Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Advertise Here

Urine is sterile until it contacts something... like your skin on its way out of your body.
But so is boiled water. But it's not going to kill bacteria.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Farmer

Thanked 22,295 Times in 9,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahtar View Post
Urine is sterile until it contacts something... like your skin on its way out of your body.
But so is boiled water. But it's not going to kill bacteria.
I disagree.

Urine while it is still within your body, is capable of supporting fungi infections.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM

you might be growing penicilin right now in your cupboard/fridge-- but how could you verify it?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,719 Times in 472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwind View Post
fresh urine is very good or cleaning a wound
Urine from an noninfected bladder is sterile, but that is all it is good for.

There is nothing antiseptic about urine. But, if you really have no other sterile fluid to irrigate a wound then go ahead and hose yourself down...

...but realize that the moment you stop ****ing all over yourself, the 99.99% of the bacteria that you didn't flush away will now find the organic molecules such as the small amounts of sugar, fatty acids, creatinine, urea etc. quite tasty and will thank you for the nutrients by increasing their population.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michigan_RN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,295 Times in 9,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan21 View Post
you might be growing penicilin right now in your cupboard/fridge-- but how could you verify it?
I trained micro-biologist might be able to distinguish, short of that few people could.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 31,126 Times in 9,641 Posts

Has anyone mentioned garlic? Garlic is supposed to be a very potent antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial agent. It's pretty easy to grow. My parents grow it.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM

lets clear some things up

urine is sterile till it hits your urethera

sugar kills bacteria because it sucks the water out of the bacteria, same with salt (why your pickles and jams last so long)

Lamb you sound like a quack. I work in an ER and you saying that thyme/ rosemary will cure sepsis is laughable. have you ever see a septic person? Do you know what being septic does to your kidneys? you die very quickly when you are septic, you need IMMEDIATE intervention with a substance that kills bacteria cells on a large scale----antibiotics.
in your links to papers "with evidence" of your claims none of the people writing them have any credentials and thus should not be taken seriously. and plus you just copied and pasted all of them from one WEAK articles refrences..

Cure staph with weed HAHAHAHa, yeah right. once again, go to a hospital with a person whose arm is swollen up with a giant staph infection and tell them about you weed remedy. you will be laughed out of the place
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosss View Post
lets clear some things up

urine is sterile till it hits your urethera

sugar kills bacteria because it sucks the water out of the bacteria, same with salt (why your pickles and jams last so long)

Lamb you sound like a quack. I work in an ER and you saying that thyme/ rosemary will cure sepsis is laughable. have you ever see a septic person? Do you know what being septic does to your kidneys? you die very quickly when you are septic, you need IMMEDIATE intervention with a substance that kills bacteria cells on a large scale----antibiotics.
in your links to papers "with evidence" of your claims none of the people writing them have any credentials and thus should not be taken seriously. and plus you just copied and pasted all of them from one WEAK articles refrences..

Cure staph with weed HAHAHAHa, yeah right. once again, go to a hospital with a person whose arm is swollen up with a giant staph infection and tell them about you weed remedy. you will be laughed out of the place
So what would you recommend other than antibiotics which are difficult to produce and don't store well? What's the alternative?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentWoodfield View Post
Well, the stuff on rye is egot and not mold. Powerful stuff ergot.
LSD would result from laboratory work with it.

The first antibiotics resulted from the observation that a dye caused
germs to die. After observing antibiotic substances being secreted by molds
on agar plate cultures of germs , a plea went out to collect samples from soil and other such places from around the world. Many antibiotics were discovered. Most far too toxic to humans to be of any real use.
Some of the more toxic are with us still as topicals- such as
polymixin in ointments. Terribly toxic to kidneys if used systemically.

Things like penicillin are made from starter cultures that are brewed
in large vats, but the isolation of the antibiotic substances requires a
sophisticated laboratory. Garlic juice, honey, bread mold and other raw sources antimicrobial substances have been used for 1000's of years,
but duplicating modern antibiotics as pills and injectables is far beyond
kitchen labs.
Soldiers in all wars before antibiotics would use honey on wounds. Honey is too acid for bacteria to live in it, so it did work as a wound dressing. There are components in onions and garlic that are antibacterial, it isn't just an old wives tale. Aloe vera is actually a relative of garlic and also have antiseptic properties. Pine tar is another one. You can grow echinacea (Purple cone flower). Goldenseal is another good antibacterial. Google other natural antibacterials...there are several. All of these are good first aid to prevent an infection...you may need something stronger to actually cure a bad infection.
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
Soldiers in all wars before antibiotics would use honey on wounds. Honey is too acid for bacteria to live in it, so it did work as a wound dressing. There are components in onions and garlic that are antibacterial, it isn't just an old wives tale. Aloe vera is actually a relative of garlic and also have antiseptic properties. Pine tar is another one. You can grow echinacea (Purple cone flower). Goldenseal is another good antibacterial. Google other natural antibacterials...there are several. All of these are good first aid to prevent an infection...you may need something stronger to actually cure a bad infection.
And that's really the key with these remedies, isn't it? To prevent an infection or catch it early. I dont' think anybody here believes these will cure sepsis.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Human Unit View Post
So what would you recommend other than antibiotics which are difficult to produce and don't store well? What's the alternative?

You die.

If I was buggin out indefinetley I would stay away from others as much as possible (germs/disease). Try to stay in good physical and mental shape. Hopefully have iodine for cuts and other skin wounds that are bound to happen. The rest would be up to chance. but lets face it antibiotics are a life saver for so many things, there is no substitute.

another thing to think about is after a generation of no immunizations (guess this is geared more for widespread SHTF) for the kiddos old diseases would rear their head across the nation. polio, pertussis, measles, diptheria, etc. large scale outbreaks would take place. would you be able to home remedy immunizations? proably not
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,494 Times in 15,653 Posts

Those diseases died off more because of soap and water. And better/smarter living conditions, than vaccines
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Trapper

Talking

I posted this for another thread but it is useful to state again just how hard it is to produce antibiotics.

Antiseptics are easy, but antibiotics are not.

You will not be producing antibiotics at home, period.

Quote:
...As for producing homemade antibiotics, forget about it. Antibiotics were not able to be reliably made, even with multimillion dollar laboratories until the 1940. The process is just too difficult. To give an example or two, in 1924 the Surgeon General sat with the President of the United States and watched his son, Calvin Coolidge Jr., die of a blister between his toes because there was no such thing as antibiotics yet. The first person to ever be given penicillin had his urine collected to remove the excreted antibiotic from his pee rather than make more!

To make 2 grams worth of doses from the fungus you would require over 2000kg of the fungus to get the 1 part per million of the active ingredient... and that is with NO production loss, which reality tells us is actually only an 18% efficient process in a lab, so multiply that about six times!

So, while growing your own food, chopping your own wood, and fighting off zombie hordes... somewhere you will also bake enough bread media on which to grow 12 metric tons of P. notatum.

...Then in your spare time you must discover how to make the intervening catalytic enzymes that are needed for the epimerization of the tricyclic rings into a usable substrate for the final oxidation of the ring structure...
and that gives you your FIRST daily dose! Now go make the following week's worth.

I am a chem. eng/biochemist turned nurse that spent a decade working as a pharmaceutical engineer... I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to make this crap.

And penicillin is by far the easiest of the antibiotics to manufacture. (So the next time you see someone bitching about the cost of pharmaceuticals, tell them to shut up)

Homemade antibiotics ain't gunna happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michigan_RN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Taoist

Thanked 2,219 Times in 886 Posts

Oh, for heaven's sake, just go to a feed store and buy some. You can get a large packet of Tetracycline for about 5 bucks. Get some OO gelatin caps and fill them up. I've got 4 bags downstairs in the freezer.

Last edited by Sage0925; 03-17-2010 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: addition
The Following User Says Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

I used to buy sulfa that way too...at the feed store.

A useful product to have with any antibacterial poultice is a pure DMSO. ( Dimethyl Sulfoxide). The DMSO mixed with the antibiotic gets the antibiotic into your bloodstream when applied to the skin. I've treated abscesses on wild cats in my neighborhood with that and it worked. It can't be used for long because it has side effects after awhile. An abscess is something that should be treated by a doctor if one is available, though. DMSO is also used for arthritis and musculo-skeletal injuries, mostly in horses. It gives you a lovely scent of rotten oysters, but...
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Taoist

Thanked 2,219 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
I used to buy sulfa that way too...at the feed store.

A useful product to have with any antibacterial poultice is a pure DMSO. ( Dimethyl Sulfoxide). The DMSO mixed with the antibiotic gets the antibiotic into your bloodstream when applied to the skin. I've treated abscesses on wild cats in my neighborhood with that and it worked. It can't be used for long because it has side effects after awhile. An abscess is something that should be treated by a doctor if one is available, though. DMSO is also used for arthritis and musculo-skeletal injuries, mostly in horses. It gives you a lovely scent of rotten oysters, but...
Not that I am arguing with any of your points, but my sister-in-law, the veternarian (sic) says that DMSO will make your mouth taste like a**. And she says that the mint flavored stuff will make your mouth taste like mint-flavored a**. She didn't argue that it DOES work, but once it gets into a human's blood stream, you won't like the taste in your mouth. I was going to try it out on some arthritic pain I was having, but decided against it.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,833 Times in 815 Posts

Maggots are for dead flesh [watch the movie 'Gladiator']...penicillin is for infection. Me, I get my penicillin from blue cheese. I figure I'm immune from just about anything from how much of that stuff I eat...
Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Right Handed

Go to the Doc begining of every flu season. tell em' your sick and get general antibiotics for a couple bucks... most will even give you sample ones for free. Hold on to them in case you need.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Guy View Post
Go to the Doc begining of every flu season. tell em' your sick and get general antibiotics for a couple bucks... most will even give you sample ones for free. Hold on to them in case you need.
I want the name of any doctors that are giving you antibiotics for the influenza.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michigan_RN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Right Handed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_RN View Post
I want the name of any doctors that are giving you antibiotics for the influenza.
Sorry RN my mothers a nurse also. did not mean any harm by that. (she would be upset) Just sayin' that if you feel you "need" antibiotics to store, you "could" just get them by saying your sick... thats all. and keep them for later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii Guy For This Useful Post: