Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes > Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here

Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,337 Times in 3,137 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default ontario 1943 M3 trench knife review

Advertise Here

credit goes to my friend sticks65 for his fighting knife thread which was the inspiration behind my decision to go with a trench knife for urban survival....
made in tne USA,
Ontario knife company made a run of the 1943 pattern theater combat knife or trenchknife, it is 1095 carbon steel,6 1/2'' spear point blade with the false edge sharpend,grooved stacked leather handle...overall length of 11'' and it comes with a real leather sheeth stitched and rivited in all the rite places.this knife came to my door for a grand total of $43.00 and i must say i really like it........

Click image for larger version

Name:	ontario knife review 001.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	11722

Name:	ontario knife review 003.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	11723

with one easy thrust i put the knife through a tin shed.if i had to cut into a shed or needed a piece of this tin for a repair or anything this knife could do that job.....

Name:	ontario knife review 005.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	11724

i used the knife to cut this hole in this heavy food grade plastic barrel,i could have used it to cut the barrel in-half to make a wash tub or water carrier who knows? and again i used a single downward thrust to see how well it would penatrait....i wasnt disapointed......

Name:	ontario knife review 006.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	11725

and of corse the obligatory fire starters....ho-hum

Name:	ontario knife review 008.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	11726

used it to cut through this 12,000lb rated cargo strap so i could use the hook, it cut through cleanly and without much effort.....

Name:	ontario knife review 009.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	11727

i then used the knife and the hook for an improvised lighting salution.....

Name:	ontario knife review 010.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	11728

as an improvised can opener it has no equal....

Name:	ontario knife review 013.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	11729

all during the test i used the factory edge, this knife was not sharpend to its full potential so i saved the tomato test for the end.....

Name:	ontario knife review 015.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	11730

in conclusion: i think this is a great knife for urban survival, it has prooved to me atleast it's usefulness as a utility knife,the grooved leather handle affords a superior grip in any condition, it is full tang and well balanced and i wouldnt have any problems useing it as a self defence knife...in fact after handeling it today i pity the Axis soldier who cought this knife from the buisness end.......
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to blue123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Target Shooter

Nice post. Good write up on the knife. Looks like you put it through a pretty good work out. Would be very hard to beat at $43.00. Nice job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daywalker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,392 Times in 13,284 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Well done 123.

There needs to be more posts like these rather than the useless schoolyard brawls.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,493 Times in 4,376 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

That is a very nice looking and strong knife there Blue,what i like about it it is not just a fighting knife like the FS it a survival knife also,a true field knife.

Good write up Bro..
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the write up and esspecially the pictures. I have been wanting one of these M3's for about two years but wasn't sure if they were well made. Thanks again. Best regards,JA
The Following User Says Thank You to JackAubrey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 AM
The Jed.

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,014 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Nice review and nice knife. I wish I still had my Granddad's issued M3 from WW2 can't remember which one he brought it home from. I actually was looking at it this weekend and was gonna take it from my brother (Yes Sticks THAT Brother), cause I don't think he can take all that good care of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JedLMF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

Hey blue, could you give me the mesasurements on the sheath, length, the spacing on the rivents and all the info so I can make a sheath for mine. I had to replace the handle on mine due to it was shot, but I put a new handle on it but it's not a leather one, but I also love my M3.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,337 Times in 3,137 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa View Post
Hey blue, could you give me the mesasurements on the sheath, length, the spacing on the rivents and all the info so I can make a sheath for mine. I had to replace the handle on mine due to it was shot, but I put a new handle on it but it's not a leather one, but I also love my M3.
sure...bare with me however and i will have all the info in a day or two.......
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,019 Times in 3,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa View Post
I had to replace the handle on mine due to it was shot, but I put a new handle on it but it's not a leather one, but I also love my M3.
Got pictures of that?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 AM

I just got the ontario 499 airforce survival knife, and it works great! Similar to the M3! Nice review
The Following User Says Thank You to theluciddreamers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi folks I am new to the site. Just saying hello. Nice review blue123. I've been in the market for one of these knives for a while. Where did you find it for 43 bucks delivered?

Thanks in advance,
ambassador
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Default Been looking for years

As a member of the First Air Commandos in WWII I carried two of the originals in Africa and CBI.
I've been looking for one since i retired in '90.
Thought I'd found the answer when i saw this one then heard those dreaded words, "MADE IN CHINA"

Is it true?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Patt View Post
As a member of the First Air Commandos in WWII I carried two of the originals in Africa and CBI.
I've been looking for one since i retired in '90.
Thought I'd found the answer when i saw this one then heard those dreaded words, "MADE IN CHINA"

Is it true?
I've wanted an M3 for a long time, but am really afraid of mail-order for just this reason (made off shore).
If I'm not mistaken, Cammilus made the originals along with Ontario. Anyone know who's got Made In USA M3's?
according to Ontarios web site, their M3's are USA made, but it doesn't look like they sell to the public.
They had Smokey Mountian Knifeworks listed as a dealer, but their catalog doesn't show trench knives.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
I've wanted an M3 for a long time, but am really afraid of mail-order for just this reason (made off shore).
If I'm not mistaken, Cammilus made the originals along with Ontario. Anyone know who's got Made In USA M3's?
according to Ontarios web site, their M3's are USA made, but it doesn't look like they sell to the public.
They had Smokey Mountian Knifeworks listed as a dealer, but their catalog doesn't show trench knives.
I did a Google search and I found Ontario 1943 M3 trench knifes on Ebay.
Starting at $ 45.00 for a copy to $600.00 for originals.
XR750
Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Default No M-3s made in america (or much of anything else)

If an american manufacturer exists today I have yet to find them. Boker sells the best looking replica I've seen, complete with the M-8 metal scabbard but again, the damned thing is made in China.
Several companies made the originals, Boker America, a subsidiary of Boker, Solingen, was one of them but they only made some 31,300 and when I saw the Boker name i assumed they were made in the US. NOT,
However the reports I've read are good and the majority of knives/cutlery made today, like everything else, is made in CHINA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cap'n Patt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,198 Posts

I bought an off shore bayonet for my Garand, it was claimed to be just like the original. Horse hockey! I had to use a Dremel tool on the slot for the lug so it would lock on, and the cheap handles had the screw going into nothing but plastic.
I did get an original USGI Korean era cut-down from Numrich, so not ALL is lost.
On a related note, a few years ago I managed to get a WWII KaBar fighting knife, complete with USN marked composite scabbard for $35. It needed some work, but it's real. It could tell some stories, I bet!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Ná satail orm

Thanked 1,195 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Patt View Post
If an american manufacturer exists today I have yet to find them. Boker sells the best looking replica I've seen, complete with the M-8 metal scabbard but again, the damned thing is made in China.
Several companies made the originals, Boker America, a subsidiary of Boker, Solingen, was one of them but they only made some 31,300 and when I saw the Boker name i assumed they were made in the US. NOT,
However the reports I've read are good and the majority of knives/cutlery made today, like everything else, is made in CHINA
I know this thread is a little dusty but I thought I'd add my 2 cents for anyone doing a search............ I recently purchased one of the Boker M3 reproductions and am very happy with it. The overall finish is very good, especially the leather handle, better than the Ontario I looked at. I'm kind of bummed it's made in China but it's still a decent piece. It's not much consolation but the M8A1 scabbard is made in Germany. Wish it was the other way around.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 AM

I bought the Boker but wasn't thrilled with the aluminum guard and pommel. I was expecting steel, I guess.

Ontario didn't make these during WWII. When Camillus went out of business, Ontario acquired the mold from them.

Case made a very nice version during WWII.

To me, it's a dagger, not a knife.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:33 PM

No those M8 scabbards are made in china, only distributed by a company in Germany
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Great all around blade. Very nicely reviewed.