Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Hiker

Default What size wire for snares?

Advertise Here

I've seen lots of websites showing how to make a snare, but strangely, none of them ever mentions what kind of wire to use. I figure I could get more for my money if I bought a roll of wire from the hardware store instead of buying a few pre-made snares.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,180 Posts

It kinda depends on the size of the target animal. Bigger animal,bigger wire. A squirrel or rabbit wouldn't need terribly heavy gauge cable. Common downrigger cable would work fine.Thats the stuff salmon fishermen use to get lures down deeper.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Survivor

http://www.murrayslures.com/snare.html

variety of snares.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 AM
The Bad guy

i use 35/1000 safety wire or the inner threads of 550 cord painted green for my small game snares. for big game, i would say it depends on what kind of snare you are using. the same wire twisted or nylon rope will work fine for some snares, but other snares may require other equipment, like 300lb braided fishing line.

trial and error is the truly the only way you will know what works for you. find you a good starting point, and make changes as the situation dictates.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Quaerite primum regnum De

I know from experience that at least for artic hare, any 8 to 10 lb test, stainless steel wire is best. The stainless steel will last vurtually a lifetime outdoors (no rusting), and the animal will not chew it off. Any kinks or sharp bends in the wire may weaken it to the point where the animal can burst it. By rubbing the wire with something natural such as bark or moss, while setting the snare, you can remove enough of the human scent to prevent the animal from becoming suspicous. This works best with braided wire.
Some metals are too soft or too stiff to be effective. Strings and chord can easily be chewed, so they should only be used with a mechanism which can prevent this, such as a counterweight.
Making your own is less expensive, you just have to keep in mind when cutting them to lenght, that too long is better than too short.
For red squirrel almost any kind of light wire can be used on a squirrel pole.
For fox, lynx, black bear and other simular size preditors, 1/8" - 1/4" aircraft cable. Though I don't have as much experience with these species.
I feel that I should add that all animals, regardless of size and domesticated or not, can be very dangerous when alive in a trap or snare. Always aproach them carefully even if you think the animal is dead. A startled animal will most likely try to make a run for it, and the sudden strain on twisted wire may break it.
This is my first post. Hope it was usefull and not too long.

Last edited by Lynx; 12-17-2007 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Puncuation correction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Crack A Joke, Split A Gut

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

And a good quiet CB long to finish 'em off. I like that stainless steel wire idea! Where could I get some easily?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM

The stainless steel wire can sometimes be hard to find.
I just buy it at a local general store. Many people use it here, so some of the local stores always have some. I havn't been able to find any on the internet. What I use comes on a 1000 meter spool and cost me around $12.00 Canadian. There is no brand name on the spool. I think it's intended purpose is for salt water fishing, so you may be able to find some at a fishing tackle store or a hardware store.

I prefer my 22 to finish them off when necessary, but if I need another option I can use the blunt end of my wooden axe handle as a good club. It doesnt break the skin and leave a blood trail like the blade will. If the snare is set properly the animal shouldn't live long in most cases. I hate to see an animal suffering because of a mistake I made.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 AM
The Bad guy

leaders do work for snares and are easy to find in any store with a sporting goods department and many gas stations in fishing towns. any size leader will work for rabbits or squirrels.

the reason safety wire is efficient for those who arent familiar with it is that it is flexible, thin, yet very strong. it is used primarily for securing bolt heads in situations where vibration can cause the bolt to loosen. we used it on a daily basis on aircraft, and i have seen it do some amazing stuff. i have used it on anything from squirrel poles and twitch up to drowning snares for beaver.

naturally with any type string you will want to use a snare that will kill or suspend the game.

a cb will do the trick, but if youre running a line and plan on continuing to trap there, you may not want to shoot it. you should remain quiet at all times and keep a low profile, and the powder from the shot will remain around the area leaving scent which should be avoided. experienced handlers generally can grab a rabbit and break its neck without the need of thick gloves. however, gloves are a good investment. there are gloves on the market designed to resist animal bites and scratches, i use them in my business and they work great, even with raccoons. otherwise, just grab a stick and do like the cavemen do. of course, if you arent planning on staying in the area, or you arent in a survival situation, a bullet to the brain always does the trick.
The Following User Says Thank You to varmintstalkers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

That's some first class info right here. Thank you gentlemen! I've not done snaring yet, but I'd like to sometime if I get a chance. Do either of you have an idea on the diameter of the wire? I know it wouldn't be very big as that stuff is very strong. I'm guessing something like 18ga or a little over a millimeter?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:10 PM

I don't know much about wire ga., but what I use for arctic hare is around .25 mm, not much thicker than a piece of sewing thread.
I'm not familiar with the term "CB", I am asuming it is just short for, club.
I have also caught grouse by making a snare from a shoestring and tying it to a long slender pole and slowly moving the pole towards the bird untill I can get the snare over it's head. This is quiet and can be done with nearly any kind of wire or string that is strong enough to hold the animal for a few minuites. Takes a little practice though.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

buckshotscamp.com sells really good snares, and the parts to make your own
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 AM
The Bad guy

35/1000 safety wire is pretty much the same size as the inner strands of 550 cord, maybe a little thinner. go to most reputable hardware stores and ask for it specifically they should be able to show you.

buying commercial snares are alot more expensive than using wire, leaders, fishing line, or anything else you can come up with. as i mentioned earlier, ingenuity is most important, but its also half the fun. unless your trapping for commercial purposes, i think you would get more satisfaction out of skipping the prefab.
The Following User Says Thank You to varmintstalkers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Prefab is no problem. Going to find what I can get after Christmas is over with. Thanks for the info gentlemen!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:31 PM
The Bad guy

tisk tisk tisk
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Does anybody know the advantages or disadvantages of using copper (or brass) wire versus steel? I've used both, and I can't really see the main differences, although most books etc. seem to talk mainly about copper (or brass) wire.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM

I have had good results using a wire saw for snaring small game.About $4.99 camping department most any store.(caught a bobcat in a snare once,that was a bit of a surprise. )
Old 03-15-2008, 03:57 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Ace Hardware down in Hope Mills had some 19 ga stainless. Got it for all of $2.99 on sale :-p

Will this stuff work?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Look for downrigger cable,that they use in salmon sport fishing.This stuff is super strong.We've found the where the downrigger cannon balls got hung up in rocks,on the bottom,and the whole board mount,downriggers and all got tore off the boat.Stuff is tough to cut,only thing that will are electrician wire cutters.Cabelas or Gander Mountain would sell it.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:45 PM
SURVIVOR

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 2
Talking

i have braided wire that you hang pictures with. its .20 guage. its a lil easier to use than the solid steel wire and shapes really well