Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 AM
left coast survivalist

Default what do you store in mylar bags?

Advertise Here

I'm putting up my dry goods today. I have my rice, beans, oats, Potato Buds, barley, tea bags. Flour you would put in mylar I'm sure.
What about sugar, salt?
What do you all store in your mylar bags?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,016 Times in 973 Posts

rice, beans, tea, definitely potato buds and flour

any food that would be degraded by oxidative action, just as importantly they need an O2 absorber or the mylar is pointless, they still oxidize

sugar and salt - utterly unnecesary to mylar, but must be protected from moisture and sugar from ants, put these in a free 5 gal. bucket (without a mylar)
http://www.tacticalunderground.us/fo...bucket#p231006

Search board for O2 absorbers
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Preparing...

Can you store pasta in mylar, or will it not pack down enough to be worth it?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
left coast survivalist

I have 02 absorbers coming from USA Emergency Supply, was supposed to come with the mylar, but were left out.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Target Shooter

As long as it is reasonably dry, I try to package it.

Not all the items I package will have the same store life, but I am going t try and see what storage life I can get. I use 5 gallon buckets, bags and absorbers for large quantities, and one gallon bags and absorbers for smaller batches.

Rice, flour, tea, coffee, powdered milk, vitamins, breakfast cereals, oats, malt-o-meal, elbow macaroni, spaghetti, pinto beans, red beans, black beans, green peas, white beans, northern beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Chick peas. Guess that is enough for the moment, generally anything dry that I might want to eat later I bag, ha.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Target Shooter

Default pasta packing

As to the pasta packing question.

You are correct about some pasta being "inefficient" for packaging. IMO, elbow macaroni is a good pasta product to package, because it packs pretty well. I am not worried the shape of the pasta would affect the dish, so I plan to substitute the elbows in most pasta recipes.

This week I plan to pack some spaghetti in one gallon bags, an experiment. I have avoided this in the past, due to concerns about the spaghetti puncturing the Mylar bag. I will try to remember to post an update once I get them packaged and stored.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Scandinavian survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
This week I plan to pack some spaghetti in one gallon bags, an experiment. I have avoided this in the past, due to concerns about the spaghetti puncturing the Mylar bag. I will try to remember to post an update once I get them packaged and stored.
Please do! Ive been think about it too... No pasta can be stored as efficiently as spaghetti so it would be great if its possible. Im using 4.3 mil mylar. Could you be so kind as to include what kind of bag youll be using in the update?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Target Shooter

Your bags are slightly heavier duty than mine, (mine were listed as 3.5 mil bags). I may try a paper towel around the spaghetti ends in the bottom and top of the bag just as insurance. I plan to pack up a batch this week, will try to remember to post an after action report, ha.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Scandinavian survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,882 Posts

I thought of paper in some form. Please do post and if possible some photos.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Crumbs DM

As far as spaghetti goes - an idea is to look for the large rubbermaid screw lid jars. They are the right height for spaghetti. Now they are clear but .... a little ingenuity and judicious use of O2 absorbers and storage shouldn't be a problem IMHO. Store them in the jar and then store the jars in either cardboard boxes or the really large paper bags from the supermarket. The idea after all is to prevent light getting on them - think beer skunk
Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM

I am trying to store many various types of dried foods in a single 5g buckets with mylar and 02 absorbers. For example, in one bucket I have a few packets of grits, ramens, oatmeals, dried soups, mac n cheeses, brown gravys, potato flakes, and seasonings.

I have everything out of their main boxes and individualy packaged into small ziplock bags. I am just about ready to finish this project. I am thinking that I should poke a small hole into each ziplock so that when the o2 absorbers use up the o2, it actually gets to the food. With all the extra air space, I will use many absorbers. I am considering it long term storage and hoping the food makes it. If not, I will have back-up.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anybody else done this? Should I leave the ziplock open, poke a hole, or not at all? Will the mixing of many differnet foods have an effect?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Target Shooter

Default smaller portions

I use the large bags for bulk storage, and smaller Mylar bags where smaller portions are more appropriate.

In the spaghetti example above, a 5-6 gallon bucket would take a very long time to use up, so I may have several one gallon Mylar bags of coffee, powdered milk, in with the package of elbow macaroni in a bucket.

Individual packages allow me to open a single bag, out of the bucket of bags, and leave the rest in long term storage.

The smaller packages make sense, they more closely match typical home storage canisters etc. Having to keep a dozen 5 gallon buckets around to have the variety of dry food items for daily use would not be very convenient..
Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Hunter

I use buckets and mylar for everything but pastas, all the pastas, i have vacuumed packed in mason jars, but i have over two thou jars. I do not use oxy absorbers in sugar or salt, i find that they turn to rock hard bricks when i do.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Trapper

Is it really necessary to have mylar bags or will Seal A Meal bags, with O2 absorbers, do quite well if kept in a dark place?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturnerga View Post
Is it really necessary to have mylar bags or will Seal A Meal bags, with O2 absorbers, do quite well if kept in a dark place?

i don't really know why the seal a meal wouldn't work, i've never used them, but i would assume they would be alright. you just need some protection from the mice, like a tote from WM.
rice that has lost its white color and beans that are extra hard will be better to eat than what a lot of people will have. just put a pinch of turameric in the rice for a nice yellow color and soak the beans an extra 12 hrs.
For yrs i stored rice,beans,wheat in those plastic bottles that apple and cranberry juice come in. I now have over two hundred of them filled with water. I didn't get real serious with pails,mylar and oxy absorbers til a couple yrs ago, I now have over seven hundred dollars in those items alone.
I bought them about 5 to a time every week a few yrs ago so it didn't hurt the pocket book so bad and i only got those funny looks from my wife once a week when i brought the orange pails in.now you can get pails with the tops at HD for less than four dollars. many things you can just leave in the store package, long as its dry cool and mice free,