Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 AM

Default Military personnel shortage

Advertise Here

I'm Air national guard, former Active USAF, and there has been a surge of deployments to Afghanistan recently, Can't say who exactly, and for what (obvious reasons) so don't ask about that. But I have a concern that US forces, including reserve and national guard, would be leaving en mass, leaving the majority of the homeland in the care of NATO or Xe. Seems very wrong to me. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Target Shooter

It would clear things up, that's for sure. The PTB wouldn't have to worry about US troops firing on their own countrymen, and we wouldn't have to worry about firing on them. Hired thugs and foreign troops, no prob.

Retired Security Forces here, BTW...
Old 02-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Wide awake

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,039 Posts

Not sure this is any different than the past several years. Forces are merely being repositioned. I haven't liked our focus abroad at the expense of domestic security* since 9/11.

*Domestic security is not intended here to refer to martial law or any other type of rights infringement.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

Survival360.net
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,890 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

I've heard this from those I know in the Army Reserve as well. They just don't know when their deployment will be
Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Hunter

my nephew has been to Afgan and Iraq a couple times and is now a recruiting sar in SC,

he told me last month that they are full of enlisties. marines.

but as jobs become less, more will join the military
Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 27,661 Times in 11,353 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I think we're going to see this more and more in the years ahead. I was active duty Army 82-95, and saw the military go from a surge during the Reagan years to the Clinton's and their social experiment. And the deactivation of major units and downsizing of the Active forces.
As a former recruiter and station commander, after Desert Storm we saw our focus turn to more reserve missions (quotas) and a big push on recruiting for more Special Forces candidates. Desert Storm was the largest activation of reserve forces since WW2 (at that time), and congress was convinced they could fight and win wars with 'heavy' reserve components.
Let's face it, its cheaper to keep reserve forces than full time forces. Hopefully the reserve components will continue to get more and more current equipment (when I did a 2 yr bit in he NG after active duty, I had a Vietnam era M16! but thats another story).
I know the reserve units (on the army side at least) have taken over more and more of the different peacekeeping missions in areas like the Siani and other places that used to be strictly active units.
And yes, with the economic situation being what it is more and more will look at the military as a steady job.
Enuff of this 'old mans' war stories....just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Hunter

Some thoughts on the war? in Afghanistan
Twilight in Afghanistan
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Dog bites - Owner shoots

Default Oh yes ... there will be a shortage

At drill a recruiter friend of mine said all the bonus' are being halted after this month. Thus the incentive for joining will be gone for many. Funding is almost gone for the military. Add that to already thinned out troops ....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Hiker

Hey, it'a a huge job pursuading the rest of the world that the dollar is still the world reserve currency and that they too need a central bank so the world elite may profit from their resources and toil. It's a big job but we will "Git er done."
Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,238 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by etothepowerofx View Post
I'm Air national guard, former Active USAF, and there has been a surge of deployments to Afghanistan recently, Can't say who exactly, and for what (obvious reasons) so don't ask about that. But I have a concern that US forces, including reserve and national guard, would be leaving en mass, leaving the majority of the homeland in the care of NATO or Xe. Seems very wrong to me. Any thoughts?
I think your right...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,246 Times in 653 Posts

A lot of citizens will be surprised in the coming weeks. They mistakenly think Obama is going to start pulling folks home. But what he really said is that he's going to pull some troops from Iraq, and he's going to deploy more to Afghanistan. So the OP is probably seeing some preliminary deployments for a spring campaign.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Hunter

they should take away signing bonuses and give free land,school or income tax for people who served their county.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redflag For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,609 Times in 2,325 Posts

Let's hope we get some foreign troops here.

I think we all could use some target practice.

T
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TAKEZO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Trapper

they are gonna increase the dwell time to at least 18mo. back in the states and recrutment is on the rise due to the economy and alot of iraq is being turned back over to the iraquies so it seems to be geting better as a whole even with afgan being worse than ever
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 1,274 Times in 748 Posts
Quote:
If we are going to be attacked buy Russia or China what better than when our military is over seas transport plane make good targets for migs and sukois.Then have you heard Mexico is on the verge of over though from drug gangs.The reds would love to fill that void.We are becoming arrogant about our own defense the shanghi five China,Russia and three former soviet republics plus the posibilty of iran and pakistan.don;t count out fat man Chavez or old man Castro from joining the invasion of the U.S.
I have been saying for years since i got out of the Marines we will se enemy soldiers on our soil.some how it will in 1-20 years.call me crazy because i hope that is what it is I've had about 3 big nightmares in one year about the Russians and china attacking.Some others have told my that to i hope i'm crazy!!!!!The amount of man power china could bring alone would be 10-20 million with out even ring Russia had as many as 5.7 million in the cold war.next would be ships and planes they could travel easy ifthe hit us with a missle strike first.then cut oil and cruise missle our ships knock our transports out of the sky carpet bomb our bases in iraq and Afganistan.far feched buy Obama is pres so less far feched.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 1,274 Times in 748 Posts
Red face

Quote:
If we are going to be attacked buy Russia or China what better than when our military is over seas transport plane make good targets for migs and sukois.Then have you heard Mexico is on the verge of over though from drug gangs.The reds would love to fill that void.We are becoming arrogant about our own defense the shanghi five China,Russia and three former soviet republics plus the posibilty of iran and pakistan.don;t count out fat man Chavez or old man Castro from joining the invasion of the U.S.
I have been saying for years since i got out of the Marines we will se enemy soldiers on our soil.some how it will in 1-20 years.call me crazy because i hope that is what it is I've had about 3 big nightmares in one year about the Russians and china attacking.Some others have told my that to i hope i'm crazy!!!!!The amount of man power china could bring alone would be 10-20 million with out even ring Russia had as many as 5.7 million in the cold war.next would be ships and planes they could travel easy ifthe hit us with a missle strike first.then cut oil and cruise missle our ships knock our transports out of the sky carpet bomb our bases in iraq and Afganistan.far feched buy Obama is pres so less far feched.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,195 Times in 496 Posts

Foreign invaders wearing blue helmets will get an ugly reception.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsrogue View Post
At drill a recruiter friend of mine said all the bonus' are being halted after this month. Thus the incentive for joining will be gone for many. ....
That part i believe. If they do what you are saying, its probably a mistake though. In 1980 i enlisted, in the Air force. But i talked to the army recruiter first. Back then they had bonuses for joining the combat arms (armor, artillery, infantry) and they have had the same kind of bonuses for joining those MOS up to now. Take the bonus away and how many people are they going to get to sign up for those army core specialties. I wouldnt! Not when you can pick your own training to get job skills for later. Naturally, alot of young men do join the military because they want to be trigger pullers and a bonus probably wont affect their choice. But most people want job skills too.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Default Hypothetically speaking here, of course...

Assume for a moment that some catastrophic event (such as Biden warned us about?) were to take place here in the US. The gov't decides they're going to implement martial law and start disarming civillians so they can round them up and take them to some "containment facility"...for their own protection, of course.

This would of course require some sort of military assistance--there's no way civillian LE could take on a task of that magnitude alone. So who are they gonna call?...the Army?...the Marines?

First, I would imagine that it might prove to be somewhat difficult (but certainly not impossible) to "convince" enough US military personnel to implement such measures on their own countrymen & women. I could see that as more than a minor conflict of interests for them.

Second, should the majority of our military be involved elsewhere and unable to return to US soil in a timely enough manner, that would leave none other than the blue berets to take on the task. Somehow I doubt that there would be any such "conflict of interests" for UN forces to start kicking in doors and rounding up Americans...again, for their own good, mind you.

Again, just hypothetically speaking of course...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Target Shooter

Yeah and I heard something on the news last night while I was making dinner about how the Taliban is resurging in Pakistan, in fact they are okaying Islamic law there to appease them. With more and more of our troops being moved to Afghanistan, I sense there's gonna be conflict over that border area with the Taliban causing problems for Afghanistan....