Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,096 Times in 545 Posts
Default how long can I leave my bare root trees in water?

Advertise Here

I ordered a bunch of bare root fruit and nut trees last fall and they are starting to come in now. The instructions say to let the roots soak for a few hours in water but I haven't the time to get them planted so my question is: how long can I keep the trees in a bucket of water? I got paw paws,blueberries,pecans,almonds,English walnuts and filberts. Thanks all
Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,193 Times in 4,116 Posts

Tree roots breathe air, even when under ground. You can actually drown them by keeping them in water for more than a few hours or if they are in soil that is soaking wet too long.

My advice would be to put the trees in plastic buckets, nursery pots or whatever in potting soil that is moist, not sopping wet, until you can plant them. But I would plant them ASAP.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Question trees

how'd it go? I see it is a pretty old post?

I ask, as "i" Was surfin' round trying to find out. I got a hundred pines, and now it doesn't look GOOD that I will get 'em in the ground.. I think I got 40 or so today.. in, and watered.. I then watered the rest, tried to wrap 'em up tight, in what they came in.. ( looks like peat moss, then brown paper.....)

Might haveta sit now till sun or so.... whatdoya think?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Trapper

Depends on 'how long' few weeks to a month, as long as they are not wet but moist, they should be OK, so long as they are in a cool place and do not get so much light that they enter a or try to enter a good growing phase as they will not have the nutes to do so and so they could be permenantly stunted.

How big are they at the moment and what is stoping you putting them in the final growing position?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Thanked 1,143 Times in 486 Posts

For my own trees I've left them soaking in water as long as overnight with no ill effects.

One thing I have done when I can't get trees into their final planting spot immediately is plant them first in a 5 gallon pot. I leave them like that till after bud break and they are producing real leaves.

I've done this because my planting spot is a drive away, not just steps from the back door. I've left seedlings in pots like this for more than a year when I finally got caught up with planting.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,449 Times in 703 Posts

If you are going to let them soak longer than a few hours add about a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water. this will ensure your roots have some oxygen