Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM
"Paranoid" prepper

Default 00 buckshot, or 000 buckshot for hd?

Advertise Here

I like to use my Remington 870 for home defense, who doesn't right? I have several questions with this. Should I use 00 buckshot, or 000 buckshot? I know 000 has more pellets but are smaller right? and the 00 has less pellets but bigger I am pretty sure. I don't need to worry about hitting anyone with either, because my family and I have a plan all worked out in a hd situation.

Also, should I use a turkey choke with buckshot for a much tighter patter, or will buckshot destroy the choke?

All replies are greatly appreciated, thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to shwnd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
The Jed.

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,014 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I prefer a 1 Buck-2 Buck for HD they have more projectiles, first shot is birdshot ( at point blank it's lethal and won't go through the walls of my shi**y home), if they survive that its a dose of buck for them, and 000 buck doesn't have more pellets, has fewer and larger.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JedLMF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 PM

I use 00 Buck simply because, of the sizes of buckshot, it goes on sale more often than the others. Either 000 or 00 should be fine though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nutinajar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
"Paranoid" prepper

Thanks to both of the replies so far.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Tacoma WA

I use 00. Seems to do well in testing and I practice with it so I'm used to it.

I used to use lead BB's, but I was worried about under-penetration. Its quite possible they will perform well, but I have seen lots of data contradicting this. My dad and I argue this point endlessly but I haven't tested the ammo myself so I stick with what I am confident with.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesterTac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,165 Times in 3,077 Posts

Neither...and since you're shooting within 20 yards an imp cyl would be the best choke. If you happen to be shooting beyond that distance it may not be considered self defense, especially when they're trying to jump over your back fence--castle doctrine usually doesn't apply and you may be charged and/or sued.

Like the man said, #2 (.270/12.5 oz) or better still #4 (.240/20.3 oz) buck, twice and three times the number od pellets then #00 (.330/8.12 oz).

Just take the 10 yard spread as that is the usual length of a hallway. With cylinder you’re throwing a basketball down the hall, modified a soccer ball and full a softball baseball. I would like to have as many effective sized pellets as possible, within that spread as I can because I can assure you from first hand experience your adrenaline will be pumping and your aim will be off slightly—however slight depends by the amount of training you’ve taken.

Presented for your edification:

A CHOKES EFFECTIVE RANGE (Expressed in yards)

…………………….…IDEAL……....EFFECTIVE
CHOKE………....RANGE…........RANGE

Cylinder……….....15-22.........10-27
Skeet 1………….…20-27.........15-32
Imp Cylinder…...25-32.........20-37
Skeet 2…………...30-37.........25-42
Modified…………..35-42.........30-47
Imp Modified.....40-47.........35-52
Full…………..………45-52.........40-57
Extra Full………...50-57.........45–62

EFFECTIVE PATTERN DIMENSIONS (Express in Inches of Diameter)
YARDAGE……10…..20……25……30…..40
Spreader…….23…….27…….44…….51…….66
Cylinder……...20…….32…….38…….44…….57
Imp Cyl……….15…….26…….32…….38…….51
Modified………12…….20…….26…….32…….46
Full…………….. 09…….16…….21…….26…….40

Both above taken from NRA American Hunter Oct. 2006 Issue page 92

YARDAGE…..10…..15…..20…..25…..30…..35…..40…....45… ..50
Full…..............10…..15….. 20…..25….. 30…..35…....40…....45…...50
Mod….............15…..20…...25…....30…...35…....40 …..45…...50
I/C…...............20…..25…...30…....35…...40…..45…. .50
Cyl…...............25…..30…...35…....40…...45…..50

From Beretta Arms

As you can see the differences are slight, could be the amount of powder, size of wad, with or without a shot cup, size of shot cup, between the two different reports...
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Unrepentant Sinner

"Also, should I use a turkey choke with buckshot for a much tighter patter, or will buckshot destroy the choke?"

In spite of logic, a full choke does not necessarily equal to tighter patterns with buckshot. Trust me, I have tested this theory several times. The key to achieving good patterns with buckshot is to keep the pellets from being deformed on their passage through the bore. Large pellets like 00 and 000 buckshot are usually badly deformed by a full choke. The oblong and irregular shaped shot then causes irregular patterns because they do not fly straight after exiting the muzzle. I have found that an improved cylinder choke works best for me with buckshot, especially the larger sizes. The use of tighter chokes usually causes the pattern to open up more. If your shotgun is equipped with screw in choke tubes, try some of the more open chokes and see which works best in your particular shotgun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbarry201 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Deers worst nightmare

Location: Missouri born and raised in NW Florida. (moved, job stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutinajar View Post
I use 00 Buck simply because, of the sizes of buckshot, it goes on sale more often than the others. Either 000 or 00 should be fine though.

That's what my cousin says. I'd go 00 as well. Not that 000 wouldn't do fine as well...
The Following User Says Thank You to DeerK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerK View Post
That's what my cousin says. I'd go 00 as well. Not that 000 wouldn't do fine as well...
Sure it's going to be on sale but how many will you use in your HD scenarios, hopefully none! Instead of buying price buy quality or in this case quantity!

The F.B.I. uses #2 buck, many SWAT/HRT teams use either #2 or #4 and I've experimented with so many combinations that it near drove me nuts...My favourite commercial load is a heavy/magnum loading of #4 buck.

I found the ideal load was #BB (.180/46.5 oz) as a filler for #F (.220/28.1 oz) buck. Another that I found very effective was a load of #2 bird as filler for a load of #2 buck but then I handload so I can make up anything I want.

Since your ranges are going to be within, maximum, 15 yards, unless you live in a huge mansion, then it doesn't matter what you practice with as long as it has the same velocity so you can get used to the recoil and there you can get whatever you want from #7½ to #BB for what ever is on sale after duck/goose season will be the best as you'll need magnum loads to compete against even reduced loads of buck.

The problem with birdshot, especially below #2 is their inability to go through heavy clothing because the individual pellet just doesn't have enough mass to do it where the bigger and heavier pellets will. It is mass and velocity that cause penetration, take away one and the other won't do it (or won't do it as well)!

A standard 1 ounce load of #9 is 585 pellets, #4 is 135, #4 buck is 24 and #00 is 8 and that’s just to make an ounce. How much does a single pellet weigh.

The object of a shotgun is to put a spread of shot into an area that the target will fly into. It is not an aimed firearm--so to speak but a pointed one. The more pellets in the pattern the less chance the target has of getting away unscathed. A 12 ounce upland birds doesn’t require many pellets to down it; nor very big ones at that. The unfortunate fact is that the bigger the game animal the bigger the pellet required but with far less pellets in the shell.

A Magnum load of powder takes some of the room away from a load of shot and that’s why the made the 3” and then the 3½” shotshell—to get more powder (higher velocity) and more pellets (mass) together to get the job done.

I have a 3” and a 3½” coach gun that I have rigged for a HD (Home Defense) gun but I won’t practice with the 3½” shells. I went and bought two 5 packs of them, fired one out of each barrel—to see where and how they patterned and put the rest of the shells in the stock sleeve. Did the same with the 3” shells and for practice with both I use very heavy loads of 2Ύ” shells because they are so much cheaper to buy or load for.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Plinker

000 Buckshot is hard to find sometimes. Dbl 0 seems to be the most popular.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam43 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Hiker

00B bigger pellets mean bigger holes. Inside a home your not going to miss.

Lose the tight choke and go with a cylinder bore.

A flashlight on, or near the gun may be a good idea incase your power is out/cutoff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Recent Blog:
deadliest fueler

Either will work just fine. with 2 3/4" your giving up 1 pellet to go with 000 for most brands. I use 2 3/4 reduced recoil Rem 00 buck. 8 pellets of 00 will put them down just as good as 8 pellets of 000 in a short hall way. If 1 doesn't do it I got 7 more where that came from. Also 00 is usually more commonly found than 000. But I supose if your a tremendously good shot and you live alone in the middle of nowhere I guess you could use a 1 1/8 ounce hot rodded slug. That would really do the trick.

Point being it's a big F*****G shot gun so no matter what you use at a close enough range you will put them on their A**.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mastergunner82 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

I like the #1buck cause they are .30cal. and ya get 16 in a 2.75shell 24 in a 3in. shell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pierrat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Trapper

Whichever one is cheaper!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Booker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM

my buttstock saddle holds 3" 000 and my side saddle holds slugs, the buck is to start it off and the slugs will be used to pop off any runners
The Following User Says Thank You to lexmark For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
my buttstock saddle holds 3" 000 and my side saddle holds slugs, the buck is to start it off and the slugs will be used to pop off any runners
Excellent idea! Does your state have Castle Doctrine? Doesn't matter, cause if you shoot said runners, you'll be charged with murder if you get them and attempted murder if you only wound them! Once they are fleeing, they are no longer a threat and self defense no longer comes into play...

You can--"Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six"--right! Remember that if you do or don't get off from the criminal charges there's still civil court! They'll get you nearly every time with "Denying them their civil rights", but why take the chance or incur the $100,000 legal fee that goes with more then likely, two trials...

You want to shoot them twenty times, while they're standing in your house, go ahead as you shoot until the threat is stopped but if you then go over to where they are laying on the ground and put one in their head, (you know like they do in SEAL and Delta and Ranger) sorry, but that's murder and with the forensics available today, they can and will prove it...If you shoot them as they're raising a gun at you while on the floor is not the same thing, that is still self defense...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 AM

meh... if the attacker has a weapon in his hand while hes running away then he's still a threat and im taking the shot
The Following User Says Thank You to lexmark For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Unrepentant Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
meh... if the attacker has a weapon in his hand while hes running away then he's still a threat and im taking the shot
Hope you like eating peanut butter sandwiches in the graybar hotel. As was said earlier, you WILL go to prison for manslaughter or worse yet murder. It has also been mentioned about civil court. If you shoot anyone, regardless of whether or not it is justified, you WILL get socked with a lawsuit. It is a crazy and litigious world that we live in. No sense in making it any harder on yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbarry201 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwnd View Post
I like to use my Remington 870 for home defense, who doesn't right? I have several questions with this. Should I use 00 buckshot, or 000 buckshot? I know 000 has more pellets but are smaller right? and the 00 has less pellets but bigger I am pretty sure. I don't need to worry about hitting anyone with either, because my family and I have a plan all worked out in a hd situation.

Also, should I use a turkey choke with buckshot for a much tighter patter, or will buckshot destroy the choke?

All replies are greatly appreciated, thank you.
000 is a larger pellet than 00 buck, I prefer 000 in a 3" mag
The Following User Says Thank You to DBowyer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBowyer View Post
000 is a larger pellet than 00 buck....
Exactly. 000 is nominally .36. 00 is nominally .33. I say nominally because you'll sometimes find significant variances in shot sizes even in the same shotshell. In any case, either will do the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxGun For This Useful Post: