Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-02-2007, 06:04 PM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,072 Times in 451 Posts
Default Survival walking staff suggestions?

Advertise Here

After I move and am down to just one job, I have projects I plan to do. One of them is a hiking staff outfitted for survival. I have friends who hike and I've talked with them about this product. They've asked me to make them one and are willing to pay me for it. I doubt I'd charge much above the cost of materials as they are friends of mine and I'd be more interested to see what suggestions they have for it once they start using it next spring than making a buck off them. But if they like it and more importantly use it, then I'd be willing to put these together and put them up for sale for a profit on E-Bay once I have more time on my hands. One thing my friends mentioned was that without a doubt they want a large blade built into this staff, whether it's legal or not, preferably concealed. My friend was walking a trail and saw a mountain lion cross the trail several hundred yards ahead. It freaked him out and he turned around and went back to his car.

The staff I have in mind would be metal pipe that is hollow inside done in 3 sections. I plan to use my blade from my sword cane inside the bottom section. I'll weld the blade inside a double thread piece and then simply slide the bottom section over the blade and screw it to the double thread piece, concealing the blade. If ever I need the blade, say if a bear or puma shows up on the trail, I'd just unscrew the bottom pipe and remove it to reveal the blade and have a spear of sorts. (where I live it is illegal to carry a firearm on the trail and we have bears and mountain lions) The middle and top sections would hold survival supplies. Space blanket, knife, fire starters, energy bars or freeze dried meals, meds, and such would be in those sections. On top of the handle would be a compass.

I'd put "plugs" that are attached to a string or wire inside the storage compartments. The plug would go down the pipe first, leaving the string or wire going up the pipe. Then I'd put the supplies down on top of the plug, again leaving the string or wire coming out the pipe. When the supplies are needed all I'd have to do to get them out is pull the string or wire and the plug would come up, pushing the supplies out for use.

Does this product already exist? If so would you post a link? And do you all have any other ideas for it? What supplies would you put down the pipe? How big around would you want the pipe to be? Is there any reason this wouldn't work that you can point out?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments. Love this site and all the help and info I get here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mangyhyena For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Hiker

How bout making one that can function as a blowgun? That would be cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marooned For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,901 Times in 765 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding video Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 4

I would settle for a telescopic one that had a nice storage space inside. One that was similar to ones that you can use for a bivy pole.

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josiah922 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,938 Times in 5,746 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Some similar items that might give you some ideas.

http://www.luxurylite.com/ssindex.html

Can be found cheaper than factory. http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIV...20PAGE%201.htm

http://members.shaw.ca/wwseb/define.htm

http://www.trailgeartradingpost.com/

Last edited by Jerry D Young; 12-02-2007 at 07:43 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jerry D Young For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,409 Times in 6,954 Posts

Saw some hollow tube type telescopic walking sticks at wal mart for about $9.00 was thinking of getting one to use as a tracking stick.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
The end is near.

Jerry, the THE WILDERNESS WALKING STAFF (3rd link down) looks even better than what I had in mind. And the price is amazing. $20.00 seems way too low for what you're getting.

The other two seemed more like weapons to me than an actual survival staff meant to help you get through 2 or 3 days lost in the wilderness. But they were cool and gave me a few ideas for arranging the weapon part of my staff.

The last link has a good stick, but the price is fairly high, in my opinion. And the supplies aren't exactly up to snuff, IMHO. But it looks good and would work.

I got an idea or two from looking at those staffs. Thanks for that.

One thing that I would like to do when I go to put one of these together is to include a laminated manual inside of it. The manual would give an explanation or two for the use of the included survival items. And I can't help but to think members here could come up with survival supplies that would cover the maximum number of contingencies. Put those with the manual covering their uses and I think the staff could be valuable to a hiker.
And it looks like I should plan to make one that can convert to a shorter walking stick for around-town use. Shouldn't prove too difficult.

But that Wilderness Walking Staff looks hard to beat, if not impossible. It has almost everything in it and at a price I could never match. Heck, the supplies included inside the staff look like they'd be more expensive than $20.00. I have no idea how that staff can be offered at that price, unless I read the price wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I like the blowgun idea but I wonder if a breakdown slingshot wouldn't be more practical. Gave me something to think about and I appreciate that. Thanks again, all.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,938 Times in 5,746 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I really hate to say it, but the $20.00 isn't for the stick. It's for an e-book to tell you all about one, how to make it, and how to use it.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I like this one, but it doesn't say how long it is. I'm 6'4" and I need a tall stick. I wouldn't get the survival kit they're selling, though. I would put together my own.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,549 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

My brother has a peice of 1/2 inch electrical conduit metal pipe with a SKS spike bayonet that slides in the end, you can remove it an duse the tube as a blow gun but you have to make the darts yourself. We never used it as a survival staff but it makes one sick wicked spear.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM
This is not survival.

Thanked 1,829 Times in 666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Instructional Post Outstanding Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 3

Chopstick darts. Kill it with one, eat it with two.

A friend got me a set of screw together collapsing chopsticks for my birthday. Was thinking of the way they screw together for the knife into speak idea, then thought, oh heck, the chopsticks would fit perfectly in a walking stick.

-g
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,912 Times in 10,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

LOL!
How about a Y tip at the top for use as a shooting stick?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM

I made my own out of PVC pipe and a discarded aluminum broom handle that fit nicely inside the 1" PVC. I didn't want a spear attachment, and made it into an animal snare....by using plastic covered steel cable inside the pipe and looped at both ends. The steel cable was the most expensive item, and as I recall, a 12' length of it was $3.

Overall length is 5'. The inserted broom handle adds to the strength and cuts down on the flex of the PVC pipe. It works as a walking stick, an animal snare and a shooting stick. There's no room inside of the pipe for storage, but since it's so light in weight, you could probably add some sort of storage bag on the exterior.

I don't think that I'd go up against ANY large wild animal with ANY walking stick/spear! With the snare cable, however, dog-sized animals down to snakes are relatively easy to catch. (I caught what I thought was a rabid dog in my neighborhood, but it turned out that the pooch was "frothing" from having eaten a bar of soap! So far, I've caught about 8 rattle snakes with it, which is the main reason that I made it.)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
Saw some hollow tube type telescopic walking sticks at wal mart for about $9.00 was thinking of getting one to use as a tracking stick.
I bought two of them :D
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwind View Post
LOL!
How about a Y tip at the top for use as a shooting stick?
I have a wrist strap on mine....i hang the barrel through the strap and it acts as a shooting stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to badkarma For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

One I have is an former Austrian Military ski pole it is rather heavy metal for a ski pole but sharpens up nicely and would make a nice metal rod to beat something with.
The Following User Says Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,181 Posts

I used to carry a staff when I used trap.I copied the end-tool from something I saw in Fur-Fish-Game Magazine. It was kinda a Y-shaped thingy that had a side mounted hook welded on it. The Y shape allowed me to pin down a trapped animal,so I could release it if it was a non-target animal,ie; cat,dog,etc. The hook thing on it let me retreive traps underwater,without sticking my arm down there. I still have it around here somewhere.
I kinda thought about mounting threaded end on a staff,so stuff could be screwed onto it.One thing that comes to mind is a power-head,used in diving.It doesn't look like a weapon,looks like short piece of pipe.It would be strictly defensive,because anything it contacted would have to be extremely close.But if something did come in your range,its dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 AM
The end is near.

Hmmm, how about an elastic wrist strap that could double as an arrow or bolt launcher? Seems like a V shaped notch on the side of the staff would allow the arrow to sit while the elastic strap (Same or thicker elastic as a wrist rocket?) would propell the arrow or bolt. I know it wouldn't hit as hard as a bow or crossbow, but maybe it would hit hard enough to put a small something on the table.

Great ideas and explanations of staffs you all have made in the past. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mangyhyena For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,912 Times in 10,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

or a shark bang stick. can load a 12 gauge shell into it for point blank use against bears.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

5 to ten for carring a firearm on public land.
The Following User Says Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer

Default staff

Well I want something solid like hickory or oak. No hollow stuff for me. I want to be able to swing it like a bat as well as use it as a spear. Of you want a spear slip a cold steel bushman or min bushman on it. Another optoin is to drill the end an epoxy a threaded arrow insert and slip your choice of arrow point on it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevelutah For This Useful Post: