Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes > Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here

Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,900 Times in 1,819 Posts
Default Cold Steel Recon Scout - Review -SK5

Advertise Here

Cold Steel Recon Scout - SK5 Steel
Blade Length: 7 1/2"
Blade Thickness: .25+"
Overall Length: 12 1/2"
Price: 50.00 shipped on E-bay

I believe I lucked up and found a Recon Scout for 50.00 shipped! After reading a bunch of negatives about it and the Handle, I was hesitant to pay full price, knowing I was going to butcher it to fit my needs.

The sheath is plastic, with many mounting options, and holds the knife firmly with out snapping the strap. Reaching for your knife and finding an empty sheath would be a major bummer. The webbing is Velcro with a snap, making removal and installation on a belt easier. The sheath can hold a great deal of para cord, too.

The fit, finish, and sharpness is very good. Hair popping sharp. The hand guard does rattle when chopping, but it does Not feel loose.

The SK5 high carbon steel performs as expected. The knife has a good feel and weight. It was a very good tool for cutting and making a couple walking sticks. Stripping bark, fuzzy sticks, and chopping on old tough weathered Cedar and green Sweet Gum was no sweat for this knife. The blade shape is good for tactical and survival situations IMO.

The Rubberized handle is good for me. I could see how it could cause uncallused hands a problem. While chopping, I use a lanyard and hang the last finger or two off to get extra swing leverage. It does Not slip. The rubber handle reduces shock from chopping and a new handle can be installed if it wears out.

I did some mods with a grinder. The hand guard on the spine was reduced and the choil for the finger was lengthened for my fat finger. Now I can really choke up on the blade if needed. I reprofiled the cutting edge a little and it performs even better. See pics.

So far it is the best large knife in my collection. It gives me Confidence that it will not fail. It will be the one that goes with me, SHTF.

Pros
Incredible knife for the price
Chops saplings quick and easy
Cannot bend knife with my hands - 1st test on all knives
Does Not bend and feels sturdy splitting/battoning wood
Holds an edge well
Great sheath

Cons
Hand guards rattles a little when chopping - Does Not feel loose
MADE IN CHINA
Choil is small - I fixed it
Hand guard on spine side too big - I fixed it
Attached Thumbnails
Recon Mod.jpg   Recon splitting.jpg   Recon Tree.jpg  

Last edited by kajunman1; 02-15-2009 at 12:40 AM..
Old 02-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

I'm not positive on this, but I think that Cold steel makes 2 versions of most of their knives. Affordable stainless steel models ,and high dollar carbon steel models which run 2-3 times the price of the stainless versions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalypse Now For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Survivor

VG-1 San Mai III is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SK5 is like 1080 high carbon

http://www.coldsteel.com/faqs.html#VG1%20stainless
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
one day at a time

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,064 Posts

Great review!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingjames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 PM

Good review, could have used some more pictures of what you put it through, but no biggy, I am suprised that it the blade rattles in the handle a little bit though.

SK5 High Carbon is the SHIZNAZ, unfortunately they are no longer making their knives with it, they stopped producing that steel so they are now making them from a high grade stainless steel. Still good knives. But I prefer High Carbon for using the knife to start fires with flint.

If you can get ahold of the SK5 SRK's they are the bomb!
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Actually, Carbon V is the old steel. Carbon V seems much harder than SK5.
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 AM

I certainly love mine, I didn't notice any "rattle" in the guard. Although I have only had it for a few months now. So after a year of batoning through logs we'll see. I let it have it during a five day camping trip in southern Missouri, including hitting that hand guard many times with the baton. It was rock solid and gave me a lot of confidence in it. I found that the bigger the club you use the better it blasts through the logs, I called my final giant Bam Bam. Another thing to remember is not to take off more than it should chew. It is still a shorter blade than some, so work the logs down. I seriously thought about getting the bigger Trailmaster instead, although the plastic sheath and lighter weight finally won me over. Great knife....I'll never enter the back country without it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Photofudge For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM

I picked up two Sk5 CS recon scouts and 1 trailmaster shortly after they stopped production. I didn't know it at the time I picked them up but I'm sure glad I did. They are awesome in hand...you just know they can handle the abuse. I should have kept the boxes....I always use what I buy...but this year I just couldn't find the time. I picked up 2 BK2 and 2 BK11's as well to train my boy on. (yep...one set for dad and one set for jr., that way there is no excuses).
The Following User Says Thank You to 14DFASniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Target Shooter

I have an OLDER Like 10 or 12 years old Recon Scout and the LTC KUHKRI. I love both and can shave if needed with the LTC KUHKRI (not that I would want to! Anyway I have heard that now Cold Steel uses China steel for there blades? Is that true? Sounds like you got lucky on getting the older style Recon.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Prepared

Good review.

The Kajundude is correct. Carbon V is the old, legendary steel. Camullus forged this steel, and used it in their own blades under a different name. I still own 3 Recon Scouts in Carbon V. These knives are incredible, and I've always wondered if the SK5 carbon steel can compare.

I own and like knives from many makers. You will hear haters of CS as a company, but few say anything bad about Carbon V. There was a thread on a knife formum a few years ago about a CS Carbon V Recon Scout snapping at the handle in the cold. Caused quite the stir, but for those who have used and trusted these knives for years it made no difference. Men go to war with these knives and swear by them. I have never had any problems with mine after 7 years. Like the OP, I modified mine, because the top handguard was too large.

When camping with friends, everyone wants my old Carbon V Recon Scout. No wonder they go for $350+ on ebay if you can even find one.

If the SK5 is anything close to Carbon V, then you have yourself a fantastic knife... after a few personal mods.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARWAG View Post
I have an OLDER Like 10 or 12 years old Recon Scout and the LTC KUHKRI. I love both and can shave if needed with the LTC KUHKRI (not that I would want to! Anyway I have heard that now Cold Steel uses China steel for there blades? Is that true? Sounds like you got lucky on getting the older style Recon.
True. CS uses many steels from many countries. I like their US and Japanese blades best. These are getting harder to find, and more expensive.

Their newer offerings come from China, Taiwan, ?Pakistan?, Africa. One problem with the nonUS or nonJapan blades is inconsistency in the grinds. I have held ten knives of the same type from the lower tier countries, and they are all different. CS used to be upfront about where each blade was made. Now, their catalgos only show where SOME blades were made, since the same steel may have come from different countries. Is this bad? Depends. The blades are less expensive. But you also sacrafice that good old quality I knew from 20+ years ago.

A US or Japan made knife is pretty consistently high quality.

Glad to hear of another lucky soul to have the old Carbon V. There was an uproar in the online community when CS stopped the Carbon V. The haters were celebrating. Those who use these knives couldn't believe it. Hold on to them. They are worth quite a bit today, and may be worth more later.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Furry

I came into my San Mai 3 Version of the Scout some time back, and Having said that; The SK5 Version and newer version are just as good; dont let steels fool you; if you intend to keep a clean blade like most responsible people do than it dosn't matter which one you buy. i will go back to the shop and probably buy two more Scouts just to always have one if they decide to discontinue them again. I also try to ensure they are always sharp and ready to go; keep them stored outside their sheaths in the cardboard sleeves they come in and coat them every 6 months with a dry lube rather than hose them down with oil.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer

Default Recon

Kajunman,

I have a Carbon V. I moded the grip and the sheath. Great knife. Been tempted to grind off the top guard myself. You are making me consider it. Usually I can choke past it but I my go for it.

Grip mod: Ranger bands to create palm swell.

Sheath mod: Leather back loop for high & tight ride on belt and post for lanyard loop to have secondary retention since I dropped the original floppy sheath attachment.
BTW: the photos are OLD. It is now well used!

The Following User Says Thank You to stevelutah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearspirit View Post
I came into my San Mai 3 Version of the Scout some time back, and Having said that; The SK5 Version and newer version are just as good; dont let steels fool you; if you intend to keep a clean blade like most responsible people do than it dosn't matter which one you buy. i will go back to the shop and probably buy two more Scouts just to always have one if they decide to discontinue them again. I also try to ensure they are always sharp and ready to go; keep them stored outside their sheaths in the cardboard sleeves they come in and coat them every 6 months with a dry lube rather than hose them down with oil.
Good to know. I have always wondered how the newer steels compare. I own so many good knives already, I did not want to plop down some more money just to find out.

You would be doing yourself a favor to get some backups if the SK5s are truly that good. I am glad I got my backups. What i regret most is that I did not buy more back then... they were brand new Carbon V Recon Scouts in the unopened package going for $65!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Prepared

[QUOTE=stevelutah;1886499]Kajunman,

I have a Carbon V. I moded the grip and the sheath. Great knife. Been tempted to grind off the top guard myself. You are making me consider it. Usually I can choke past it but I my go for it.

Very cool looking ranger bands. How did you do this? Where can I get the materials?

If this knife is for use and not collectable, then I suggest go ahead and modify the handguard. Made a huge difference in how it handled for me. After cutting off the top portion of the veeery long handguard, I was able to grip the knife in ways not possible.

Also, the original R Scouts came with a leather sheath. These have a smaller handguard than the newer ones that came with the plastic sheath at around 2005. Some lamo complained to CS that they cut themselves badly because the previous already large handguard was not large enough, so CS enlarged it further before they came out with a new sheath. In other words, since you have the plastic sheath, then you have a Carbon V R Scout with the veeery large handguard... I say modify away. I had multple versions of each.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Chief Cook&Bottle Washer

Steel wrote:

Very cool looking ranger bands. How did you do this? Where can I get the materials?

Ranger Bands are bicycle tire inner tubes cut to whatever length you need. On this grip I cut 4 separate pieces and wrestled them onto the grip in a stacked fashion. I also use to slip over belts straps etc...

If you Google it you can see videos for all types of uses.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevelutah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Prepared

Ranger bands = bike inner tubes.

I knew people who did this for pistol handles to increase traction. I didn't figure they were small enough to knife handles.

Lern sumfin new eech day. Thanks Steve!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Furry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele80 View Post
Good to know. I have always wondered how the newer steels compare. I own so many good knives already, I did not want to plop down some more money just to find out.

You would be doing yourself a favor to get some backups if the SK5s are truly that good. I am glad I got my backups. What i regret most is that I did not buy more back then... they were brand new Carbon V Recon Scouts in the unopened package going for $65!
WOW that was a very good deal; the San Mai is okay for me because I can leave it a little longer between touch ups, but knowing this you are alot smarter to stay with the SK-5 models. the cutting ability of the San Mai 3 is very nice, it is a little smoother than my SK-5 Trailmaster, but thats just that comparison, My San Mai Natchez is brand new edge so its still one step below a razor.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Default mr. kajunman happy with sk5 recon scout

Mr. Kajunman congrats on a great deal...may - ask you a question?...do you have any cold steel carbonV knives?....I'm curious if you compared the two steels...seriously I can't imagine a knife that is 5/16's thick NOT being a good tool even if it's made out of a plain 440 steel....then - read some guys think the carbonV is similar to the 1095 and cold stell in their catolog say the sk5 is a 1050 equivalent steel...and - also like your modification you did on your knife...something to think about my fat fingers too :he he he....in another post someone wrote that the gaurd rattled...I never experianced thatbut all my k-bars eventually do loosen in time...mr. Kajunman do you have any ideas how to tighten the gaurds on my k-bars?...I like the 1095 they make...I have the major knife makers...onterio,k-bar and camlilus ALL of them with leather handles loosen....by the way I suspect my camillu I a carbonV I don't know which I like better of the three specs are close but a bit diff in each any suggs on how to tighten them?...again congrats....and II'll give you 50 bucks for yours since its been used he he he...I wish you reply to the fact of comparing the sk5 and the carbonV....thanku very much in advance.....Pauls
Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 PM

I also got lucky with my trail master I bought it late 1970's I paid $180.00 infact the shoi isn't smooth but has a nipple notch between the bvlade and the gaurd thev workmanship on the lamination is so much better then my newer natchez then, you couldn't tell wherethe lamination is. I hope cold steel tighten up their belt and start with the qualiy that madde them.I feel lucky I bougght it then, the wear and tear is soooo much better then my black sable or my talwar it was much better then. As far as the price $180.00 as. Far as -'m concerned was a steal.