Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Advertise Here

Check this place out http://www.knifetests.com/ see what fits the budget I think you will probably end up with a Cold Steel of some sort because of how cheap they are new and used.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,074 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
MORAS ARE LIKE KITCHEN KNIVES. your gerber is fine bro, dont let these guys bring ya down.
the knives you use in your kitchen are copies of the knives that were traded to the Indians and mountain men who lived in north America when it was a real wilderness and not the tamed land we have now. Butcher knife and 'hawk were the tools of the wilderness.

I would feel well equipped with one of a half dozen of the knives in my kitchen. A couple of them are a bit large but I could make them work. Cold Steel 1095 and Gerber's stainless can't hold a candle to my Kitchen gear.

The Mora has been keeping folk alive for more than 100 years. Issued to the Sweede army as a survival blade and required equipment in most of the European and many of the American survival schools. It is exactly the same steel used by Cold Steel, 1095, and it will do anything a Cold steel blade will do. Most of it better because you do not have the rediculious demensions to deal with.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Great knife is an Opinel No.10
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
There's no "I" in Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Check this place out http://www.knifetests.com/ see what fits the budget I think you will probably end up with a Cold Steel of some sort because of how cheap they are new and used.
That KnifeTests guy is completely incompetent, I'm sorry to say. Watch him chop down a tree with a knife - he does it wrong. Watch him do a destructive test on the RTAK II knife - he puts wood in a vise, sledghehammers the knife into the wood (which cannot split due to the vise!) and continues to hammer it until the blade of the knife fatefully reaches the vise jaws; with the following strike the blade of the $100 USD knife dutifully shatters in two. ("Ontario RTAK II Destruction test Part 4" video).

Compare to Nutnfancy, who does demonstrations right, does not gratiutously destroy good equipment, talks and shows his face.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,777 Times in 872 Posts

This question has come up a few times recently I posted this on another thread seems to apply here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
For a chopper / machete Kershaw Outcast Knife would be an excellent way to go. I have one that serves as my camp knife, Along with a BK-2 that I carry. There is a good review of it at Kershaw Outcast Knife Review

There are lots of excellent high end knives out there. I have a very few. Some cost so much to be honest I cringe every time they get scratched. IMO you do not need to spend a fortune for a real world hard use knife. Men that really use combat / survival / fighting blades just don't have a lot of money to spend on high end blades. For 25 years Ethan Becker has been designing top quality knives for the working man. Knives that work for a living. Honest clean functional indestructible designs, that are just plain brutal to anything they come up against. Combine that with the fact that since 1942 during WWII when a KA-BAR became the Marines official combat knife, KA-BAR has the proven production skills to produce premier quality hard use knives that have served American warriors in every war we have been in since. KA-BAR not only set the standard by which all other combat / survival / fighting knives are measured. KA-BAR created the standard. Becker's designs have raised that standard to a whole new level of performance and value. Easily equal to many knives costing six or seven times as much. You will be hard put to find a better hard use knife at any price. IMO for under $100 no one comes even close. Take a look at any of these KA-BAR / BECKER knives;
KA-BAR / Becker BK-2 "Becker Campanion"
KA-BAR / Becker BK-7 "Becker Combat Utility"
KA-BAR / Becker BK-9 "Becker Combat Bowie"

I agree on a 4 to 5 inch blade is ideal for a survival knife. After that the blade gets to cumbersome for a lot of field craft needs. That is why my Outcast is my camp knife and the BK2 is the knife on my hip.

I also agree that you do not want to bet your life on a cheap knife. On the flip side there is absolutely no reason or need to go with only a high dollar knife. Especially for someone who is new to knives. It is better to get a good quality knife that you are not afraid of using. With a Becker you can learn what a real quality survival knife is and should be capable of. That is why I suggested the BK-2. though many prefer the 7 inch blade of the BK 7 and it may be an option for you.

Again this is not a cheap knife, as I have said both KA-BAR and Becker have established their reputations by providing top of the line quality knives at affordable rates. IMO it is the perfect knife for someone new to knives and any skilled woodsman who appreciates quality over image. Get the BK2, use it, get to know it. It will set the standard that you will judge all other knives by and than be the one that you will use when you want a really good knife you can bet your life on. Than if you decide to invest in a more expensive knife you will know what a good quality knife should be. You will see that BK2 compares favorably to many much more expensive knives

Overall length: 10.5"
Cutting Edge Length: 5.25"
Blade Width: 1.75"
Weight (knife only): 14.6 ounces
Drop point blade style, flat grind
Maximum thickness: .25"
1095 Carbon Steel, 58 Rc.
Removable Grivory handle slabs
BK 2 hard shell black glass filled nylon sheath.: $ 56.46

RC-6 w/ Molded Sheath
Overall length: 11.75"
Cutting Edge Length: 5.75"
Blade Width: 1.56"
Weight (knife only): 11.8 ounces
Drop point blade style, full flat grind
Maximum thickness: .188"
1095 Carbon Steel, 57 Rc.
Removable lined Micarta handle slabs
RC-6P - Plain Edge with molded sheath: $ 200.34

A bit of an aside, For a survival knife use the Becker line of knives are so popular with many woods man that several have developed survival kits that fit into their hollow handle that can hold essential survival items. These survival kits can be used in most any Becker knife as most of their handles are all essentially the same My BK-7 Kit Knife SASS

Becker BK2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 AM

a camillus aviators survival knife. the USAF issued type. in SERE i beat one to hell with logs and dug holes with it and after i cleaned it up it looked exactly the same as when i had recieved it (it was a training issue item so it had repeatedly seen similar misuse). i suppose its a shorter, serrated back version of a ka-bar? and theyre under $30!

Last edited by yelowrain53; 04-24-2009 at 04:51 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelowrain53 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalist_USMC View Post
never was a fan of the kbar, blades to long and the hand guard gets int he way, more of a fighting style knife than a survival tool, but thats just my 2 cents
Eggzactly. The Kabar: most over rated knife on the planet. You can pretty much tell who the posers are by their recommendation that the Kabar is a useful knife for just about anything. In fact, except for fighting, it is just about useless and it's a far weaker knife than any mentioned below.

Far better choices, in no particular order:

- Becker BK-7, BK-9, Campanion, Crewman (note the spelling on the Campanion - yea, it took me a while to catch it too)
- Gerber Prodigy or LMF II
- Cold Steel SRK, Master Hunter

None of the above are over $70 or so, some are even less. I got my SRK for about $35 IRC, same with the Master Hunter; both were "Seconds" bought direct from Cold Steel (which is a great deal btw).
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,286 Posts

There is absolutely no beating Moras for bang for the buck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightside_Eclipse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
That kind of statement is obviously from someone that has a limited knowledge of how to use a knife.

And that is just my 2 cents
Funny, I was going to say the same about you, sir. I agree with him about the Ka-bar.

Why don't you teach us know-littles what you think we lack? What about his post did you disagree with?

rich

Last edited by randkl; 04-24-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
the knives you use in your kitchen are copies of the knives that were traded to the Indians and mountain men who lived in north America when it was a real wilderness and not the tamed land we have now. Butcher knife and 'hawk were the tools of the wilderness.
Well put, sir! That's why my fav survival knife/hunting knife is a 6" blade Old Hickory butcher knife. The Mora #1 is a classic, but my Old Hickory has been around the block. Never failed me.

rich
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM

It might have been mentioned already, but check out:

www.bladeforums.com and www.knifeforums.com

There is a wealth of knowledge there.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Noman

Thanked 1,371 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo View Post
watch nutnfancy on youtube. He reviews lots of knives for survivalism.
+1 Nutnfancy's Youtube channel is an excellent source for knife and gear reviews.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Hiker

I support the claim that MORA is the greatest knife for the amount of monney you pay for it but can also sugest these ones:

Sami knife
http://www.samekniv.no/index.php?opt...d=52&Itemid=67

Fallkniven F1, A1...
http://www.mamut.net/gjknives/
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
This question has come up a few times recently I posted this on another thread seems to apply here
the thickness is incorrect in your quote for the Beckers- they are only 3/16 too

I'm looking for a good survival knife- has too be carbon steel, 5" to 7", prefer plain edge flat grind. Right now Ontario RAT 5 or 7 is in the lead. The Beckers are nice but pricey. Probably go with the RAT 5, for major chopping I plan to have a tomahawk or hatchet or machete, always carry more then 1 edged tool.
RAT does offer the new RC-5 in .25 but it's about double the cost of the original RAT 5.
I liked the Gerber LMF until I saw that it was stainless, same thing with the SRK from Cold Steel- it only comes in stainless now (BAD MISTAKE).
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ78 View Post
the thickness is incorrect in your quote for the Beckers- they are only 3/16 too.
No you are wrong. I posted the spec's from Tomar's web page along with the link for you to verify if you wish. The specs on that webpage are the same as both of the BK2's in my hand. The BK2 is 1/4 inch aka a quarter inch or .25 inches thick just as stated in my original post

Quote:
Overall length: 10.5"
Cutting Edge Length: 5.25"
Blade Width: 1.75"
Weight (knife only): 14.6 ounces
Drop point blade style, flat grind
Maximum thickness: .25"
1095 Carbon Steel, 58 Rc.
Removable Grivory handle slabs
BK 2 hard shell black glass filled nylon sheath.: $ 56.46
So I am unsure what you base your misinformation on obviously you have never had one in your hand. I have two right in front of me.

Along with a couple of others
I suggest that you not correct anyone unless you actually know what you are talking about

Quote:
The Beckers are nice but pricey.
If your life is not worth the $56.00 of a BK2 I dunno what to say. I know that there are other excellent quality knives made from the same 1095 steel costing eight times as much as a BK2 that are not better than a Becker in any way.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the great knife debate. I carry a hatchet so was looking for a fixed-blade knife that only needed to do what a hatchet couldn't, at little extra weight or cost. The Mora seemed the obvious choice. I bought two for $32+ including shipping, one for each of my bug-out bags.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 PM

S.O.G. Seal Pup Elite $69
S.O.G. Jungle Primitive < $35
S.O.G. Tactical Tomahawk @ $30
The Following User Says Thank You to jkbduck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbduck View Post
S.O.G. Seal Pup Elite $69
S.O.G. Jungle Primitive < $35
S.O.G. Tactical Tomahawk @ $30
I think the primitive is one of if not SOG's worst knife. It may look very wicked and tactical but it feels thin and flimsy especially the tip. IMO if you want a larger chopper / survival blade you would be much better off getting a Kershaw D2 Outcast or a Becker BK7 or BK9. All are a bit more but you will not regret spending a couple extra bucks especially if the day comes that your life depends on having a good knife to get you through. The Kershaw D2 Outcast, Becker BK7, BK9 while very affordable compare very favorably against knives costing much more than double their price
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM

I own a LMF and a Kabar Becker BK2 companion. They are both wonderful choices but I take the Becker when it's wilderness time and the LMF is park of my assault rig.
I highly recommend them both.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
the thickness is incorrect in your quote for the Beckers- they are only 3/16 too

I'm looking for a good survival knife- has too be carbon steel, 5" to 7", prefer plain edge flat grind. Right now Ontario RAT 5 or 7 is in the lead. The Beckers are nice but pricey. Probably go with the RAT 5,
I thought that the RAT knives cost much more than Beckers but I do not like to speak if I am not sure. But after checking I did confirm both the RAT 5 and RAT 7 in any configuration both cost near or over double the $56.00 of a Becker BK2 so your post in it's entirety makes no sense at all. If you think $56.00 is too pricey how is a $101.97 to $134.97 for a thinner RAT blade more affordable?
The Following User Says Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post: