Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Default Ithaca vs. Mossberg 500

Advertise Here

Hello, i'm trying to decide on what to get for my first shotgun, I found a few second hand ones in my price range but i'm not sure what to get. Which would be the better choice, a mossberg 500 or an Ithaca?

many thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Off-roadie

some of the old Ithacas can be slam fired, kinda cool! hard to beat the mossberg witch is one tough weapon. 870's are also worth a close look. of the three the mossy and the Remington have the most available parts to trick it out, or to have spare parts (always a good idea)
Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,705 Posts

mossberg 500 mossberg 500 mossberg 500 mossberg 500
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Hippie Stomper!

Default Go with the Mossberg!

I've only shot a couple of Ithaca's and didn't like either one,personally. The bottom ejection is weird to me, because I'm so used to Mossberg's and Remingtons. Go with the Mossberg or find a Remington 870, you'll be glad you did. Well, I'll kinda take back what I said about Ithaca's, I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those old Ithaca Roadblocker's semi auto 10 gauge with a 21" barrel.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,668 Posts

Having a Mossberg 500 with 150 round through it in the last month, I can only commend the Mossberg 500 for being a fantastic gun. I have owed the same Remington 870 for 23 years without 1 issue. As far as Ithaca I have no experience. But I will say whatever you pay for a Mossberg 500, it is a gun you can trust your life to, and is a great buy for the money.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM

sounds good, I guess i'll go with a mossy

thanks guys
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,340 Posts

I had an old Ithaca Deerslayer back in the 80's that I got from my grandfather.

I had just re-enlisted and was on a cruise and my then wife was in charge of setting up us moving to our next PCS in Florida from Rhode Island. The movers came and shipped our stuff to Florida under her direction. She then went up to stay with her folks until I got my orders and outchopped from my ship that was in the Eastern Med at the time to our next duty station. Guess what? No Ithaca Deerslayer and no compound hunting bow either that listed on any manifest..they stole it.

Military guys, make SURE that your wife gets this right if you are doing a PCS / Orders or those criminals will steal ya blind...It's no wonder I fired her ass a couple years later...
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Unrepentant Sinner

I have MY grandfather's old deerslayer. It is a really well build shotgun. Mine is a smooth bore with rifle sights, meaning that I can used buckshot or slugs. It is a dandy home defense weapon. I like it because of it's "old school" qualities. No high speed low drag "tacticool" crap, just a good functional weapon. If you care to accessorize, get the Mossberg, if you want a no nonsense killing tool, get the Ithaca.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM

The Ithycas are really tough guns, well built. I don't know that they would perform any better than a Mossy though, my dad loves the Ithycas because he shoots left handed and it doesn't throw the shell across his face. That would be the only advantage I could see to an Ithyca
Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Living the Obomination

Thanked 2,103 Times in 831 Posts

I'd take the Ithaca over the Mossburg.
I have an old Ithaca that has been chopped to the legal limit, parkerized and has packmyer a "enforcer" pistol grip and forend. Its one of my favorite guns. The bottom eject is awesome! I can turn the gun upside down and eject an empty shell with enough force to hit a 9' ceiling hard! Thats positive ejection! I had the opportunity to handle a couple new Ithaca shot guns at the last gunshow. I guess someone bought what was left of the old company. The guns seemed ok but not of the quality of the old model 37 in my opinion.
I wish I had bought the Ithaca riot gun I handled a couple years ago at a show. I have not seen one like it since. I'd also consider the Remington 870. I have a couple of those.