Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,419 Times in 674 Posts
Default Fortifications - defensive military works

Advertise Here

fortifications -
“the art or science of constructing defensive military works”

When the bullets start flying are you going to be able to take cover? Or is the first zombie with an AK going to shred your house/condo/apartment like swiss cheese? and kill you & your family in the process?

Don’t fall for the Hollywood illusion that you can dive behind a wall made of sheetrock, isulation & siding for protection. Drive by shootings kill people because bullets go all the way through modern homes.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not ready. At this point I only have a couple places with decent cover in our house. The built in planters in my sunroom are brick on two sides with 18 inches of dirt in the middle & I will be behind two rows of these planters in our great room. This is where we will be sleeping... but

The problem with this position is that my field of view is very limited so I’ve developed plans of building a fortification on our front wrap around porch. If done properly I will be able to protect our two main entry points. And have a clear shot of anyone approaching from the road. (the rear of our house is a whole different situation)

I’m going with two rows of 8-10 inch hickory logs filled with a foot of rocks & red clay pounded in between these rows. Also going to put in three additional posts to hold up the roof as the railing that is currently there will collapse pretty easy if we come under any heavy fire.

What have you done or are you planning on doing in this area when the spinning blades start flinging the smelly stuff all over the place?

I’m willing to change my plans if I come across better ideas.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Micah525 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Here's a man who stood up

Check this site out.

The audio was bad for me but you get the idea.

There was also a ballistics penetration chart in Bruce Claytons book "Life after Doomsday"

I was shocked at some of the data in that book.

I think you may need more thickness to your defenses.

I'll look it up and post chart come next week if interested.

http://www.greatamericans.com/videos...-leathernecker
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wind For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,309 Times in 636 Posts

Myth dBusters did a segment on cutting down a tree with bullets, very interesting how much it takes. when my brother was much younger he forgot to clear the chamber when cleaning a High Standard .22 the bullet went through two walls and ended up in the bathtub, that was just a .22
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taisdealach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
AKA The Dragon

Thanked 1,943 Times in 949 Posts

Here is a link for building sand bag walls. The original concept on this link is for flooding,
But with some variation sandbag walls can provide good protection from small arms fire.

http://www.midbeds.gov.uk/Images/115..._tcm5-6644.pdf
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
This is a great survival forum

find and read the FM titled"Survivability".
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Here is a good link to an unclassified military training vid showing the effect of penetration of different calibers on different materials, good info, mil approved.

edit> sorry just realized it was the same vid as above, when I read the post I thought of this vid.

Last edited by Ghost Dog; 02-13-2009 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: correction
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghost Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,823 Times in 3,566 Posts

Makin yer house bullet proof is an expensive proposition.
you are right to concentrate on whatever fighting positions you will use. a wooden dirt filled planter around front will give good protection - but - it is an exposed position.
planters on outside of the windows you will use in defense of entrances will be easier, and quicker to man, as you will probably not be waiting outside for an assault, but inside when danger knocks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mongoose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Grouchy Infidel

Thanked 3,175 Times in 888 Posts

I'll post something more comprehensive later regarding improvised cover techniques using common materials that do not seem out of place.

For now take a look at this after action report. They cover penetration or lack there of, through common walls in Afghanistan. This is a USMC report regarding Afgan ambush tactics but also covers defensive positions.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/ima...untain.ppt#298
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmokinOnion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,949 Times in 3,505 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quite a bit in the NBC Survival section on fortifications especially bunkers etc. Maybe check out the "photos of my underground shelter" thread and fallout shelter threads etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,757 Times in 2,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah525 View Post
fortifications -
ďthe art or science of constructing defensive military worksĒ

When the bullets start flying are you going to be able to take cover? Or is the first zombie with an AK going to shred your house/condo/apartment like swiss cheese? and kill you & your family in the process?

Donít fall for the Hollywood illusion that you can dive behind a wall made of sheetrock, isulation & siding for protection. Drive by shootings kill people because bullets go all the way through modern homes.

Iíll be the first to admit that Iím not ready. At this point I only have a couple places with decent cover in our house. The built in planters in my sunroom are brick on two sides with 18 inches of dirt in the middle & I will be behind two rows of these planters in our great room. This is where we will be sleeping... but

The problem with this position is that my field of view is very limited so Iíve developed plans of building a fortification on our front wrap around porch. If done properly I will be able to protect our two main entry points. And have a clear shot of anyone approaching from the road. (the rear of our house is a whole different situation)

Iím going with two rows of 8-10 inch hickory logs filled with a foot of rocks & red clay pounded in between these rows. Also going to put in three additional posts to hold up the roof as the railing that is currently there will collapse pretty easy if we come under any heavy fire.

What have you done or are you planning on doing in this area when the spinning blades start flinging the smelly stuff all over the place?

Iím willing to change my plans if I come across better ideas.
That's all well and good but what IF someone throws a Molotev Cocktail on your roof to get your home to burn down ??? Is your roof tin to help prevent a fire ? Just thinking of all scenarios..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 02:20 AM
smilin or showin my teeth

plater boxes are always good, but loose gravel and sand are often far more effecive than resisting small arms fire than anything else, especcially hardpacked stuff (strange but true)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 AM

"fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man"

I prefer to stay on the move, even in a NBC environment I would rather be in the woods on the move than tied down to a location and just hoping my house is bulletproof, sealed, and stocked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TayoftheDead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayoftheDead View Post

I prefer to stay on the move, even in a NBC environment I would rather be in the woods on the move than tied down to a location and just hoping my house is bulletproof, sealed, and stocked.
you be out on the move, with the millions of othrs tryng the same thing, fixed fortifictions are a good thing.... the unwillingness to see that there are always circumstances that could cause you to abandon them and to plan for that is the stupid thing
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stonewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,949 Times in 3,505 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayoftheDead View Post

I knew a Green Beret guy who said he was going to have caches of food and then be on the move if TSHTF, collapse, whatever. He could probably do that but most cannot.

In a NBC environment I would not want to be wandering around in nuclear fallout, biological or chemical contamination. There are many books written about all this - Ragnar Benson has two about Survival Retreats

There are some I know who have good BOLocations and some who more than just Hope their house is bulletproof etc. Here is mine >

http://mtnmanmike.angelfire.com/mtnm...ivate-road?i=0
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 AM

really, running around outside in NBC if you dont gotta....

Now, where did I put tha zombie killing shovel? (THIS ISNT A JOKE, ALL OF MY SHOVELS HAVE SHARPENED EDGES !!!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 AM
"Somebody Get a Rope"

Thanked 1,149 Times in 543 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Here is a good link to an unclassified military training video showing the effect of penetration of different calibers on different materials, good info, mil approved
Very sobering video. I had always thought that brick and blocks were better cover than that.

So much for hiding out at home.

I need some ideas now about constructing a safe room.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elgin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
READY&ABLE

question? how are you going to defend all four corners of your house? unless you have help, a one man stand off is a hopeless cause...if your attackers are smart they will keep you occupied, while they attack from the side or rear.....also you need kill zones and fields of fire to have an effective defensive position...structures(fences,walls,burms) that funnel your attackers, so you can cut them down...your going to need help and spotters to keep the position...good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aka"militiamike" For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 AM

I was saying in *my* situation I would rather be on the move than cooped up. I live in slum housing in the middle of a bad part of town. I wouldn't trust my walls to stop a knife, let alone a bullet/car/nuke/chemical attack. At least in the woods I can move and get away from whatever is happening. Gesh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TayoftheDead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Hiker

An additional idea. You can fill your walls with gravel. It will stop some bullets and the others it will throw it off of their axis. This will cause a marked reduction in the bullet's energy. So if it doesn't stop it it will definatley slow it down and scrub a lot of power from it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oscar615 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 PM

I think your best bet would be to have a basement that is 3/4 or more underground with windows at the top of the foundation walls with sandbags stacked along the inside of the windows to avoid looking to conspicious.

If your house has such a basement, that would be your best bet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schwillis For This Useful Post: