to the range. I have been using a very light coating of common car axle grease on the bolt faces. NO, NO, NO, not on the bolt face, on the carrier grooves that fit the receiver rails, but not on the bolt lugs. Weapon Shield grease is an even better choice
The firing pin get cleaned a little less often, but it get a film coating of hoppes gun oil on there too. Fine on that one I've had no problems at all with the rifle after about 4 or 5 trips to the range with 100 or so shots a trip. It was designed that way, Russian serf special
I also treat this as a deer rifle and I am very careful not to heat up the barrel. +1, heat makes more barrel erosion

I also clean out the gas piston and put a very film coating of hoppes oil on the surfaces with no problem. If it matters, I only use wolf 154gr ammo. But, have tested winchester, military, and wolf military classic stuff too. No problems. That is only because of the slow fire, you don't ol the gas system unless puttnig it into long term storage
The 154 gr. hunting ammo (SP) is not going to have the same point of aim as the 124 gr. more common milfodder.

The bolt lugs should be lubed with nonvolatilizing Weapon SHield
If you can't find that product, PM me, i can get it for you at a discount.

Last edited by Halkon; 03-16-2009 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Bubba popped a fuse, oil in the gas system, WTB?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Target Shooter

I figure use cosmoline. After all it was good enough for storage.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,013 Posts

DUDE!

You cannot LUBRICATE with cosmoline! Cosmoline...ALL OF IT...should be thoroughly REMOVED from your SKS!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Target Shooter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregener View Post
DUDE!

You cannot LUBRICATE with cosmoline! Cosmoline...ALL OF IT...should be thoroughly REMOVED from your SKS!
What? and I thought it was great for the firing pin too. (keeps it from rusting). Besides it smells so good and goes well with peanut butter on a sandwich.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I hold the high ground

CLP is what I use on all my firearms including my SKS.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bravo1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1 View Post
CLP is what I use on all my firearms including my SKS.
yes, finally, someone mentions CLP. break-free is THE only thing you should use. NOTHING beats it.
The Following User Says Thank You to survivor-guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,181 Posts

CLP or Tri-flow. Either works well.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,039 Times in 974 Posts
Thumbs down Bubba says, ya really don't know does ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor-guy View Post
yes, finally, someone mentions CLP. break-free is THE only thing you should use. NOTHING beats it.
Yes that is why SF and SEALS got rid of it right, because it's so good ?????

Let me see, what does the MSDS on it say ??????????

CLPs a bore cleaner, a bore solvent; a "solvent" makes a lousy lube by definition because volatilizes (evaporates). What use is a lubricant that evaporates at high temperatures??? That is why NONVOLATILIZING Weapon Shield or something similar should be used.

Just because the Army had to come up with a compromise for moron GIs (idiotproof doesn't = excellent) doesn't mean i have to choose a poor compromise. Do you really think there hasn't been any advances in fluid technology or petroleum engineering in 35 years.

You Sir, are another Board member who doesn't know cosmoline from peanut butter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Halkon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

Militec...
A little trick I learned was to use a black or dark blue rag to wipe down the rough external phosphated surfaces. White cloth particularly flanel will leave a whitish haze.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Trapper

Mobile 1.

Started using it about six months ago and have had no problems.

I find that Break free tends to form a sticky shellac-like residue after a few months of storage. It doesn't clean that well, either. Hoppes #9 for that!

I'm experimenting with Slick 50 on an AK right now. I hope the the PTFE which bonds with the metal will provide some lubercation even when the gun appears to be dry.

When shooting corrosive ammo, I still clean the barrel with Ivory soap and boiling water, then lube. Old Black Powder habits die hard!

Last edited by Booker; 03-16-2009 at 09:32 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halkon View Post
Yes that is why SF and SEALS got rid of it right, because it's so good ?????

Let me see, what does the MSDS on it say ??????????

CLPs a bore cleaner, a bore solvent; a "solvent" makes a lousy lube by definition because volatilizes (evaporates). What use is a lubricant that evaporates at high temperatures??? That is why NONVOLATILIZING Weapon Shield or something similar should be used.

Just because the Army had to come up with a compromise for moron GIs (idiotproof doesn't = excellent) doesn't mean i have to choose a poor compromise. Do you really think there hasn't been any advances in fluid technology or petroleum engineering in 35 years.

You Sir, are another Board member who doesn't know cosmoline from peanut butter.

Uhmmmm..... moron GIs?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Grounded

Thanked 1,497 Times in 684 Posts

Lubricate with the blood of its victims. *evil laugh*
Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Optimism is Cowardice

Thanked 15,914 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor-guy View Post
Break free here, with some light oil on the bolt. Stopped using the 'windex trick' even - and I use mil surp ammo. The SKS has been going fine for almost two years now.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,521 Times in 1,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I use break free.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Ready, Willing, & Able!!!

Default The blood of tyrants!!!

Peace,
Subs
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Zombnado4:Goat, Sheep

Thanked 13,610 Times in 3,505 Posts

10W-5 motor oil. You will know if your in a real jam when it flames up off the barrel. Sort of like the buzzer on the oven, just a bit more visual.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,753 Posts

I didn't coat the bolt faces. I wasn't sure oil would hold up. I still do the soap and water thing to when cleaning, even though wolf says it's non corrosive. I do know the military ammo will have a higher point of aim than the 154gr, but I like that it is very close to the 30-30 trajectory. That's my hunting round normally.

I grease the sildes and the mating surfaces between the bolt and carrier. One person said that is bad? The SKS is my 1st step into semi-autos. Was thinking of stepping into a colt target grade, maybe.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Hunter

we dont have to worry about you fireing it when out side in a cold ny winter useing greese,in winter that greese your useing will thicken up and probably not even fire.it also collects dirt and grime and powder fouling thing up,thats why i dont like semis up here when the tempature get down there,you should use very thin oil used very lightly,keep the fireing pin clean and mostly dry for cold weather,what works for you in summer wont work in winter.