Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Polls and Surveys
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: What does SHTF mean to you?
Several days without electricity - police, fire, ambulance available; everyone still works 4 1.99%
Few weeks of general unpleasantness - Limited access to gas and food; most still work 5 2.49%
Hurricane/Tornado type event in local area - limited access to food, gas and supplies 10 4.98%
Short-term localized riots - think LA riots; most people still work 4 1.99%
Several Months limited access to everything - Pockets of riots and thugs; some still work 59 29.35%
Years limited access to everything - Very limited and expensive supplies of all types; few work 61 30.35%
TEOTWAWKI - no gov; every person alive is scrounging to stay alive; massive deaths 58 28.86%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,181 Times in 1,272 Posts
Default What does SHTF mean to you?

Advertise Here

I have noticed that everyone seems to have a different definition of SHTF. This seems to always cause some type of problem between various posters within threads simply because one has a simplistic idea of what SHTF means, and the other has a more complicated version.

I just want to try to get an idea of what everyone's idea of SHTF means.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMM123 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 3,462 Times in 995 Posts

SHTF to me means massive loss of jobs, rioting, forehead tatoos....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Thanked 1,245 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
SHTF to me means massive loss of jobs, rioting, forehead tatoos....
LMAO...forehead tattoos.

"Dog and cats living together...mass hysteria!!!!!"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dv0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Thanked 1,245 Times in 544 Posts

With all the talk of complete economic meltdown, martial law, etc, etc...we've completely forgotten about the Zombie Apocalypse. The only real question is, will they be the slow and lumbering, George Romero-style zombies, or the really quick 28 Days Later zombies...everyone best develop a strategy for both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dv0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanked 2,943 Times in 846 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

How 'bout the possibility of any one or combination thereof of all the scenarios listed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scruggs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM

I picked a few weeks of general unpleasantness. I don't subscribe to SHTF, but I'm not opposed to SOMETHING happening, which will, I'm sure, affect my ability to live my life the way I want, to some degree, for a small amount of time.

But really that's an absolute worst case scenario imo.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Hunter

Quickly back to the 18th. Century.

Civilization and technology have peaked as has the ability to exploit resources.

Soon enough the electric grids will go down never to be on again, liquid fuel will be impossible to obtain ever again and there won't even be 1/10th. enough food to go around (at least until enough have died)

and that's the best of possible futures for it will be worse if large scale wars occur.
The Following User Says Thank You to hillsidedigger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Hiker

What a great poll!

When I first started prepping, it was for the 'several days without electricity' type scenario. That would have been SHTF for me then.

After a couple months of learning and prepping, the second and third scenario became SHTF because the first was prepared for and easy to handle. Getting ready for a couple weeks of being on our own took a lot more learning, practising and buying things for.

Now, after about 1.5 years of hard work, I think I could handle small riots in cities (since I'm not in one) and a couple months of limited access to things.

The last 2 cases are my current SHTF situation. I don't think that will ever change though because both cases mean the world as we know it now is over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HFTB-PFTW For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I love this forum

I'm thinking it will be the end of the world as we know it, given that the collapse is hitting many countries simultanously, it's not a localized US problem.

Perhaps a new one world govt will give rise after the dust settles. Assuming we don't bomb ourselves back into the stone age in the process.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM

So from the looks of this poll a Katrina type strom is not SHTF.....

To me I look at it this way....The store stock roughly 2 to 3 day of food for NORMAL shopping, if there is a panic the store is cleared out in hours....a couple more days and the sheepal are out of food and shortly there after they get hard up and stupid...to me this is when the SHTF....This is when we will have to be on guard or hav already bugged out... Just my 2 cents
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxIronWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Hiker

What does SHTF mean to me,well about 8 or so years ago i had one of those awake vissions(for the lack of a better term)it was right after a bad break-up and i was trying to put my life back togather anyways,i was sitting on a log next to the creek(my favorite place to go)when i felt real dizzy all of a sudden,when i opened my eyes the scenery had changed from peiceful fiverbank to burning cityies,dead and dying people everywhear,i hurd a voice say "this is what will be if people dont change thear ways"then i saw myself as a child and progressively getting older and i could hear my thoughts as i was thinking them at that moment in my life and i realized what was behind me always bying camping gear,guns,fishing equipment,and such.then i saw myself as i would be 10 years older than i was at the time,walking up a hill to someplace ive never ben to before but that i already ben to (in the fucture i think)when the voice came agian and sead "gather your true friends around you and prepare"thats when i looked back and recognized the true friends i have now and people ive never met yet but some how i counted them as friends also,and we were heading for a place of safty.
i know that some of you out thear will think of me as nutts but so far all the feelings of what is to come have ben comming true.if it is set to be 10 years in my fucture,that has ben 8 years ago then i personally think i have 2 years before the vission i had plays out.
ive ben prepairing ever since that time,many friends i have told about this have considered me to be a loon but some i told are prepairing also(i guess i found some of my tru friends)the others i have yet to meet.
its strange that it seems that some current events seem so familular to me as if it has some how already happened,like the market crashing,and 911,and this war we are in now.its like it has already happened and its just a memory.
please i dont claim to be a prophit or anything like that,so please dont ask.
i just wonder if anybody has had the same expeirence thats all.
thanks for letting me ramble. ms,hillbilly
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ms,hillbilly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,998 Times in 3,333 Posts

I think that we could all agree that SHTF means facing a dangerous situation on your own for a "while" (as individually defined) without assistance from authorities.

p.s. If the authorities are only a 911 call away, then its just a normal emergency. ha ha
Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 AM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,427 Posts

I put number one on that list.
Reason is that it does not have to be a catastrophe for people to have a hard time.
TSHTF in many ways for different folk so therein lies my reasoning.
If TSHTF is at a level where every person alive is scrounging etc, then you will find that the $hit hit the fan a long while back.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM

TxIronWolf has a good point. I'm under the impression that if people have to go without for more than a few days it will lead to TEOTWAWKI. We've seen this happen here in lesser degrees but imagine a nationwide shortage, bad bad news.

I think I'm here partially for the same reason as ms,hillbilly. I've felt something stirring for a long time and look here we are discussing it. How many people do you know, friends and associates that you have had these types of conversations with? Nearly everyone in the circles I travel in. My uncle who was against firearms in general just bought one.
Just another indicator of the general think, even among the sheeple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feralhuman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,181 Times in 1,272 Posts

It seems that most people are on the chaotic end of the SHTF spectrum. 85%+ so far. However, you can see that if one of the end-of-the-world types is talking to a tornado type that you could easily get your wires crossed during the conversation.

At least most of us (so far) seem to be on the same general page. Knowing that 99% of human population can make it through the basic short-term loss of power and/or services is what I think drives us to realize that a true SHTF is in reality a long term problem that we may at some point be faced with. The type of SHTF that will cause the unprepared or unadaptable to perish in short order without some form of outside support.

I feel all warm and fuzzy...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Hunter

i'm just about there RIGHT NOW living in michigan.. (but, i STILL have a job..)
Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
VIP Member

I voted for Several Months

In my opinion it could be, "all of the above" and one thing could lead to another.

Wiff
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Target Shooter

I answered "Few weeks of general unpleasantness" because that's what seemed the best for what I have in mind. It could also be a few weeks spanning into several years. Storms, blizzards, volcano's, etc...I don't consider SHTF because I know eventually they'll be over no matter how bad it gets in the mean time. Those are more "Emergency Situations" to me.
Then again, catch me in the right mood and I'll tell you that my mother-in-law visiting with her mostly senile husband is a SHTF situation. :P
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,948 Times in 12,714 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Though there are several scenarios that could fit the "SHTF" description my underlying view is that it has to do with some form of societal upheaval, violence, unrest, and a governmental power grab. I picture rioting, military patrols on American soil, high unemployment, marshall law (another term for the elimination of our Constitutional Rights and Freedoms), food shortages and bread lines, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM

I find the shtf, to inevitably be the ending of the human races evolution, no space program, nothing, ending of our existence.