Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Snake Charmer II 410 Shotgun

Advertise Here

I just bought this single shot 410 shotgun for backpacking. It's 29 inches long and only 3 pounds! Has anyone else ever used one? Comments?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorCalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

if anyone sees you with that thing hiking in Ca. they are gonna scream and call a swat team to take you away.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,928 Times in 2,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGuy View Post
I just bought this single shot 410 shotgun for backpacking. It's 29 inches long and only 3 pounds! Has anyone else ever used one? Comments?

Had one, and recently sold it to buy ammo. I liked it, I bought it as a boat gun. I just didn't have any real use for it. The .410 is very limited on what it is capable of. But used inside those limits, it's great. If you prefer a long gun for backpacking, then you'll love your snakecharmer(mine was a "Tamer").
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,767 Times in 8,992 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

I hope you are taking a bigger gun with you on your Sierra Nevada trip...

I haven't used this model of shotgun but I do have a .410 single shot shotgun, it sits in a closet collecting dust because all I would use it for would be small game and snakes, when I am out in the woods I take my 30.30 or a 12 gauge.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
This is a great survival forum

i have that gun, except on one side of the stock there is a place to store 5 rounds.
i love that gun and i see it as the best gun you could carry for (in-the-woods) surviving
Old 03-13-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalDude93 View Post
i have that gun, except on one side of the stock there is a place to store 5 rounds.
i love that gun and i see it as the best gun you could carry for (in-the-woods) surviving

Cool. This one has a chamber that holds 4 extra shells inside the but of the gun. I am looking forward to being able to shoot off a few rounds in the woods n not have to drag the extra weight. thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGuy View Post
Cool. This one has a chamber that holds 4 extra shells inside the but of the gun. I am looking forward to being able to shoot off a few rounds in the woods n not have to drag the extra weight. thanks!
i love that gun, but i dont wanna have to stock another guage ammo. 12 guage is enough for me. i had a .410 for a while, it was fun as heck to shoot.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I love this forum

hey if anybody watches "chuck" tv show on monday nights, down in the underground room they go into there are 3 snakecharmer shotguns on the wall with the other weapons. lol. i assume its cuz they look cool and or exotic to the untrained eye.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,058 Times in 982 Posts

Snake Charmers they're reliable, compact and work great on snakes and possums, You can also get buckshot and Slugs for it (if anyone still has ammo) they're handy little shotguns. and they're Kali legal by (I believe) 1/2 inch. I've put close to 300 rds thru one and have never had a problem even with wolfs metallic shells. Worse thing is everyone wants to shoot it when your with friends and naturally they don't bring any .410 ammo oh, well it's fun.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Along this line check out the Thomson Encore .410-45 long colt. Costs a bit more but it's a versatile gun. Has other options due to barrels and styles. Can convert from shotgun to pistol to rifle to muzzle loader.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhunter View Post
Along this line check out the Thomson Encore .410-45 long colt. Costs a bit more but it's a versatile gun. Has other options due to barrels and styles. Can convert from shotgun to pistol to rifle to muzzle loader.
Cool gun, but probably super illegal in california lol
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
VIP Member

I have the Snake Tamer by NEF in .410. Basically it's the same gun but the stock holds 5 shells. I would like to get the survivor stock for it. It's a good little gun. It was a spur of the moment buy, plus I had a bunch of .410 buck and slug ammo. It makes a good little camping gun.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpdogs View Post
I have the Snake Tamer by NEF in .410. Basically it's the same gun but the stock holds 5 shells. I would like to get the survivor stock for it. It's a good little gun. It was a spur of the moment buy, plus I had a bunch of .410 buck and slug ammo. It makes a good little camping gun.

survival stock ? sounds cool , i want it, put up a link

btw this is what i have

http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/HRtamer.jpg
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Prepared

I had one also, wish I still did. It was handy for walking around the woods for squirrel and bird, I didn't have to worry too much about snakes in CT but I think it would be sweet for that. It was real easy to shoot and didn't take a lot to get use to it, I never shot it from my shoulder, too small, just held it out in front and blasted. Be a sweet Jeep gun.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,197 Times in 580 Posts

I've played around with a lot of easily portable/compact/packable shotguns and DO NOT LIKE the .410s. I have found that a 20 gauge single shot, such as the H & R pardner, with a reasonably long barrel, is still very lightweight, is highly reliable and also packs far more punch that does a 410. My H & R 20 gauge with choate stock and fore-end has survival essentials inside the stock/forend, is more accurate than a 410, and has a better chance of hitting what it's aimed at than does a snake charmer 410. Hardly more weight, as well.

Just my deux centimes, of course. I could be wrong. Tom.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

i have the NEF survivor in .410/.45colt great camping gun the 1st one i purchased was the survivor in 2o guage got the 410 for the kid at a gun show not realizing it was the 45 colt also 3 for one just remove the choke tube kdi did shoot a small doe with it this year i only have 2 guns at he moment may get a good 3006 when the budget allows i truly love the new england stuff
Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSurvivalist View Post
I've played around with a lot of easily portable/compact/packable shotguns and DO NOT LIKE the .410s. I have found that a 20 gauge single shot, such as the H & R pardner, with a reasonably long barrel, is still very lightweight, is highly reliable and also packs far more punch that does a 410. My H & R 20 gauge with choate stock and fore-end has survival essentials inside the stock/forend, is more accurate than a 410, and has a better chance of hitting what it's aimed at than does a snake charmer 410. Hardly more weight, as well.

Just my deux centimes, of course. I could be wrong. Tom.
The H & R pardner weighs 8 lbs, the snake charmer weighs 3 lbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalDude93 View Post
survival stock ? sounds cool , i want it, put up a link

btw this is what i have

http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/HRtamer.jpg
I like your stock, oh yeah and what is a survival stock?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM

lots of boats in alaska carry this gun to shot big 200 pound halibut fish in the head before you bring them aboard 18 ft. boats with 8 ft fish can get a little wild. best to quiet them down with a snakecharmer
Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM

I got a Rossi .410 single shot as a first gun. The .410 buckshot should not be underestimated especially in a 3 in shell. I've killed two boars cleanly at distances between 18 and 20 yards. I have since gotten a 12 gauge, but I love the .410 shells because I can carry many more in a smaller space. I was also thinking of getting a snake charmer for backpacking for the same reasons. I do live in Florida though if I was in Grizzly country I would probably get something different. I can't believe those things are legal in California. Also, I wish ammo wasn't so expensive. It is a blast to shoot, but it's my most expensive gun to feed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riverbravo For This Useful Post: