Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,072 Times in 451 Posts
Default In-ground shelter?

Advertise Here

If you owned a piece of property out in the middle of nowhere how would you put an in-ground shelter on it? How long do you think it would take to build one if you had only your family and yourself for labor and could haul small loads of materials in with you each time you went there to work on the shelter? What would you build it out of and how would you go about it?

To my way of thinking, an in-ground shelter would have the advantage of secrecy because it can be well hidden. But if you all think it's better to just bring a tent to the property or to build a cabin then tell me why?

I was thinking of putting an in-ground shelter on my homestead once I move or buying property out in the middle of nowhere, in addition to the homestead, and putting one in. Maybe both. Just not sure how much it would cost or which materials to use. Hoping to get ideas from this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to mangyhyena For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Wild Wild... East

There are a lot of suplimentar questions. First, what will be the purpose of that sheter. Be cause, if you want a fallout shelter, that will cost much more than a basic shelter, be cause you must use concrete & stuff.
Second, how big do you want it?
I think a basic underground shelter can be done with local materials, mainly logs and dirt. You must buy only few plastic sheets to isolate the roof.
If you want a fallout undeground shelter, with air protection & stuff, all what you want you will paid. Concrete (cement + sand), metal reinforcement, air filtration and a LOT of other such things who cost.
And, i believe a basic shelter for a family can be done only with hand tools in few days (3, maybe 4), but a strong fallout one need much more time.

My thoughts,
Bogdan
PS I forgot, if that piece of land is your property, i will made a permanent underground shelter instead of a tent or a cabin.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,513 Times in 737 Posts

I would definitely install an in-ground shelter. If I could afford it, something from Utah Shelter Systems would be my first choice.

Without that kind of cash, you could do it yourself, but it would take months with the resources you mentioned. You could go half way.... rent a large digger to create the hole, and send him on his way. Build what you plan, and then back fill by hand. Get some friends over, some pizza burgers and drinks, and have at it. Getting a large enough hole is the hard part. Don't skimp. Space is important when you are stuffed into it with other bodies.

Might want to get an old used trailer to have onsite while doing the work.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,371 Times in 6,947 Posts

Party might not be such a great idea. The more people that know about it the more who may come knocking on the dug out door when it's time to bug out to it.

You can rent small bob cat diggers from many tool rental places. Get an old shipping container and drop in the hole and go from there. I see different size shipping containers all over the place. Heck there are some places that would probable give them away to get them off the property.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,549 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I have seen old rail road ties used , they dug a hole and stacked the ties like you would bricks. Every new layor they used a long drill bit and drilled a hole through the ties and ram a short peice of rebar to hold it all together. The floor was made the same with layed rail road ties. The only bad thing I can say is that the guy that built it did not put drainage below the floor so no matter what time of the year it is there is about 3 foot of standing water, good idea gone bad.

I have looked in to stacked old tires filled with earth, you would do pretty much the same thing as was done with the ties but with Tires.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:32 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,892 Times in 5,740 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

While I would prefer a nice concrete bunker, P-15 fiberglass shelter, or corregated pipe shelter, a buried or bermed wooden shelter is better than nothing.

Nuclear War Survival Skills has plans for expedient shelters, as well as airpumps and such.

http://www.homelandcivildefense.org/.../s141p1407.htm
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM
This is not survival.

Thanked 1,829 Times in 666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Instructional Post Outstanding Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 3

Hey guys, I dropped $65 dollars today for the main building materials needed to build a bermed 7x4x6 outbuilding. Sandbags and 4 pin gaucho (barbed) wire. The building is going to be dug into a west facing slope and feature a 7 inch living roof. Here is some info on my building method.

I chose earthbags because this out building is going to house my generator sets, which tend to be louder than I would like them. In essence, this is going to be the equivalent of burying my generator under 90 cubic feet of dirt. Should stop sound better than cinderblock, cost about 1/4 as much and the bags are filled with the ground shale and sand stone from my well's bore hole. After placing the bags and plastering the hell out of them, I have the ability to add another water barrier on the sides and bury the whole darned thing if it doesn't shut my generators up completely.

There is a great book on underground building: The $50 and up underground house book. This guyhas done alot of underground buildings and some of his design ideas are GREAT, such as detached berms for drainage, indoor/outdoor BBQ pits, stepped building to allow more light into the structure.

Another interesting method is earthship building, which used rammed earth in old tires to create a waterproof area against a berm. Once above grade, people switch to starwbales, earthbags, ramed earth, concrete, whatever.

One interesting thing I have seen in this area is cargo containers buried in dug out hillsides. Fire proof, storm proof, wind proof, but I have a funny feeling they will eventually rust out. I'll let yall know in 50 years. I think the cargo container idea is a good one as a base, but alot more could be done, such as concrete reinforcement, waterproofing, drainage, ventelation, etc...

There is one area on the property where we have spoken of eventually building a bermed home. This is something for 20 or 30 years down the line, I imagine, but that doesn't stop me from reading about it.

-g
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guerrilla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,911 Times in 10,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

i like the buried cargo container idea, take it a step further and either spray the inside with a preventative agent or use a POD system container which I believe is fiberglass or plastic
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 AM
This is not survival.

Thanked 1,829 Times in 666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Instructional Post Outstanding Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 3

Dwind, the rust would be coming from outside, so fiberglass or plastic would be a better bet. A plastic barrier between the real wall and the real dirt is always needed, I'm using 6mil black plastic sheeting. Cheap, reliable.

-g
Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Wild Wild... East

Instead of plastic, use pitch. Long live if is not under direct sun shines :D.
Also, the best in my opinion are silicon paints.
But reinforce the roof, be cause shpping container have strong points on the corners, and the roof ca colapse under the weight of dirt.

Bogdan
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Barefoot Hillbilly

I'm thinking about making one, But I was thinking about carving out a peice of a steep hillside. I was planning on putting down small logs across the open area and then put clay on top of that to fill in the gaps and keep in heat then on top of that a tarp, or I will put it on the inside. It would be easier to do then to dig out a big hole and have to transport lots of dirt out of a small tunnel. It can also be done by just using a small cat and a shovel.