Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,614 Times in 605 Posts
Default Home Depot buckets

Advertise Here

Okay, here's another question for your consideration concerning storing grains. Home Depot have buckets that are food grade (with the arrows and #2 in the middle) but what about the lids for them? Does anyone know if they will seal tightly or do I have to invest in the "gamma" lids?
Thanks again and hope you're having an awesome day.
Joe
Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,396 Times in 3,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Get ya some mylar bags, seal food in those and just toss a standard lid on it
Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 AM

I think the regular lids will seal well enough, however I am pretty sure the home depot orange buckets are NOT food grade, so using mylar bags inside them is important. You don't want your food to come in direct contact with the non food grade plastic.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
The Lord's Servant

Yes, HD buckets here in Kansas are food gradeable. They have the arrows with the #2 in the middle. From what I understand, it is safe to hold food. The buckets also have "HDPE" stamped on it. Does anyone know what that means?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
Yes, HD buckets here in Kansas are food gradeable. They have the arrows with the #2 in the middle. From what I understand, it is safe to hold food. The buckets also have "HDPE" stamped on it. Does anyone know what that means?
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
High-Density PolyEthylene(HDPE) or PolyEthylene High-Density (PEHD) is a polyethylene thermoplastic made from petroleum. It takes 1.75 kilograms of petroleum (in terms of energy and raw materials) to make one kilogram of HDPE. HDPE is commonly recycled, and has the number "2" as its recycling symbol. In 2007, the global HDPE market reached a volume of more than 30 million tons.

Milk bottles and other hollow goods manufactured through blow molding are the most important application area for HDPE - More than 8 million tons, or nearly one third of worldwide production, was applied here. Above all, China, where beverage bottles made from HDPE were first imported in 2005, is a growing market for rigid HDPE packaging, as a result of its improving standard of living. In India and other highly populated, emerging nations, infrastructure expansion includes the deployment of pipes and cable insulation made from HDPE. The environmentally friendly material has benefited from discussions about possible health and environmental problems caused by PVC and Polycarbonate associated Bisphenol A, as well as, its advantages over glass, metal and cardboard.
On a slightly related note, while looking for 18-gallon tote boxes, I found some "recycled plastic" ones at Lowes. and almost purchased but then I caught a whiff. Anything you put in them would end up with whatever that horrendous odor was.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
The Lord's Servant

oktx, so is it safe or not?
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Tough Chick

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
The orange buckets? They are HDPE which means they are made out of the same stuff that milk bottles are. Does that make them safe? Would I trust that a bucket advertised to "container for toys, parts, and almost anything else. Great for washing the car, windows and even the dog. Use it to carry potting soil or firewood. Mix larger quantities of paint with no spatter." would safely contain food for my family? Me personally... no. YMMV.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM

HDPE ='s High Density Polyethelene
Doesn't mean they are food grade
Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
The Lord's Servant

So who sells buckets that can be used for grain storage?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Tough Chick

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn...cd2=1236365968

Google is your friend.

ETA:

You might wait and check back on this site later. It seems you can buy large quantities fairly cheaply from them and all colors except black are FDA approved food grade. They are doing something with the lids, though, but I'd go back there in a month and see what's happening. Might be a good bet for you.

http://www.yankeecontainers.com/Item...WHHCSSL-2.html

Last edited by oktx; 03-06-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Hiker

You could also check out some home-brew sites - lots of fermenters with gasketed lids, plus airlocks and other goodies.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Homebody

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Joekan,

Check out your local Dunkin Donuts. My local one had hundreds of food grade buckets they store flour and donut filling in. I got 5 5 gallon buckets for $1. They also had 1 and 3 gallon sizes. The added bonus was that my car smelled like donuts on the ride home!
The Following User Says Thank You to Eyegor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

The number 2 on the bottom does not make a bucket "food grade".

Quote:
Not All HDPE Containers Are Food Grade

There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the HDPE "2" plastic symbol symbol are food grade containers. This is not true.

If you are considering the purchase of a container from some place other than a kitchen or restaurant supply store, and the container is not clearly labeled as "food safe" or being made of food grade plastic, then you should assume that it is not food grade and you should not brine in it—unless you line it with a food grade plastic bag.

Plastics To Avoid

If you know that a plastic container or bag is not made of food grade material, you should not use it for brining. If you cannot determine the food grade status of a container or bag, you should assume it is not food grade and not use it for brining.

Examples include:

* HDPE white plastic containers of unknown food grade status
* Garbage cans or pails
* Mop buckets
* Laundry detergent or kitty litter buckets
* Dry pet food buckets
* 5-gallon utility buckets from the home center
* Household storage containers
* Garbage bags
* Any container—even if made of food grade plastic—that has been used to store non-food items like chemicals, paint, or detergent
Source:

www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html#bags
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

Here's is a wealth of information on the subject:

http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/.../PFSFAQ-1.html
Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 PM
woefully unprepared

Look for white buckets, those are usually food grade. The manufacturer can tell you based on the lot number or where they came from. It's not the 2 that designates food grade, the HDPE is the same. The difference is the mold release compound, whether it is food grade or not. The toxic stuff is cheaper.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
yes they are safe, just use a mylar bag inside any plastic pail even if it does say food grade in big letters, the orange lids are also alright to use, each one has a rubber gasket in it.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
The orange buckets? They are HDPE which means they are made out of the same stuff that milk bottles are. Does that make them safe? Would I trust that a bucket advertised to "container for toys, parts, and almost anything else. Great for washing the car, windows and even the dog. Use it to carry potting soil or firewood. Mix larger quantities of paint with no spatter." would safely contain food for my family? Me personally... no. YMMV.

milk bottles are biodegradable, they will rot out in a few yrs,the orange buckets will not.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Hippie Stomper!

I use the orange HD buckets and lids, but I use a vacuum sealer for everything that isn't already sealed, before I put it in there. I buy the large bags of rice and beans, open them up and make smaller packages before I put em in, I like the idea of being able to open only say a 1-2 lb. package of rice or beans as compared to a whole 5 gallon bucket full at once. The vacuum sealer I have I bought from wallyworld for $40, works great too. And the orange lids for the HD buckets do come with an o-ring to seal 'em up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to werewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
audentes fortuna juvat

I work in the plastics industry, particulary in the blow molding of HDPE for the drug industry. First off blow molding requires melting plastic anywhere from 320 to 500 degrees F. This may "sanatize" the plastic, but what you have to watch out for is the additives used to make the product. What ever you store in the buckets could absorb it and you end up with contaminated food.
The big number 2 you see is the recycle logo which has nothing to do with what it should store. Food grade buckets that you buy should be sealed. Be careful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdblack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
The Lord's Servant

Just an update on what I did today. Went to Sam's club to stock up. The shelves were full and everyone, in my opinion, wasn't stocking up at all. I went to the pickle isle, and tilted a 5gal bucket of pickles over and noticed on the bottom of it has: HDPE , 3 arrows and the #2 in the middle.
I then went to the bakery and asked if they had any empty buckets I could buy from them or to have. The lady was just about ready to throw one away! She said I could have that one, but that was all she had.
I looked on the bottom (icing came in it), there was on it: HDPE, 3 arrows and the #2 in the middle.
Just thought I would let everyone know. Thanks everyone for your input.
Joe